Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

TowerDefense ToolKit 4

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Song_Tan, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

TDTK_FrontPage_S.png

TowerDefenseToolKit (TDTK) is a an easy to use and flexible Unity game engine coding framework designed for construction of TowerDefense(TD) game. The aim of the toolkit is to allow as many variant of TD game as possible, with maximum flexibility to individual level design. It's designed with integration of custom asset in mind. Finally the toolkit is written with non-coder in mind so no coding skill is required to use it.

Here's a quick overview video to get an idea of how all things work.

Here's this web-demo that show case some example levels made with TDTK. All the content/assets used are included in the package. Each individual level in the demo are available as example scene in the package. The model used for towers and creep are available separately here.

Some notable features of TDTK:
    • Support a wide variety of gameplay mechanic with tons of customization option
    • Easy-to-use and flexible path system that gives almost unlimited design option
    • Support a variety of units roles (turret, support, spawner, etc.) for both towers and creeps
    • Plenty of stats to configure for various unit-status/effect/buff/debuff
    • Support procedural spawn generation and endless mode
    • Ability system that supports custom player ability
    • Perk system that support building of custom tech-tree/skill-book
    • Compatible with mobile device
    • Easy integration of custom model/asset
    • No coding required (everything can be done via editors)
    • Full c# source code included

*TDTK has just gone through a major update to version4.0.

Following are screenshots taken from the demo

TDTK_ScreenShot_Platform.png TDTK_ScreenShot_BranchingPath2.png TDTK_ScreenShot_BranchingPlatform.png TDTK_ScreenShot_PerkMenu.png

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  2. javier

javier

Just got it!!

I will check it out and post again, cant wait.!!

3. 3Duaun

3Duaun

Awesome news!!! Thank you for everything @Songtan
    if you are a developer working on a Tower Defense game, or a game that can utilize the pieces in this awesome toolkit, this is a MUST HAVE!

4. nsxdavid

nsxdavid

Great work!

5. PhilLou

PhilLou

Very great stuff!

6. Mark_T

Mark_T

Congrats for the release!!!
    And many thanks for the hard work and, of course, for the free upgrade!

7. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thanks all for all the kind word. I hope the new framework is up to your expectation.

8. earl80

earl80

Great. Is it Android Compatible?

9. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I've never tested it on Android. But I dont see any reason why it isnt compatible. I've some user who have use it for android, I've yet to hear any problem so far.

10. CreepyGnome

CreepyGnome

@songtan This is very nice and I plan to get a lot of value out of it. Your documentation is not much more than MSDN class type documentation which is nice and useful, however it only helps experiences Unity developers, its not as helpful to the seasoned C# developers who are new to Unity and Game development.

I think if you included a written step by step tutorial for how to make your ExampleScene1 it could go a lot further to help people learn how to use your kit and adopt it. Also several short video's on how to do very specific tasks with your kit would also be very helpful. The more help you provide to those who want to use your kit the better your community can grow.

11. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I am getting errors when i want to start scene 1 and 3
    Scene 2 start without errors.

on scene one i get this one:

NullReferenceException
    GUIToggleButton+<Update>c__Iterator4.MoveNext () (at Assets/Scripts/C#/CustomButtoniOS.cs:38)
    UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
    UIiOS:Start() (at Assets/Scripts/C#/UIiOS.cs:53)

and this

NullReferenceException
    UIiOS.DisableSelectedTowerUI () (at Assets/Scripts/C#/UIiOS.cs:328)
    UIiOS.Start () (at Assets/Scripts/C#/UIiOS.cs:56)

before that i switched the destination platform to ios and changed the normal ui to ios ui like the doc told me

then when i hit the spawn button i get this one

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    SpawnManager.SpawnWave () (at Assets/Scripts/C#/SpawnManager.cs:177)
    SpawnManager+<ContinousTimedSpawn>c__Iterator18.MoveNext () (at Assets/Scripts/C#/SpawnManager.cs:145)
    SpawnManager:_Spawn() (at Assets/Scripts/C#/SpawnManager.cs:82)

on scene 3 i get these to at start

NullReferenceException
    GUIToggleButton+<Update>c__Iterator4.MoveNext () (at Assets/Scripts/C#/CustomButtoniOS.cs:38)
    UIiOS:Start() (at Assets/Scripts/C#/UIiOS.cs:53)

NullReferenceException
    UIiOS.DisableSelectedTowerUI () (at Assets/Scripts/C#/UIiOS.cs:328)
    UIiOS.Start () (at Assets/Scripts/C#/UIiOS.cs:56)

and this one when i hit on spawn

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    SpawnManager.SpawnWave () (at Assets/Scripts/C#/SpawnManager.cs:177)
    SpawnManager+<ContinousTimedSpawn>c__Iterator18.MoveNext () (at Assets/Scripts/C#/SpawnManager.cs:145)
    SpawnManager:_Spawn() (at Assets/Scripts/C#/SpawnManager.cs:82)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  12. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

@CreepyGnome - Thanks for your feedback. You certainly raise a good point. I try to do something about it. For the mean time please dont hesitate to let me know if there's any thing I can help, either by pm or email me.

13. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

@M_Stolley, I'm terribly sorry about the error. It seem that I havent save the scene properly before I update it to the AssetStore. What happen is there's a few missing button object that should have been assigned the the UIiOS component.

I would suggest you to delete both "UI" gameObject in ExampleScene1 and ExampleScene3. You can then copy the "UI" gameObject in ExampleScene2 and paste that in both ExampleScene1 and ExampleScene2. That should fix the problem.

14. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Ah ok, i will try this.
    I also just have used the TDTK spawneditor and just changed the right prefabs that should be spawned (the blue ones) to one of my own prefab and that is not moving and stays where it started :(

Edit:
    Ok now after doing what you suggest for scene 1 and 3 there are no errors like before.
    Thank you songtan :)

15. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

You are welcome. For your custom prefab, is there any error or specific debug log when your own prefab failed to move? I'll need more information to figure out what might have gone wrong. Try compare your own prefab to the example. See if there's any difference in the hierarchy and components or the stats setup.

16. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

besides that problem i found another one.

When i use the TDTK spawneditor and changed i.e on scene 2 the flyingcreeps to the normal creeps and hit on update and start the game it worked but when i switch to scene 1 it do not ask to save the change and when i then change to scene 2 again and look into the TDTK spawneditor there the flyingcreeps back again and not the normal creeps as i changed it.

17. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

It seems like you have misunderstood what the update button in the editor is for. You needn't press the Update button after you change anything, the change is instant (You can check and verify it with the default SpawnManager in the Inspector). When you load a new scene, the spawnEditor does not detect a scene change and therefore it will no update the content automatically according the the newly loaded scene. So this is what the Update button for. Everytime you load a new scene, pressing the Update button will cause the editor to update it content in accordance to the current loaded scene. So I suspect the content you have seen in the SpawnEditor which doesnt match up is indeed the content of ExampleScene1.

Please note that this is also the case for the Update button for TowerEditor. I hope this clarify the issue.

18. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

So now my prefab is moving and also animating, this was my error but i testet then with my and also with your prefabs what i try to explain before with the TDTK spawneditor and it seemed that it do not save the changes.

Ah we posted together and i read your post now and i think i realy have misunderstod the update button.

19. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

So all the issue resolved then?

20. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Yes, thank you!
    Now i will build for ios :)

21. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Newly added video, quick overview/tutorial. I hope this gives shed more insight to anyone who is interested.

I do apologize if the video is not that great. I'm very new to this.

22. MaddMike

MaddMike

I am having a few problems as well, one is that when I change the number of creeps in a scene to a large number it will not end the game when they have all been killed. another one is that the upgrade and sell buttons cannot be seen when the game is running, I coppied the positions from scene 1 exactly so I'm not sure what I am missing.

Also it would be great if you could do a video showing step by step how to create a new scene.

Would it be possible for me to send the project to you to look at it?

23. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

@MaddMike, Just sent a pm you way.

24. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Just did a minor update to version2.0.1. Should available be on AssetStore shortly.

The changes made are as follow:
    • fix “UI” gameObject error (missing child object) in exampleScene1 and exampleScene2.
    • fix bug where wave clear event wont launch if the last creep unit is kill instantly after spawned.
    • fix bug where tower cant be upgraded beyond level 2.
    • fix bug where default platform object with unspecified build-able tower doesn't support mine.
    • fix bug on UIiOS where wave info is not being displayed correctly.
    • fix bug where SpawnEditor cause an error when there's only one resource used in the loaded scene.
    • fix bug on ResourceManager editor where information on the editor is not displayed correctly when different scene is loaded.
    • game logic change, SpawnManager will now stop spawning upon gameOver event.
    • added new tower type DirectionalAOETower. A hybrid between TurretTower and AOETower, actively targeting tower which damage all creep unit within a adjustable conical area.
    Well, I can only apologize for these bugs. They does make the toolkit seems a bit buggy. But I'm doing my best to get the toolkit works as flawlessly as possible. So please let me know if you come across any bug/issue so I can get to work on them. Thanks for understanding!

25. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

Hey, I have tried your demo and I have seen that all your scenes are composed by a group of straight lines and/or open spaces. Have you thought about adding support for curved paths using splines?

unity_ka6jgzfPPmtNCw likes this.
  26. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thanks for the suggestion. To be honest I've never thought about it. I'll consider adding it. Probably in the next major update.

27. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

Ok, if I need to wait until the next major update, then I should make more feature requests...
    ;) ;) hint hint ;) ;)

This is one of my favourites Tower Defense Games and one of the reasons why I like this game so much (in addition to using spline paths) is because different "towers" have a different size and you can build your "towers" wherever you want (as long as the "tower" doesn't overlap with the path or other towers). I think there are two possible implementations for this feature:
    • Easy: using a grid with a greater number of smaller cells and allowing the tower to use more than a single cell (like in RTS games). For example: you could have a tower which uses 1x1 cells while other towers could need 2x2 or 2x3 cells.
    • Better: defining a "radius" for each type of tower and allowing the player to place the tower wherever he wants... as long as it doesn't overlaps with the path or with [the radius of] other towers.

Another could feature is being able to place "traps" in the track which are activated when an enemy is close. Those traps can damage or slow down the enemies.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  28. gioworks

gioworks

Traps are already included. "Mines"

29. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

I didn't realize about that. Can I define "Mines" which slows down or freezes the enemy for a few seconds instead of doing damage?

30. gioworks

gioworks

Yes you can manage stun duration, damage, slow factor, range and similiar.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  31. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Sorry for the slow respond. Somehow I'm not getting any notification.

@GIOWorks, Thanks so much for explaining the matter for me. Appreciate that!

@David, I'll think about the customizable tower footprint. However please understand that I cant promise anything. Consider the fact that this toolkit has to cater for mobile device, I dont think the concept is very feasible for a point and build building scheme. But I'll see what I can do. I'm a big fan of the idea personally. Here's a brilliant TD game that you may like. *wink

32. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

Don't worry, I understand that sometimes it's impossible to implement some feature requests due to technical constraints or because it isn't profitable from the "cost vs benefit" point of view. I only wanted to let you know about several features that I would like to see in future versions of your product...

• If you can include those features in a future version of your product, I will purchase it without any doubt because your product would have everything I have ever wanted in a Tower Defense game.
    • If you can't include those features, I don't know if I would purchase your product or not. Don't get me wrong, your toolkit is a great product even without those features... but if I have to implement those features myself, I may decide to develop the whole game myself instead of using your product.

I'm not in a hurry, I'm busy with another project at this moment, but I wanted to know your thoughts about these features and the possibility of including them in future releases because I definitely want to create a Tower Defense game.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  33. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thanks. I appreciate your input.

To be honest there are many features that I like to add to this toolkit, yours is just a few of many. This is a more of a passion for me rather than strict business product. Although rather unfortunately reality does kicks in a bit sometime. TD is just a starting point. My ultimate goal is to make to a RTS toolkit. So you might imagine that of course an RTS framework can support those features you like to see. Problem is I'm too busy with other stuff so I have to prioritise most of the time.

Anyway, good luck with whatever plan you have with your future TD game.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
    unity_ka6jgzfPPmtNCw likes this.
  34. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

I understand your situation because I'm exactly in the same situation with my Racing AI: I started the development for a personal project, but I realized (after a conversation with several forum members) that I could get funds to finish my game if I started to sell my AI. I am always willing to implement requested features, but I also have my own plan because there are some features I need to implement for my own game.

I feel your pain, I wish I had more time to work in my personal projects, but I need my dayjob to pay the bills...

Thanks. I already own some art assets that could be used for developing a TD game so I could develop my game in few weeks if you finally develop those features. On the other hand, I would probably need 2-3 months to develop my game if I need to implement some features myself, so if you don't implement those features, I would probably have to wait until I finish the development of the racing game.

35. 3Duaun

3Duaun

@Songtan
    thank you for your hard work to mature the TDTK ! :)

36. tsdzzang

tsdzzang

Hello
    I'd like to purchase. The operating system I'm using windows xp and Unity3d.
    When you purchase TowerDefense does it work without getting bogged down?
    Android and games using the Unity build iPone possible??
    Discount ?^ ^;

37. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thanks for the interest, tsdzzang.

As long as unity3D can run on your pc, I dont see any problem why this wouldnt work. The framework are optimized enough to run on mobile device. So I'm guessing your pc should not have any problem at all.

It's iOS compatible and tested on iPhone. And altough not officially tested, it should work on android just fine.

I've sent a pm to your regarding a purchase

38. tsdzzang

tsdzzang

Unity3D using windows xp operating system built into the iPhone and Android mobile possible means?
    Must do all we're buying ^ ^

39. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Fyi, you cant build to iOS using window. You will need to have a mac for that. However you can build to android using window. Of course, you must have license for Unity Android before you can build for Android and license for Unity iOS before you can build for iOS.

40. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Only if you have a mac.

41. tsdzzang

tsdzzang

I was mistaken
    Android build in the window, mac build ios ipone available in the question,
    Article was poorly written translations.
    Question is whether all that is being build. ^ ^
    Thank you.

42. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

TDTK v2.0.2 is now live on AssetStore!

I'm pleased to annouced that two new features has been added in this version. Creep that spawn more creep upon destroyed as well as dynamic waypoint. The former is pretty self-explainary. The later is dynamic positioning of the waypoint for the creeps to make the placement of the creeps along the path more natural.

Just try the updated webplayer demo to see the new features in action.

The full list of changes in update are shown as below:
    • fix bug where TurretTower won't shoot when there's no turretObject assigned.
    • fix bug where tower will target a creep even when it's destroyed.
    • fix bug where GameControl will always auto initiate AudioManager and override user created AudioManager.
    • fix bug with editor for GameControl and SpawnManager.
    • fix bug for tower editor where TurretAnimateMode doesnt assigned properly.
    • fix bug where creep will replay death animation when hit after they are destroyed.
    • fix bug where override speed value in SpawnEditor doesn't take effect.
    • Added option for dynamic waypoint, randomise creep position along the path in some extent.
    • Added option for creeps to spawn more creep upon destroyed.
    • Added camera rotation for iOS.
    • pinch-zooming in iOS has been reworked and now work more consistently.

edit: apparently a logic error has been created accidentally after adding the new creep spawning feature. A hotfix v2.0.2h has been uploaded to assetStore to remedy that issue.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  43. 3Duaun

3Duaun

@Songtan
    you nailed down a few of the issues affecting some of us TDTK users, thank you!

44. dog

dog

45. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

@zhx, Thanks, I aimed to pleased. :)

@Dog, sorry to dissapoint but TDTK is not going to be on AssetStore for the time being. I feel that a 50% discount would be quite unfair for user who have just purchased the kit recently. And I think the current asking price is quite fair for the package content and the support and after sales service I offer. However I'm willing to offer a small discount should you wish to do a direct purchase from me. Let me know if you are interested.

Btw I like to take this post to annouce that a new hotfix v2.0.2h has been uploaded to AssetStore to fix an issue following the update of v2.0.2.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  46. skyground

skyground

Looks like it's awesome thing.
    Will it be JS version ?

47. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

@skyground, I certainly hope it's as awesome as anyone's expectation. Unfortunately there are no js version for the time being.

48. kd5crs

kd5crs

Great toolkit.

I am trying to have a couple of towers on the scene when it starts. I add the TowerTurret_Canon from the Prefab folder to the scene, but it doesn't do anything once the game starts. It is present but it just sits there. Adding a turret from the bar inside the game works normally.

Can you tell me how to add turrets to the scene outside the game so they work just like the ones built in-game? Thanks.

49. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

@kd5crs, Thanks for the kind word. Unfortunately the toolkit doesnt support pre-placed tower in the level now. Give me a few minutes, I'll see if I can do a quick fix for you. I'll pm you when it's done.

Of course now the issue has been brought out, expect to see this in the next update.

50. kd5crs

kd5crs

Outstanding! It works great.