1. Help us improve the editor usability and artist workflows. Join our discussion to provide your feedback.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're looking for feedback on Unity Starter Kits! Let us know what you’d like.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We’re giving 2017.1 beta testers a chance to win t-shirts and a Nintendo Switch. Read more on the blog.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Unity 2017.1 beta is now available for download.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Unity 5.6 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Get further faster with the Unity Plus Accelerator Pack, free for new Unity Plus subscribers for a limited time. Click here for more details.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out all the fixes for 5.6 on the patch releases page.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Learn how you'll soon be able to publish your games to China in four simple steps with Xiaomi. Sign up now for early access.
    Dismiss Notice

Toon shaders, tessellated and bump mapped

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Wolfos, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Wolfos

Wolfos

Edit (18/2/2013): Added a terrain shader. Scroll down for instructions on how to use.
    Edit (16/10/2013): Fixed a bug with the tessellated and bumped shaders.

Unity has some fantastic toon shaders in one of the default packages, but what frustrated me is that there was only diffuse.
    So, I made 2 more shaders based on Toon/Lighted, one with DirectX11 tessellation displacement and one with bump mapping.

The package also includes the default Toon/Lighted shader because it's required for fallback.

I hope it's useful to someone.

Webplayer

Here is a picture of the shaders in action, I exaggarated the displacement so it was more visible.
    [​IMG]

Disclaimer:
    These are just edited versions of shaders in the default Unity assets. I didn't write them from scratch.
    They require a Toon Ramp texture which is attached.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  2. spinaljack

spinaljack

Thanks for that. The attachment doesn't seem to want to download though. Maybe a link instead?

3. Wolfos

Wolfos

4. spinaljack

spinaljack

nice work :)

5. Wolfos

Wolfos

Added a terrain shader that only works with the new Unity 4 terrain materials. It's a modified version of the builtin terrain bumpmapped shader so it also supports bumpmaps.

Basically, you make a material and call it whatever you want it (I call it 'TerrainMat'), assign the new shader (Nature/Terrain/Toon), assign the Toon Ramp and in Terrain Settings you drag the material to the 'Material' slot.

6. ob103ninja

ob103ninja

I am highly aware of the age of this thread, but that snapshot looks like Zelda Windwaker.

7. Wolfos

Wolfos

Yeah, you could call it fan art. Here's a nicer render of this scene:
    [​IMG]

ob103ninja likes this.