Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

TileMe. Make any texture seamless inside Unity + Texture generator. [Asset] [Coming Soon]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by stanislavdol, May 6, 2016.

1. stanislavdol

stanislavdol

Hey, folks.
    TileMe is a new Unity editor extension I've been working on recently.

TileMe has 2 main functions:

- Make any texture seamless with 1 click of a button:
    demo2.jpg
    demo4.jpg
    - Generate unlimited number of unique textures based on a few input textures (again with just on click of a button):
    demo1.jpg
    demo3.jpg
    Input textures can have different brightness and color, they will be automatically adjusted to user-defined basic style(in the example above a first(top-left) texture was set to be the basis texture, defining a color style of a resulting texture).
    Due to generation process output texture size is unlimited with no quality loss, although repetitive patterns are more likely to appear.

Already available for 10$(price will be increased after multiple maps support is added)
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/72449

ToDos:
    - Auto-scaling - Done
    - Batch processing (make all textures inside a certain folder seamless) - Done
    - Add support for multiple maps - in process.
    - Perform some operations on GPU(planned for future updates, having some troubles there)
    (Right now everything is done on CPU, it takes ~1sec to make 1024x1024 texture seamless and ~ 10 sec for 4096x4096 tex on a 3 yo laptop with 4th gen i7)

P.S. If you have any problems or have found some bugs don't hesitate to contact me, usually I respond quite fast.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  2. ENNEMMEE

ENNEMMEE

This looks really good and really interesting. A few years back, I did work on an editor extension myself (I called it ImagePunch) that was also intended to help create textures - heightmaps and bump maps to be specific. Although it was poorly programmed, it did work. Calculating bump maps ain't that hard. I think this would also be a very nice addition to your project and in the end it would become a really powerful texturing tool: you could create a ready-to-go material with a tiled texture, bump maps and height maps from just a bunch of images - sounds awesome to me!

Here is my project, feel free to take the code: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/imagepunch-free-bump-normal-map-editor-extension.244605/

3. stanislavdol

stanislavdol

Thanks, looks promising, I will definitely consider adding such functionality

4. Robber-Docks

Robber-Docks

Looks pretty awesome to me! I'm sure many developers would need this.

5. ElectroMantis

ElectroMantis

That second example is something I haven't seen anywhere else. Watching this.

6. stanislavdol

stanislavdol

Added auto-scaling, so that input textures could have different resolution.
    Input textures also can be non-square, they will be automatically cut.

Another texture generator example with random ground\grass textures:
    demo3.jpg

7. manpower13

manpower13

Looks stunning

8. stanislavdol

stanislavdol

Thank you.
    Added batch processing capability. First version will soon hit the store

9. tpelham42

tpelham42

This looks like a very handy utility. The multiple texture blending/tiling would be very interesting to see especially if it also supported additional maps such as normals/ao/metallic/roughness.

10. stanislavdol

stanislavdol

Have been incredibly busy with a VR project and didn't have much time for working on it but even at the current state I was surprised myself how handy it is sometimes and how much faster it is to make a texture seamless right inside of Unity.
    Anyway just submitted this tool to the assetstore.

DevMember and AdamGoodrich like this.
  11. stanislavdol

stanislavdol

12. DevMember

DevMember

Nice Asset, unlimited texture... xD
    Comes handy one day. I mark that.

13. stanislavdol

stanislavdol

New textures are assembled from a big number of small pieces of input textures, so they are unique. However, repetitive patterns appear sometimes.

14. magique

magique

Looks very good so far. Thanks for the quick responses to my e-mail questions. I don't need this exactly at this moment, but I'll definitely put this on my wish list for a near future purchase.

15. Knightmore

Knightmore

Instant Buy. Just saw it and already got it.
    Gonna play around with it tomorrow, as I have a lot of selfshot pictures I wanted to use as textures but cba to get them all through photoshop. :)

16. stanislavdol

stanislavdol

Feel free to contact me if you have any problems/questions/improvement suggestions ;)

17. Knightmore

Knightmore

I tried it a bit today and the first problem that occured was, that I had to create the folder Ressources/Output/Seamless by hand, else I would get everytime an error message that the texture couldn't be created.

I even wonder how you got such good results. I have tried the texture generator with two textures but I always get a lot artifacts like you can see in this example:

result_q.png

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  18. stanislavdol

stanislavdol

Thanks for your response and for testing, sent you a pm.

Hm. That's weird. Output folder for some reasone wasn't included in the asset store package. Not sure why did this happen.
    You can always try included textures, Guide demonstrates how you can get such results with ease.

I don't think I would be able to get good results merging these 2 textures together even in photoshop =). Not enough details and they are too different.

But I know about these artifacts and working on eliminating them (unfortunately, it's quite tricky due to the textures assembly method), that's why I wrote in guide that generator is currently in testing. But usually they appear rarely.
    I would be grateful if you could send me these 2 texture for testing purposes.

What about main feature - making texture seamless, any issues there?

19. Knightmore

Knightmore

Yeah, those two textures were more like a hardcore test to see what it could handle ;)
    I tried it with 4 different grass pictures and I couldn't see any problems. It was even hard to figure out where which part of which texture was (together with "Adjust Textures" and Power: 10)

The seamless function works good even with some detail critical surfaces like my test below:

pebbletest.png

Sometimes you need to let it generate a second time to get a seamless texture without any details standing out.
    But so far for grass, rock, fabrics and concrete the results weren't worse than some of my Bitmap2Material tests 2 years ago.

20. stanislavdol

stanislavdol

I'm happy to announce that today I submitted a new version that supports multiple maps. As usual it will take up for 10 days fo assetstore team to aprove an update. If you already purchased this asset and want to get an update right away, please contact me by e-mail.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    Knightmore likes this.
  21. kilik128

kilik128

i'am fan so think's like this so i have add in wish list and hope see in real soon

stanislavdol likes this.
  22. stanislavdol

stanislavdol

New version is already available!
    TileME

DevMember likes this.