Search Unity

TowerDefense ToolKit 4

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Song_Tan, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Good spot there! I've only just received the email about the confirmation. I myself wasn't aware that the package has gone live.

Yes, it's a separate package from TDTK3. However existing TDTK user should be able to get it as a $15 upgrade instead of a full price purchase. I've only just set this up so that's why it wasn't showing earlier. If you have only recently purchase it (within 60 days), you can get the upgrade for free. This is a one off upgrade by the way, you will still get free update for the current cycle of TDTK, if there's any.

Please understand that since TDTK was first published in 2011, I have provide free major update and support to all user. I feel like it's only fair that I'm compensated. I should say that TDTK3 is still a very competent package if you don't feel like paying for the upgrade.

2. imgumby

imgumby

Well now it's showing as 75% off with a price of $15.,,,so new users can buy latest for $15 and if I want to update I get to ultimately pay $75 ...(original 60 + 15 upgrade fee) ...I don't understand why original users..the ones who ostensibly helped you refine the product...are penalized by having to pay more than new users for the same product...the logic escapes me..even if it's corrected soon I still get the joy of paying $15 more than the next guy for the same product....not fair..
    You provided free updates all that time due to that pesky rule #9 in your developers guidelines requiring free updates for existing users...

edit: now this appears on TDTK 3.x page...DEPRECATED

DISCLAIMER: This is an older version of TDTK that has been discontinued. If you are interested in the latest version, please see the one in this link instead.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  3. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I'm not looking to convince you or start an argument here.

You pay for a premium product at the time of your purchase that is guarantee to work for a foreseeable future, not all the future new addition/feature. Just like you don't expect your Apple to give you the latest iPhone for free when you have purchase the previous generation of iPhone.

The bottom line is, The new upgrade is not mandatory. If you think the new features and improvements are not worth the $15, you don't have to upgrade it. You still have a working TDTK3 that I'll keep maintaining for existing user.

Disclaimer: I don't know about the rules in developer guidelines. As the name suggests, it's a guidelines. For me, I make sure my product are bug free out of obligation and add new feature/improvement out of good will.

Proto-G likes this.
  4. imgumby

imgumby

You know there's an old saying about ignorance of the law being no excuse..you agreed to abide by those "guidelines" when you submitted your product for sale to UT...:rolleyes:
    now TDTK 3.x is deprecated and support will stop it might as well be a brick next time unity updates it's code and breaks it .What next...deprecate TDS-TK and charge us for another "update" ?? I also notice there are no "update" notes on version 4..how you got it past UT QC without justifying the revisions/changes/updates is beyond me or they're just not doing their job..
    I just went through this with another developer who wanted $50 (!!!!!) for an "update" which was primarily a bunch of fixes per his update notes ( he went back and changed the notes after I said something...another nail in his coffin) ...which was another instance where I was asked to pay more $ than a new user...I was offered a refund and took advantage of it.I have since received refund ..deleted the asset from my HD and will never look back nor will I refer anyone to any of his products again.If you unfortunately continue along this path I think this will be the case here as well but will ask for refund of TDTK and additionally for TDS-TK .
    My reasoning?? TDS-TK hasn't updated in a while so I'm not going to just wait for that hammer to drop when you charge for that update as well .You've broken our contractual agreement as far as I'm concerned so might as well get it over in one action instead of going through this again next week/month/year.
    I retired from an industry heavy in contract compliance enforcement and as such am an old dog stuck with a character flaw ....it's just not in my nature to accept unfairness easily.I can't in good faith support nor can I afford your business model any longer. This is what I signed up for..

9. Provider's Upgrades of Assets

Provider agrees that Provider will, at no cost to Customers and Unity, supply via the Unity Asset Store any upgrades or otherwise updated versions of all Assets that a Customer has acquired from the Unity Asset Store. For the avoidance of doubt, this does also apply to any Asset that has been distributed for free via the Unity Asset Store.

https://unity3d.com/legal/as_provider

there exists a sub-clause somewhere about upgrade fees but they are pretty specific about what constitutes an "update" vs an "upgrade" and you have not met the criteria therein from what I can see...it's still TDTK with some fixes and perhaps enahcements of some sort but no sharp contrast with the original product that's clear (there are no notes on version 4)
    Because of my problem with the other aforementioned developer I now email any prospective devs and ask in writitng for their update fee plans and refer to compliance with rule 9 in the future as a condition of sale...a negative loses the sale..a positive will make the sale and I'll look at what else they offer and may be useful in the future.I've probably purchased 5 or 6 assets since and all except 1 (who never replied to my email= lost sale= found alternative that responded) replied in the positive and a couple were surprised that I even had to ask the question as they were aware of rule 9 and 1 even pointed it out to me.

1 developer not too long ago updated their asset with an upgrade fee but gave existing users a 30 day (??) window to upgrade for free which sounded reasonable to me so didn't raise a fuss but this just plain stinks.

.If you can't fulfill your contractual obligations refund my money now please....

thank goodness micro$oft doesn't charge for updating THEIR WIP OS...

imgumby

5. Marceta

Marceta

@imgumby man, @songtan is one of the best, fair and coolest guys on assetstore. He is very passionate about his projects and clients. You just don't have any right to argue or ask for a refund.

Proto-G and Binary42 like this.
  6. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

@imgumby, Very well. please send me your invoice number, I'll gladly issue your refund.

@Marceta, Thanks for your kind words. :)

Disclamer: TDTK4 is a brand new package written from scratch (took me almost 3 full months I might add). It features a brand new path system that supporting branching path, a new perk system that is a lot more powerful, and an entirely different internal logic for performance boost just to name a few. Please visit this link for more information.

In case it's not clear, it's $15 upgrade for all existing user of TDTK3. If you have purchase TDTK3 within the last 60 days, you are entitled to a free upgrade.

Proto-G and Binary42 like this.
  7. rrahim

rrahim

I think the upgrade price is quite fair (I'm going to upgrade at this moment).
    I would like to see a list of the updates / new stuff in this version over version 3.

8. imgumby

imgumby

He may be Buddha reincarnate.I still have the right to complain about him breaking the rules...I can't do business with someone like that plus it's setting dangerous precedent...I don't want to see more devs suddenly deprecating assets we've had for years and demanding ransom for the new version...I will ask for a refund from every dev that breaks the contract like that...I have waaaayy too many assets to be paying ransom on them all.
    @songtan I will send you the details soon....

edit..details for refund sent..

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  9. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

@rrahim, to answer your question about new stuff. These are the major addition:
    • new path system (now support branching path)
    • new perk system
    • new effect system for applying buff/debuff on unit
    • a more optimized setup and base mechanic
    There also a bunch of smaller addition that is simply too many to list them out individually (honestly I can't remember them on top of my head). To name a few in a more general manner:
    • spawner creep that periodically spawn other creep
    • more option on creep movement pattern
    • more option on tower behaviour
    • ability and perk has the option to use default resource or their own independent resource
    • Free-form mode for tower placement (not using grid)
    • option for flying creep to bypass maze

Disclamer: I won't stop supporting TDTK3 just yet. I'll still continue making bug fix (if there's any), and make sure it works on newer version of Unity for the foreseeable future.

rrahim likes this.
  10. indie_dev85

indie_dev85

TDTK4 is looking great,well worth the upgrade price :)

Please add support for unit spawn buildings or at least a hero unit,which most of the TD games have.

11. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I would love to. Now with the new code base, it's possible that it's easier to pull off. But like I've said many time in the past, these two are very difficult to fit into the modular nature of TDTK. I'll play with the idea but I hope you understand I can't promise anything.

rrahim likes this.
  12. alexsander890

alexsander890

Hi
    Updated for $ 15
    Totals:
    1: Assets/TDTK/Scripts/Class/TDTK_Class_Ability.cs(8,15): error CS0101: The namespace `TDTK' already contains a definition for `Ability'
    2: Assets/TDTK/Scripts/DamageTable.cs(48,15): error CS0101: The namespace `TDTK' already contains a definition for `DAType'
    3:Assets/TDTK/Scripts/DamageTable.cs(52,15): error CS0101: The namespace `TDTK' already contains a definition for `DamageType'
    4:Assets/TDTK/Scripts/DamageTable.cs(56,15): error CS0101: The namespace `TDTK' already contains a definition for `ArmorType'
    5:Assets/TDTK/Scripts/NodeGenerator.cs(210,14): error CS0101: The namespace `TDTK' already contains a definition for `_ListStateTD'
    6:Assets/TDTK/Scripts/NodeGenerator.cs(212,15): error CS0101: The namespace `TDTK' already contains a definition for `NodeTD'
    7:Assets/TDTK/Scripts/PathFinder.cs(13,23): error CS0101: The namespace `TDTK' already contains a definition for `SetPathCallbackTD'
    8:Assets/TDTK/Scripts/Path_WPSec.cs(8,15): error CS0101: The namespace `TDTK' already contains a definition for `WPSection'
    9:Assets/TDTK/Scripts/Perk.cs(19,14): error CS0101: The namespace `TDTK' already contains a definition for `_PerkType'
    10:Assets/TDTK/Scripts/Perk.cs(53,15): error CS0101: The namespace `TDTK' already contains a definition for `Perk'
    11:Assets/TDTK/Scripts/SceneObject/PathIndicator.cs(9,15): error CS0101: The namespace `TDTK' already contains a definition for `PathIndicator'
    12:Assets/TDTK/Scripts/SpawnManager.cs(327,37): error CS0101: The namespace `TDTK' already contains a definition for `Wave'
    13:Assets/TDTK/Scripts/SpawnManager.cs(369,37): error CS0101: The namespace `TDTK' already contains a definition for `SubWave'
    14:Assets/TDTK/Scripts/Utility/ObjectPoolManager.cs(5,14): error CS0101: The namespace `global::' already contains a definition for `ObjectPoolManager'
    15:Assets/TDTK/Scripts/Utility/ObjectPoolManager.cs(130,14): error CS0101: The namespace `global::' already contains a definition for `Pool'

13. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I'm sorry for the confusion. For your information, TDTK4 is a brand new framework. It's not compatible with previous version of TDTK. You should just import the package to a new project.

14. alexsander890

alexsander890

Hello a good new perks system. But I can not get the percussion to work. The label on the bottom does not scroll, it stands still. Can you say what I'm doing wrong? Or record a video how to work properly with scrolling in your asset.

15. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Can you please clarify what do you mean by 'percussion'?

16. alexsander890

alexsander890

Hi.
    I meant scrolling content perks
    scrolling (Vertical scrolling)

Sorry for my English

17. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Are you happen to be using Unity5.6.0? There's an known issue with that version that cause the scroll view to bug out. The issue is fixed in 5.6.1 as far as I know (I haven't test it myself).

The scrolling is working when I try it (on Unity5.5) although the default scroll speed is a bit slow. You may want to try increase the scroll sensitivity value on the scroll view by quite a bit (say to around 10 or higher).

If you are not using Unity5.6.0 and you are still having problem. Can you please let me know which scene are you running? Is it one of the example or your custom scene. If it's yours, are the default example working?

18. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

A little shameless plug... My tower defense game Grid Defense has been released on both itch.io for pc version and Google play store for android version. You can read my blog post for more details. Check it out!

* I have a few android keys to give away. Please pm/email me if you are interested in playing the game. I would love to hear what you think about the game. :)

GooglePlay_FeatureGraphic_Croped.png

incorp-sergio and rrahim like this.
  19. alexsander890

alexsander890

Hi
    Unity 5.6.2f1 (64-bit)
    In your scene, an example.

Your example does not work scrolling. My example does not work scrolling.

20. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I'm afraid you have to be a bit more specific here. which perk menu setting are you using? Have you changed any setting? I've just tested things on unity5.6.2f1 and everything seems to be working. What I don't understand is you say the scrolling on my example scene doesn't work, but there doesn't need to be any scrolling at all by default. This is two of the available setting in the example:

TDTK_PerkScreen1.png
    TDTK_PerkScreen2.png

As you can see, all content fits within the window so there's no need to scrolling at all. I've also tried adding a lot more perk so that it overflows the content-rect, as well as change the window size so that the existing item wouldn't fit in. In both case, the scrolling works. See image:

TDTK_PerkScreen3.png

I've attached the image so that you can check your setting value in Inspector against the one in the image above. I would suggest you to try import TDTK again to a fresh 5.6.2 project.

21. alexsander890

alexsander890

Do you have Mail? I'll send a video.

22. alexsander890

alexsander890

I did not change the settings. Scrolling is needed in the new perk menu. The old perk menu is not needed.

23. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

My email is k.songtan@gmail.com. You can find it both in the TDTK drop down menu and the TDTK asset-store page.

24. KliveOne

KliveOne

Hellos SongTan. I have a question about curved paths. I saw in an older post about setting multiple waypoints. Is this still the case? Seeing as that post was in 2015 or is there a method at this time for curved paths?

Thanks in advance (btw love the tool kit :) )

25. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thank you. I'm afraid you still have to set multiple waypoints to get a curved path. I figure it's the most efficient way to have the creeps move along the path. Even if you have a spline-based solution, you still end up having to sampling it into waypoints in runtime.

26. KliveOne

KliveOne

Oks thank you :)

27. alexsander890

alexsander890

Hi sent a video to the mail

28. mostafanastary

mostafanastary

29. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Of course, it's on GooglePlay is it not? :)

Very much so. The only additional 3rd party assets I used are the sounds. That said, there are stuff side that I've added. The UI in the main menu, the option, the visual tweaks and the level management... Stuff that make the game whole really instead of being simple individual TD levels. These are stuff that not supported by TDTK by default. Its purpose is to for building TD level.

As far as the gameplay are concerned, I would say about 90% are straight from TDTK. I've only done some minor modification here and there. For instance the star system when a level ended, some unique perks and tower (resource tower) that works specifically in the context of the design, and other minor things that I can't recall. My aim really is to avoid customization as much as I can.

Hope this answer your questions.

30. mostafanastary

mostafanastary

songtan thank you for response.
    ok, so it by default. it work for android ! do you have any plan for unit combat? player and enemy war, i mean!
    and is there FPS mode like perivuse version?
    also any update and plan for star system and other things you named?

31. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Yes it has got touch support and works on hand-held device by default. And there will be an update real soon but it's mainly just for bug fix. I don't really have plans to add unit combat or FPS mode, at least not in the near future.

As far as the things I mentioned, they are very specific system that works for a very small subset of design. I don't think it's going to be very useful at all in any other game. Therefore no I don't think there will ever be an update for that.

32. KliveOne

KliveOne

SongTan. Question. Is there a way to have the 'platform' prefabs work with premade meshes?

Meaning if I made a mesh model 'level'/surface can I have it automatically work like a platform for placements of towers?

33. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I'm afraid that you will always have to manually place the platforms. See there has to be some criteria for a game-object to be qualified as a 'platform'. Having the BuildPlatform.cs attached and a collider for start. Then the grid dimension and the position and orientation are based of the transform. So you can't just get any custom mesh and expect the system to recognized where to set up the build point correctly. The best thing to do is to overlay the platform prefab onto the mesh you have. You can simply disable all the mesh-renderer on the platform prefab so as far as the player can see, it's just the custom mesh.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  34. KliveOne

KliveOne

Ok thank you

35. mostafanastary

mostafanastary

songtan thanks.
    can you name some game create by this asset? however i see some link in your website, but i look for new project..!

36. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

The current version of the framework is less than 2 months old so I doubt there's any other game out there using it except Grid Defense. Tbh I don't really know any recent game that uses the framework. Not everyone informs me about their project. And I'm not actively searching for it.

37. mostafanastary

mostafanastary

Ok, sorry for many question! but , what do you mean about "And there will be an update real soon but it's mainly just for bug fix" as you said ?

38. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

It mean I'll do an update in the near future to fix the known bug in the current version. There won't be any new feature in that update.

39. mostafanastary

mostafanastary

No, i mean , is there any big bug on current version ?

40. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Nothing game breaking, Just minor stuff. Depends on what you are using, it probably doesn't even affect you.

41. KliveOne

KliveOne

Hi there, When a support tower type is used and upgraded , the last tower before it does not delete. Is this intended? I so where can I change this option?

EDIT: For Reference. A Resource type was used to upgrade to a support type and the resource doesnt delete. It does delete on other types for now but somehow not support.

42. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I think this is a bug. Is there any error/warning message shown in the console? It sounds like the likely cause would be something to do with the resource. Maybe the cost setting in the tower prefab doesn't match the number of resource available. Try open tower-editor and select the tower prefab in question, this should automatically remedy the problem (if that is it).

43. KliveOne

KliveOne

Been playing with a way to figure this out for a while so i dont have that setup available atm to see about resourse, however still dealing with the same thing (upgrading) i noticed that the game stops but not freezes (meaning towers still shoot if in range) and all creeps stop moving. This is the console atm for this. I have a feeling its something im doing wrong and that i missed somethign in the setup. Strange it worked fine yesterday but not sure now though. I will try to make my scene the way i had it before with the support tower type issue but since its kinda the same via upgrading i figured this is right

EDIT: Not sure if this is related but when you set a tower upgrade cost to 10, it takes double the amount to upgrade in cost while showing 10 in the upgrade window

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  44. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I've just done some quick test. Seems like there's a bug with the support tower upgrading. I'll need some time to get to the bottom of this. I'll check the upgrade cost as well. I would suggest you to avoid working on support tower for now.

Please send me an email if you want the fix asap, otherwise you can wait for the update on AssetStore.

45. kevinnguyenogm

kevinnguyenogm

I just buy your kit. Honestly, it's so awesome but the sound system does not work properly. I think it has some bugs when running on unity 2017 version.

46. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thanks for your purchase and feedback. I have not used unity 2017 so far but I'll look into this. Can you let me know in what way it doesn't work?

47. kevinnguyenogm

kevinnguyenogm

Hi SongTan,
    I do not hear any sound or music when running the demo screens.
    Another point is when running demo_linear_freeform, the towers can not be upgraded anymore.
    I'm new to Unity so I can not give you more information to debug.
    Forgive me :D

48. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Well, have you tried assign the sound file? The default prefab hasn't got any sound assigned to it therefore the demo has no sound.

And yes there's some bug with the tower selection in the free form mode. I've since fixed it. Please send me an email if you need the fix urgently. Or you can wait for the next update.

49. kevinnguyenogm

kevinnguyenogm

I just also see it, sorry about the sound. I send you a pm.

50. shreyas800

shreyas800

hey i am getting this error
    Creep_Flying_Drone(Clone) didn't get destroy and all tower keep shooting at it.
    i am playing demo no change made. Screenshot (4).png