Search Unity

TopDownShooter-ToolKit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Song_Tan, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

TDSTK_FrontPage.png

TopDownShooter-ToolKit (TDS-TK) is a an easy to use and flexible Unity game engine coding framework designed for construction of TopDownShooter game. The aim of the toolkit is to allow as many variant of TopDownShooter mechanic as possible. It's designed with integration of custom asset in mind. The toolkit is written with non-coder in mind so no coding skill is required to use it.

The various level setup in following demo should gives a glimpse of what TDS-TK is capable of. Please note that due to the multiple game rules combination that are supported by the toolkit, the levels in this demo are only some of the setup available. They are designed to showcase the flexibility of the toolkit and to be serve as examples for the user. There are many more possible setup.

All assets seen in the demo are included in the package. Each scene in the demo are available as example scene in the package.

Some notable features of TDS-TK:
    • Emphasize freedom of design, tons of customization option
    • Create and customize unique weapons, abilities, power-ups and special effects
    • Modular approach to level building, support various game mode and level design
    • Build character progression and skill/tech-tree with built in leveling and perk system
    • Easy integration with custom asset
    • Mobile compatible with touch input supported
    • No coding skill required
    • Full C# source code included
    • Still under active development, more feature will be added in the future
    If you have any question to like to know about certain things, please don't hesitate to contact me or post it on the support forum. Here are relevant link and further information to the package.

>> Official Website <<

>> Link To AssetStore <<

quick video overview (please excuse the poor audio quality):

TDSTK_Arena.png
    TDSTK_Setup.png
    TDSTK_Level&Perk1.png
    TDSTK_Editors.png

Thanks for reading!!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    Havok_ZA, josker and Magnumstar like this.
  2. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Wow... congrats on the release. Will definitely pick this up.

3. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thank you! Your support is much appreciated! :)

4. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Are there mobile touch screen controls?

5. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Not at the moment I'm afraid. I'm planning to add that in the near future. :)

6. JessieK

JessieK

Hey I recently picked this up, and I've been having a play around it's really awesome I am already a fan of your turn based toolkit so I was right at home with how this one was laid out.

Only issue is, I can't seem to find how I would add an animated unit in to the game, could you point me in the right direction?

7. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thanks for your support!

Unfortunately animation is not supported yet at the moment. I plan to add that over the next update. Sorry for the inconvenience.

8. JessieK

JessieK

Ah that does limit things somewhat but I understand, I cannot wait until the next update then, I've already had a lot of fun just playing around with all of the possible abilities and guns you can create with this kit, I hope it's as well supported and updated as much as your other kits!

9. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

This toolkit will definitely get as much attention and care from me in term of maintenance and update as any other toolkit I have. There are many interesting new things that I wanted to try out with this one.

Sadly you can't wait. I'm already working on the touch input and various optimization to make it mobile compatible. Animation will be next. With any luck, this shouldn't take more than 2 weeks.

10. josker

josker

Just purchased, will have a good look over the next few days.

Just to let you know on the web demo I could not get the Gauntlet style game to work. The other demos worked perfect.

11. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thanks a bunch for your custom and your feedback. I'll get that fixed.

Please don't hesitate to let me know if you find any other issue. :)

12. JessieK

JessieK

I can confirm even in the kit the gauntlet level doesn't work from the main menu, and the objective doesn't actually end the level (loading in to the scene directly rather than using the main menu.) for some reason. So it just kind of stops.

13. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

The reason it cant load from main menu is due to some typing error in the script. I somehow got the name of the level wrong >.<. The error is in DemoUIMenu.cs, line39 (I miss-spelled Gauntlet to gaunlet). As for the objective, I'll need to take a closer look. I'll let you know when I figure out what's wrong.

14. JessieK

JessieK

To be clear its the name of the Scene that needs to be changed the actual script is perfectly fine spelling wise, its the scene itself that's misspelt.

15. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Hello, awesome kit. I just purchased it. I have a request. Could you please make it that the player and ai can move ramps up and down? That would give us a more flexible way to create great levels due obstacles.

16. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thanks for your purchase and glad you like it. I might add vertical movement one day. However I'm afraid it's not going to be soon. At the moment I've other plans for the toolkit. Plus the base code is written for the game to work on one horizontal plane. It's going to take some work to add verticality to it.

17. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Ah ok I understand! Do you have a a roadmap of the upcoming features?

18. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Another question. Where is that ability selection menu that you posted in your screenshots? I can't find it in game.

TDSTK_SelectionTab.png

19. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I don't really have a fixed roadmap that I stick to. In most case I just work on things keep a list of the possible things I can work on and eventually work on it when I finally have the time. For now I'm working on mobile/touch-screen integration and animation support for the next update. This shouldn't take too long I think. After that it would probably be some sort of progression system or inventory system. We shall see.

You need to enable it in the UIMainControl in order for it to be available in game. By default, it's only available in the demo arena level. Basically you bring up an overview of all the weapon and ability available by holding on the tab button.

pushingpandas likes this.
  20. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Regarding animations, can you enable it so that running backwards or sideways while shooting is allowed? So basically if you move backwards and shoot forwards, the unit can play a distinct run backwards animation?

21. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Yes, that's the idea. The unit will be having some basic locomotion that plays the corresponding animations (forward/backward/strafe left or right) with respect to the direction they are moving and facing. The animation system will also be able to play the attack animation without interrupting the move animation.

22. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Merry Christmas and Happy NewYear!

And oh, new update (v1.1) is out!
    • Added touch input for mobile platform
    • Added support for unit's animation
    • Added object pooling system for better runtime performance
    • More comment added to the code
    • Bug-fixes

twitchfactor likes this.
  23. SIV

SIV

Any plans for multiplayer version ?
    Looks nice so far :)

24. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thank you.

I don't really have a plan to add multiplayer integration atm. But I'm certainly considering it. At any rate, I have to say it won't be coming anytime soon.

25. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Awesome! Thanks for the fast update. Any way to lock movement of player more human like? No turnable turret. Just Body rotation and crosshair?

26. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Absolutely. Just assign the unit prefab transform itself as the turret-object and disable the "face travel direction" option. There's an example in the "TDSTK/Animation/Example/" by the way.

pushingpandas likes this.
  27. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

awesome! Thank you!

28. DreamEnder

DreamEnder

Looks awesome. Once you add Touch Controls I'll buy this in a heartbeat. Great work!

29. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Well then, you will be pleased to know touch control has been added in last update (v1.1). :)

30. Idialot

Idialot

Hi Song,

Just grabbed this asset as have all your stuff... Is there facility for grenade throwing / tossing with grenade like trajectory. Great for players that are human type, or indirect fire vehicles, mortars and the like

31. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Not at the moment I'm afraid. The closet thing would be the 'homing' shoot object.

But I think it make sense to have this. I'll try to add that in the next update. If you need it in a hurry, please let me know. I can't promise that I'll get to it right away but at least I can send you an advance copy when it's done.

32. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Grenades would be an awesome addition.

33. Idialot

Idialot

No problem, I am just tinkering at the moment anyway. But the grenade would be awesome. Wondering however, how you envision the changing of scenes and keeping track of data. The create new scene has a player already created. I would assume that having current player "dont destroy on load" would work also for creating a continuous flow through levels. Also would this also work with objects that keep the score etc. Not sure where that is yet however, Ill find it.

I wish to be able to pause at end of level then continue with same player equipment score etc... I don't code directly, eyes pretty bad but I use uScript, so it interacts very well with C# scripts via reflection so making my own changes will not be a problem.

34. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I do like to make some kind of player progression system at some point. Not sure how I would approach it since I haven't give the detail much thought. But yes it would be something like you describe. However I'm not sure when will I be able to commit some time to pursuit the idea. So if you want to make your own modification, go ahead.

35. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Just a quick announcement that I'll be away for 2 weeks starting tomorrow. During that period I may or may not have internet access so I might be a bit slow in respond on any issue/post. Also since I won't be having access to my work station, some issue will have to wait until I'm back. My apologies for any inconvenience in advance.

36. davifo

davifo

Hello Songtan,
    have any claim to use NetworkManager features to make the game multi player?
    you think this adaptation viable?

37. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I would like to answer your question but unfortunately I'm not quite sure. I'm not familiar with networking at all and I haven't got the chance to look into NetworkManager.

Ideally I would like to add support to that if it's feasible. However I've been very busy with other work that I haven't got time to work on any new feature. At any rate, that won't be happening anytime soon. My immediate plan for the toolkit, when I have time for it, is to add some kind of progression system. Possibly a perk system.

38. ionside

ionside

Hi @songtan . Thanks for a great product. I have a question regarding unorthodox usage.
    In a specific instance (scene) I'd like to make use of the FPSWeapon and FPSControl only. But with a top view camera position. What scripts and controls are needed in a scene to only use this?

Currently I have Resource manager, Game Control, FPS weapon DB, FPS Control, Damage Table and of course FPS Weapon in the scene. But on Play I get a "FPS-weapon won't be available for game deployment..." on the game object clone.
    I do have it as a prefab, and I do have it added in the FPS Weapon DB.

Thanks.

39. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

First, wrong place to post I'm afraid. You must be referring to TowerDefense-ToolKit. This is a support thread for TopDownShooter-ToolKit. :)

Anyway, what you are trying to do is not as straight-forward as you think. The thing is, FPS mode in TDTK is made specifically to work with other elements in the game, the towers the weapon is anchored to, and the fact that the camera switch seamlessly between isometric view and first person view. You will have to do some modification in the code for things to work.

Good things is all the modification required is in FPSControl.cs. First you have to change it so that it can work without a tower. The script is initiated when the method Show() is called, from there, a tower is passed and the control object will anchor itself to that tower, then switching the camera and so on. So from there, you need to make the tower anchoring an optional operation. Then the lerping and switching of camera at the end of the function, you will need to modify that so it anchor itself at whatever position you want.

Once that it done, you can try initiate FPSMode by calling this two function: FPSControl.Show() and UIFPS.Show(). This is how I manage to get it to work without other components. In the scene, you will need GameControl, FPSControl and UIFPS. Finally depend on your modification on the camera switching, you may or may not need the default CameraControl in the scene.

ionside likes this.
  40. ionside

ionside

Thanks so much for your fast and helpful response. So sorry I posted in the wrong forum!

I'm going to give that a go, however speaking of TopDownShooter. Could that be used for third person turret control?
    Is it possible to use both TDTK and TDSTK together?

41. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Assume you are ok with everything work strictly on a flat horizontal plane, yes, it can be used as a third person shooter. After some tweak with the camera and aiming code. Anything more (3D aiming and movement for instance) would require a great deal of work you might as well start from scratch. But at any rate, the base mechanic like the ability, effect and the hit model can be used as it's.

But no, I don't think it can be used with TDTK. The underlying mechanic is just too different. There's no way they can work without major restructuring to either one of them.

ionside likes this.
  42. SarahR

SarahR

Hey I was curious about this kit, I own it already but I have a few suggestions/questions about what could be added in future updates

1) Friendly AI - Is there anyway already to set up so AI fights alongside you rather than just attacking you, this would be a cool way to create a more "grand" setting

2) Upgrades/After battle screen - A way to have like a continuing campaign would be cool so we could put points in to health, ammo, weapon damage or something would be awesome, much like the perk system in your TBTK that you already have, a system like that would be amazing.

3) Objectives - This might just be me, but right now I cannot get the level to end when you destroy/complete an objective, this has made creating more than a one level campaign a bit of a pain, something to resolve this would be great.

4) Pathing/Set paths - Something that is missing right now is being able to set the AI to follow a set path, this would allow us to design waves that the player would have to defend against or more dynamic unit placements, along with just making things seem more alive, rather than units standing around before you turn up they would be walking about

Are any of these planned, or are any of these never going to happen so I can plan around that.

Thank you for your time!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  43. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thanks for your suggestion.

1. I have indeed thought about this. The reason why I haven't done it is that I'm worry that the AI may not smart enough to navigate the level or aim accurately enough to hit any target. But I might just toss it in and see how it goes. Anyway, The soonest this will happen will be after the next update, if it happen.

2. I'm working on a leveling/perk system atm. Much like the one in TBTK. Not specifically for for a post-battle screen but I'm sure it can be adapt to that. What I have right now (a work in progress) is pretty good dare I say. With lots of synergy between the perks and leveling system that allows for quite some setup. Can't wait to get this update out.

3. If that's the case, it could be a bug. Can you let me know what are the setting you have done for the objectives? Let's see if it's a bug or you have missed something.

44. SarahR

SarahR

Thanks for the answers, I cannot wait to see the levelling/perk system! I am curious will it work like your turn based kit, with players being able to upgrade during a level?

For the AI, would it be possible for them to be able to just either spawn like enemy AI, and have them sit in an area? That would stop them having to navigate anything at all, and if you implemented a way for us to set AI paths, we could easily set the friendly AI to just move in a pre-determined path stopping them being caught on stuff being a problem. That or just set it so they have to follow the player exactly.
    For Aiming, the enemy AI seems to be able to shoot well enough, can't they just use the same system?

When I get to my project I will let you know my settings, as of right now I am not at my home PC

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  45. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

The leveling/perk system works very much like the leveling system in Diablo or your typical hack and slash game. You have your base stats which increased/decreased as you level, and you gain points to spend in perk as you level (automatically or manuall). Alternatively, you can configure the perks to be some sort of base attribute where each attribute modify certain stats of the character.

The AI seems to be shooting well enough because they only shoot randomly and there are a bunch of them, some of the projectile bound to hit the player. For a AI that works on player side, you would expect it to aim at a particular target and hits it. If the shoot object travels fast enough and the target move slows enough, sure that's not a problem. But if that's not the case, the AI would have to aim ahead of the moving target to compensate the shoot object travel time. That means take account into the target speed, move direction and even obstacle in the way. This can easily become very complicated and tricky to get right.

twitchfactor likes this.
  46. Cato_xyz

Cato_xyz

Hey songtan,

thanks for your hard work developing this asset!
    I wonder if you're planning to add melee combat (or is it already there?)

Looking forwards for the leveling system as well!

47. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Yes, the thought of adding melee combat has cross my mind. But I'm not sure when I'll have time to get to it. The problem with melee attack, imo, is to get the animation right, especially when you can switch between different weapon. If that's no a problem for you, you can do that right now. Just set the weapon range to very short and use invisible shoot-object.

48. Cato_xyz

Cato_xyz

Thanks for the reply, songtan
    Melee would be much appreciated, anyways i'll try the method you suggested

Cheers!

49. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

New update with leveling and perk system is up. Have fun folks!

However, please note that it's new so it still have some rough edges. If you come across any bugs, usability issue, please let me know.

50. MathewHI

MathewHI

I'm thinking of purchasing this soon. My only question is, is there the ability to orbit/rotate the camera around the player?If not could I add a script to do it? I have a script currently in a test scene where I had this feature. Thanks