Search Unity

Too bright after baking lightmap for a point light

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by OrangeSheep, Apr 14, 2015.

1. OrangeSheep

OrangeSheep

Hi! I'm new to Unity. I meet some problems on baking lightmap of pointlight.

As you can see, I put a lamp in a room with five walls. When the pointlight in the lamp is "realtime", it can cast
    shadows on the walls around it. Later, I changed the light into "baked"and walls into "lightmap static", the light looks super bright after baking.

Anyone meet similar situation before? Any suggestion? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. kscho

kscho

I've the same experience. The real time light intensity doesn't tally with the baked light intensity. it makes tuning the desired lighting level for the baked environment a laborious, trial-and-error process.

3. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Looks like you are in gamma color space. If you switch to linear color space, realtime and baked should have same intensity.

4. upperclasslemon

upperclasslemon

So if that is the case then how does one bake lightmaps for Mobile iOS and Android that only have gamma color space and point lights?

I previously posted a question regarding lightmaps being too bright and you are right - Changing my project to target PC and Linear, the baked lightmaps match the realtime intensity perfectly.

Are there settings we can update to make GI bake correctly for gamma and point lights, or is this something that will need to be fixed? A setting other than reduce the intensity :) as that changes the whole look that baked perfectly with Beast.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  5. kscho

kscho

yes our target is mobile, so linear color space won't work for us. how do we overcome this issue?

6. kayb14

kayb14

sad to say this problem still exists in the new enlighten-system in 2017 :(

7. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

The issue is not that difficult to overcome, you just adjust light values based on what you see in the actual bake. With the progressive lightmapper the process is kinda painless too, since you get feedback pretty fast.