Search Unity

To gravity or not to gravity

Discussion in 'Physics' started by glasshalfpool, Apr 27, 2017.

1. glasshalfpool

glasshalfpool

Developing an arcade racing game and we've got to the point where the handling model we've created (a simple combination of adding force and setting angular velocity) feels great to play.

However, the handling has been constructed without gravity and we're now starting to think about how to handle changes in ground elevation, jumps, etc.

My question is:
    Does anyone have experience of implementing anything like this without gravity or should be tick that box and re-do the handling?

2. glasshalfpool

glasshalfpool

Worth mentioning: The first thing that came into my head was to use a ray to measure the distance between the bike and the ground and use that to raise and lower the bike with changes in elevation.

Any thoughts?

3. Edy

Edy

You may try simply configuring friction-less materials at both colliders (bike and ground), so when applying gravity the bike would simply slide on the ground. Handling may be more or less the same. I'd try with a flat level ground first.

You may need to do some coding and/or modify the bike collider for keeping the stability tough.