Search Unity

To analyse a game ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thefilmmaker, Apr 28, 2017.

1. thefilmmaker

thefilmmaker

Hello Unity devs.

I am blank on this, so i thought to ask the lovely people of unity users for help. I want to start analysing games but i do not have the faintest clue of where to start or really of to do it. :p

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Watch some Extra Credits. They have some interesting approaches. There are a few episodes on 'how to play games like a designer'.

wccrawford likes this.
  3. LaneFox

LaneFox

Kinda curious what is in those videos now.

"Question everything, nothing is as it seems. Nothing is real. Your gaming experience is a crafted facade of lies. That mountain? Not real. Those Trees? Not real. Those 3D Characters? Billboards. Those particles? Not even in the scene."

4. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

What are you analyzing games for, and why? Competitive analysis? Technical? Visua!? Design? It helps to know the goal of what you are looking to gain out of it.

5. thefilmmaker

thefilmmaker

Okay I see so let's say I wants to take a closer look at layout design for the levels in a game, and what i am looking for is the flow and from there come up with some hypothesis and try to answer them, am I understanding right then

6. Billy4184

Billy4184

What is this exactly? I suspect you will need to be clearer on this point in order to ...

angrypenguin likes this.
  7. neoshaman

neoshaman

Google is your friend, there is so many analysis now it's not worth pointing at one source anymore, though looking at the GDC vault (it's made by renown professional who makes your beloved game) is a good start. Youtube also has been great for in depth analysis of specific game with visual example of what's happening (think the game maker's toolkit for example).
    https://www.patreon.com/GameMakersToolkit
    http://www.gdcvault.com/
    Autoembedding of video is frakkkinh with you and you are trying to put a channel instead of a video :mad: is there a workaround?

Just keep in mind that all analysis is bias toward the value of the analyst, most are gamer are hearts: a good games are game they likes, if he likes hardcore action games he will judge a game merits based on that, some "bad stuff" are only bad through this perspective but good for another's.

I would say look at all perspectives and let them informed your own tastes.

8. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Pick a few games of similar types. Play their levels and figure out ways to describe measurable characteristics. Then compare those characteristics between the games.

9. thefilmmaker

thefilmmaker

Many Many thanks for all of your answers :)love the unity community:)