Search Unity

Top-down shooter

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by NicholasFrancis, Jun 13, 2005.

1. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Hi guys...

After meeting Aarku at WWDC, i saw a thing he was working on... This inspired me to do some old-skool 2D gameplay (when you see his stuff, you'll understand)...

Here is what I got after 5 hours of work: The beginning of the top-down shooter to end all top down shooters (yeah, sure ) :?

So far it has player controls, bullets, simple enemies that walk towards you and fire like mad. You can shoot them and they can shoot you.

Next step is to get the enemies to be a bit funnier (= not just walk towards you), and not fall over the edges all the time

Attached Files:

2. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Looks realy neat. Are you trying to make it look like it's black and white? I'd love to see a working version. Jeff

3. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Not really black white - it's just some textures from another demo I had lying around...

I guess the goal is to get something like the 90's shooter style into it, but no gfx artist has been assigned...

4. Samantha

Samantha

So is this a top-down flying/shooter like 1942, or a top-down running/shooter like loaded?

I'm working on a flying/shooter, myself which is why I ask :)

5. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

It's a top down running shooter that's going absolutely nowhere...

Do you have screenz?

6. Samantha

Samantha

I'm still testing the waters of Unity, but you can see some screens I posted in a scripting thread here: http://otee.dk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=608

A few months ago I started learning C#, and I took an online MSDN game development class. We made a very basic 2D top-down shooter, and I started learning how to tweak the engine. Now I'm seriously thinking about porting the whole damn thing to Unity. I just have to teach myself how to do it all.

The shooter I'm doing now will probably be top-down, although I'm thinking about making it starfox style like in the screenshots above.

7. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Cool. I suspect based on the skill demonstrated in the screens, that in those two months of doing C# and MSDN stuff you'd be well on your way to creating a very cool Unity-powered game. Welcome.

8. Samantha

Samantha

Thanks, Davey! You might not remember, but I sent you an email a couple weeks ago asking about your experience with Unity. Your reply inspired me to give it a shot. I like it very much, now I just have to save up for a license! :D

9. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

I'm old. You have to speak up too. Glad you've jumped in. As I said in the above post, you clearly won't regret it.

10. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Top down running shoters can be awesome. I've inteded to create one myself since even long before I knew Unity even existed.
    Damn my incompetence to program, though. I didn't expect it to be that difficult to find someone who's able to program. :(

At least art won't be too much of a problem for Me :D

*epic bump*
    Woah - sorry didn't realize that this topc was from 2005. Sorry :oops: :D