Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

TileMap Production Release

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by douglasparker, Jul 31, 2016.

1. douglasparker

douglasparker

Is there any eta for a production ready release? Alpha is fine and bugs are expected, but I want to ensure the TileMap Editor is compatible with future versions.

I plan to start a big project soon and wanted to opt in with Unity. I don't mind waiting but I need an eta.

Nothing worse than waiting 1 year only to find out it's still not near release.

Makosai likes this.
  2. Makosai

Makosai

I am also in the same situation. I am currently doing a large project and would like to utilize the 2D editor in a state that I know will work when future updates come. I saw that Unity 5.4 was just released a few days ago. I hope that 5.5 beta is coming soon and that TileMap will be included in it this time. My project depends on it.

3. Johaness_Reuben

Johaness_Reuben

We're currently looking at two more iterations of Previews before locking it in for a production ready release. This will not only provide more honed feature but a stable release as well.
    I will be updating with some etas' soon.:)

Zelek, Makosai and douglasparker like this.
  4. douglasparker

douglasparker

Awesome! Thank you very much for the reply!

5. Reaxgrim

Reaxgrim

good to hear. been waiting for these kind of features for a long time :)
    preview 1 seems pretty solid. not ran into any big problems so far.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  6. Xelnath

Xelnath

Any ETA on the ETA?

Hahah :D

7. danbrani

danbrani

I've switched to the new tilemap for my project and I must say I didn't have almost any problems at all so far, I'm generating the map procedurally so I didn't need to use all the features, but everything I needed was there, and the new tilemaps are so much more flexible than the ones I used so far (coming with the 2dtoolkit plugin). The performance is solid as well, which I'm really happy about, great job team!

The biggest problem for me is for some reason my game doesn't build properly with the experimental preview version of unity, in editor it works fine, but there are a lot of weird errors when running a build, which don't happen with the 5.3 which I'm currently using.

Hoping for a quick release of this feature!

8. douglasparker

douglasparker

Just be aware that it isn't stable for production. It is possible that everything you work on in your project could potentially break as new versions are released.

That's why I want the new 2D features made stable.

9. ColossalPaul

ColossalPaul

Unity Technologies

Could you share with us some details?

10. danbrani

danbrani

Of course, here's the log: http://pastebin.com/rWpg5deJ

Other than that, when I try to debug the player, almost right away I get a weird behaviour where a called function has paramaters different than what the caller has passed.

I made a project which displays the weird behaviour. The issue shows up in a different circumstances though.

Running in editor - works fine
    Debugging script in the edtior - doesn't work
    Running the build - works fine
    Debugging the script in the build - works fine

So if the stars align, if you step through the code in the editor you should see the corrupted parameters and an exception thrown out.

"Repro" project: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n75tsdwnh1b1i0h/5.5.0a6_bug.zip?dl=0

I'm not sure if this is the cause of the errors in the original project, where the errors appear only in the build.

As I said before, the project builds and works fine on 5.3.4.

Attached Files:

11. AssembledVS

AssembledVS

Do you think that the production ready release will be ready before the end of the year? The Unity Roadmap makes it sound like it is a long way off.

12. Jay-Pavlina

Jay-Pavlina

One of the errors you're getting I've had previously and was able to solve:
    For me, it happened when I tried to serialize a Vector2Int, so just serialize a Vector2 and convert it to Vector2Int later, if that's what you're doing.

You also have a serialization error, which is probably caused by serializing a field in a UNITY_EDITOR #ifdef section.

Johaness_Reuben and danbrani like this.
  13. danbrani

danbrani

You nailed it! It was Vector2Int not being serializable, would probably never thought of that, thanks!

The serialization errors were also caused by the Vector2Ints existing in my ScriptableObjects and more.

14. Jay-Pavlina

Jay-Pavlina

Glad it helped. It took me a long time to realize that was causing the error.

15. malcneuro

malcneuro

I was curious about this, the roadmap is a bit pessimistic, but the Unite videos, etc. seem a lot more positive.

Really, that ETA would be cool. Really, it´s just if I buy an asset from the asset store, or trust that the out-of-the-box experience will be stable in the foreseeable future.