Search Unity

Timeline - Available in Unity 2017.1

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by gekidoslayer, Feb 7, 2017.

1. DGordon

DGordon

Any ETA on when 2017.1 is released? We are assuming that it won't be in time for a current project, but we would love to use it (and plan for it) if it seems feasible.

2. ArthurT

ArthurT

Sometime around June-July I'd assume, however I'd like to know if there are any plans to release a new preview release, possibly based on the final 5.6 (f3) release.

Alverik likes this.
  3. Alverik

Alverik

Just wanted to mention that Cinemachine's Collider module is actually already available in v1.5. But as I was told, it's "just hidden". Meaning it doesn't show up under the Cinemachine menu at the top of the editor, you have to use the "Add Component" button and type "Cinemachine Collider" to actually add it to a camera. Guess they're still working on it and that's why they haven't made much noise about it yet.

4. Adam_Myhill

Adam_Myhill

Good eye @Alverik, Collider has been in there for a little while just under the surface. It's still a bit jumpy in some cases so we're not widely advertising it just yet.

Cinemachine Cloud has recently been exposed at the top menu bar - it's crazy powerful. Documentation on that coming soon. I'll do a separate thread to get people going with it. I can't wait to see what people do with CM Cloud.

Colliders need to be added to every camera in a Cloud for the shot evaluation to work.

SHOT EVALUATION? What are they up to?!

Too-Nerd-To-Die and Alverik like this.
  5. chplaya

chplaya

any update on the progress of the new Example Projects YouTube video? Ch Play Store

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  6. HugMat

HugMat

any news about the possibility to record an animation while running the scene ?

7. Too-Nerd-To-Die

Too-Nerd-To-Die

Will we have a timeline update for the new version 5.6.0f3 of Unity?

Alverik and ZiadJ like this.
  8. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

Unity 2017.1 beta will start in a few days/weeks and it will have included Timeline so it's probably going to be the next Timeline update.

Too-Nerd-To-Die likes this.
  9. nbac

nbac

was timeline once called sequnecer? and is it correct that there is no way to produce a flytrough with multiple cameras(+animations,differnet post stacks?) at this moment without timeline coding or buying an asset?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  10. Adam_Myhill

Adam_Myhill

@nbac , yes Timeline was once called Sequencer. It's had a few names over the course of development.

You can absolutely make a flythrough with multiple cameras and different postfx stacks with this beta + Cinemachine + Post FX Stack. You can even do it with just the regular Unity camera in Timeline, keyframing animation but you'd get a lot more access to camera goodies by keyframing an 'empty' Cinemachine camera instead.

The info to install the Timeline beta + Cinemachine is at the top of this thread.

There's info on how to use the postfx stack with different cameras in this thread

Alverik likes this.
  11. Alverik

Alverik

Any idea when's the Timeline preview build getting updated to the current 5.6 build? Really dying to see it, lol.

12. nbac

nbac

without timeline and cinemachine its not possible. how did ppl do cutscenes before!? i dont get it, a game engine in version 5.x does not have those abilitys? dont get me wrong but at the moment its a bit complicated getting custom builds + packages throwing errors at me. thats why i asked for a "at the moment" alternative. i really want cinemachine + timeline but in a stable release somehow.

13. gekidoslayer

gekidoslayer

Unity Technologies

You can use Cinemachine by itself with the main 5.6 release, but Timeline is not going to be coming out until the 2017.1 release unfortunately.

Having said that, the preview build that is available for Timeline is pretty stable - I've been using it heavily since release and haven't had any major issues with the build (with Timeline or otherwise). Of course there have been other bugs and issues resolved over the 5.6 beta cycle that the preview build may not have incorporated unfortunately, but our focus is getting ready for the 2017.1 beta.

Having said that - the 2017.1 beta cycle will begin very soon (probably within a week or so) - now that 5.6 is out, the next beta release cycle will begin, and Timeline will be available in the main Unity builds from that point onwards.

ArthurT, Too-Nerd-To-Die and Alverik like this.
  14. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

I was thinking of adding a badass intro sequence to this shooter I'm making but it's in 5.6
    Will there be a new 5.6f build with timeline?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  15. ArthurT

ArthurT

Really looking forward to that! Glancing at the current roadmap, I hope being in its current state, it will still get included even for the final version of 2017.1, whether it's still experimental or not, similar to the new Progressive Lightmapper.

Alverik likes this.
  16. nbac

nbac

do it via script and animation events now - but hell, its about time(line).

17. gekidoslayer

gekidoslayer

Unity Technologies

We'll definitely be in 2017.1 (one way or another) ;}

Too-Nerd-To-Die, Alverik and ArthurT like this.
  18. trof

trof

hey I'm trying to install the Mac version of this but keep getting this message when I try and download...

Error 503 Backend fetch failed
    Backend fetch failed

Guru Meditation:
    XID: 149265562

Is anyone else having this issue? I've tried it on multiple browsers...

19. gekidoslayer

gekidoslayer

Unity Technologies

We're looking into where the download link went. Stay tuned...

20. gekidoslayer

gekidoslayer

Unity Technologies

@trof downloads are back! the data center had some issues, but they are resolved.

thanks for pointing it out!

trof likes this.
  21. HugMat

HugMat

I have a question, is it possible to access an audio track in the timeline via a script to mute it ?
    thanks

22. twobob

twobob

Letdown for the remaining persistent license holders that this wasn't included in 5.6 at all.
    Hey ho.

23. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

@mikew_unity Is Timeline going to have built-in Render function like SFM/other video editing programs? I know that there is recorder created by Unity japan https://github.com/unity3d-jp/FrameCapturer but it's all done realtime in-game so it's not the best for the people with low-end PC's since they can't render it in HD or they have low framerate. It would be really useful for recording trailers.

Attached Files:

awesomedata likes this.
  24. ArthurT

ArthurT

It'd be nice to have something similar released to what Blacksmith used, to output the results to ffmpeg with a fixed timestep. In the meantime, you can probably try this tool out and see if it fits your needs: https://github.com/keijiro/FFmpegOut

JakubSmaga likes this.
  25. Martin_Charriere

Martin_Charriere

Just gave a try at the new version from the 2017.1 beta. Had couple of bugs/crash early on. Seems pretty unstable to me still but the logic and the main features looks well tought and practical. I had a crash when undoing while recording keyframes on timeline window.

Couple of things from my first experiments.

When converting animated parameters to animation clip. The animation preview playback does not play the clip at the right time when the clip is dragged further along the timeline. The animation starts to play at second 1' but the clip is supposed to play at second 4' for instance. After disabling/enabling preview fonction, it works.

It would be great to be able to create animation clips directly by right-cliking on from the timeline.

I also created an new animation track on a 3d cube. Hit recording. And it was impossible to animate rotation in the inspector, it works in the curve editor if I edit the keyframe manually though. It would be nice to be able to drag/modify keyframes while recording in preview mode.

It would also be very practical to have the Timeline always displaying on the timeline window(if it is not the case yet). Regardless of if another Gameobject is selected. It would only switch if the gameobject is a Timeline director.

Gonna keep playing around with the version! Thanks for the great work already done!

Too-Nerd-To-Die likes this.
  26. awesomedata

awesomedata

Anyone know the ETA on the character posing functionality a la SFM or Skele, or was that feature a miscommunication?

27. xCyborg

xCyborg

Hi guys, Timeline and Playables works awesome in 2017.1.
    Any chance we can expect a tween engine or spline based waypoint system in the roadmap in the future?

JakubSmaga and Alverik like this.
  28. Alverik

Alverik

That'd be awesome, lol. Also, wish they'd make a character controller, and a navmesh agent, which could natively handle states and its animations in one place. Or at least have common states, like walk, run, jump, swim,climb, etc... which are used in tons of games. Anyway, out of context comment over, lol.

29. SK83RJOSH

SK83RJOSH

I believe they put together a bunch of example scripts showcasing these kinds of features a few weeks ago. Here's a link if you'd like to play with them. :)

30. Alverik

Alverik

Thanks, I'll take a look.

ManjitSBedi likes this.
  31. HugMat

HugMat

Hey, I have my timeline with audio sources and animation clips in it, and I would like to access them via a script.
    Any clue how to do that ?

Thanks

32. nrlnd

nrlnd

This is really really great : ) I am/was from the nle post prod world. I mostly work with experiences and installations. Allot of audio visual work so most of my work is synced / composed to audio. Something for a future update or maybe you already thought about it already. A visible waveform on the audio tracks would really be super because then you could do some really tight audio cuts / anims without leaving timeline.
    Oh .. uhm snap to beat.. would be nice too. ; )

That would probably be harder to implement but please consider exposed waveforms!

33. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

Works like a charm here! Thanks! One question though, why not internally implement this?

34. SK83RJOSH

SK83RJOSH

You can get a list of tracks via this method and a list of clips via this method. I also wrote some rather (poor) extensions for dealing with some other various functionality here. Note that I would strongly advise against using the extensions there, but if you're in a tight spot right they're really your only option for the time being.

35. HugMat

HugMat

36. MBolufer

MBolufer

Hi there,
    Timeline is an awesome sequencer !
    Is there a way to edit blocks and track group colors ? It will be very helpfull wih hudge timelines !
    It would also be great to display some informations (active camera name, Timecode...) on game view... :)

laurentlavigne likes this.
  37. magique

magique

I'm confused. Cinemachine is working all the way back to Unity 5.4, but Timeline is only for 5.6 and later? Why won't Timeline be available for 5.4/5.5?

38. Alverik

Alverik

Timeline is not an asset. It's embedded into Unity. Some Unity editor's API had to be created, some modified, to get it to work. So it's not backwards compatible. It's not a package anyways, it's like mecanim or the animation window. It's just there as one of Unity's native tools.

39. magique

magique

OK. That makes sense. What a shame that we can't get it in Unity 5.5 though. I guess I'll have to make do with other similar tools.

40. Alverik

Alverik

The 5.6 Timeline preview build is pretty stable (at least I haven't had any issues with it), maybe you could give that a try (though, you might as well wait two or three weeks for 2017.1 beta to get stable enough).

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  41. magique

magique

I am locked into 5.5 for my project so that's not an option for me.

42. corn

corn

When can we expect updates to the documentation for 2017.1.0b3 ? The release notes only mention "Documentation is in progress expect a better one in a few weeks" when it comes to Playables. I didn't see any updates to the Timeline Manual either.

Are there any up to date ressources on Playables available yet ?

43. SK83RJOSH

SK83RJOSH

I'm wondering this as well.

Most of my work has been made obsolete with the removal of the BasicPlayable class and the PlayableBehaviour isn't documented yet.

ArthurT likes this.
  44. ArthurT

ArthurT

The only example I could find is when creating a new C# Playable Behaviour script and the current documentation b3 comes with.

45. Deleted User

Deleted User

Is there a way to bind a custom AudioSource from Scene to an AudioClip in the timeline? I tried to use the AudioPlayableAsset but I could not fix it yet! Thanks in advance!

46. Christine_R

Christine_R

Unity Technologies

Hi
    There is no way to colour block groups currently. Going forward, we'd like to add more functionality to groups and we'll definitely look at colour blocking. Great feedback. Thanks.

MBolufer likes this.
  47. julienb

julienb

Unity Technologies

Waveform previews are planned; we are aiming to have it in for 2017.2.

48. julienb

julienb

Unity Technologies

49. pechaut

pechaut

Am I the only one to experience this ?

Install 2017.1 b4, create a project from scratch, put a plane, a cube .. a new Gameobject, go to Timeline on while this emptu gameobject is selected, click create and.. surprise, everything looks fine and I can create timelines, but there is no tick, no time tick !

Where there should be 0....0:05....0:10... etc, there is absolutely nothing, and after playing with record and other elementsi have an exception thrown:

NullReferenceException: object REference not set to an instance of an object.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEditor.EditorGUI.DoObjectField (Rect position, Rect dropRect, Int32 id, UnityEngine.Object obj, System.Type objType, UnityEditor.SerializedProperty property, UnityEditor.ObjectFieldValidator validator, Boolean allowSceneObjects, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/ObjectField.cs:206)
    UnityEditor.EditorGUI.DoObjectField (Rect position, Rect dropRect, Int32 id, UnityEngine.Object obj, System.Type objType, UnityEditor.SerializedProperty property, UnityEditor.ObjectFieldValidator validator, Boolean allowSceneObjects) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/ObjectField.cs:21)

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  50. texdata

texdata

Are there delegates for OnTimelinePlay, OnTimelineEnded or something similar to know when timeline ended?
    How can one change target object of a track with script ?
    Is there something like Event track or how can i trigger an event ?