Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by wondersonic, Feb 14, 2012.
A spin-off of this wonderful video game:
This looks very good, I love the starting music! Also I don't know if it was the video but the sfx had a lot of noise at some point. Also,The ship needs to shoot something! Keep it up!
It is a known issue related to the capture tool.
Indeed, in the second level!
Webplayer for first level.
Wow looks great.
I can't think of any side scrolling shooters that go from right to left. very unique.
You can't link html files like that from google code. You need to use Dropbox. It's free and works for what you're trying to do.
Hehe pretty cool, love the asteroid field.
Although where is the skill involved? Seems like u just fly into everything?
You got to try it yourself (see the webplayer link above)
Skill involved: your shield power decreases over time + it takes time to reload (check the shield color) + asteroid movement are random...
Done now! ;D
Version 0.0.13 just deployed! See webplayer in the first post:
Second level WIP:
1st part done at 75%:
2nd part at 40%:
version 0.0.14 released (see webplayer link above)
this looks great! If it weren't a remake I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
By "remake" I mean: I already developped the first 3.1 levels (3rd never finished: too ambitious) in Java/OpenGL but with Unity3D it is ways faster! I just remade the 2 first levels in 2 months instead of 10!
Also this is a spin-off occuring at the very end of the original video game! This is a complete new game with gameplay, musics and graphics inspirations.
Oh ok, thank you for the clarification on that.
Looks really promising. Really! I will be following the development of your game, Wonder.
A few comments
- The music
- The visuals
- The sound FX
- The wow factor (even if it's at an early stage)
- Shield management for solid obstacles.
- Right to left.Left to right. I like it.
- I could go on for awhile like that.
- While the asteroid field gameplay works well (shield conservation vs.use at the right time) it's too repetitive. I can see, as a level by itself, this gameplay last for maybe 30 seconds, with waves coming at the ship instead of a constant rain of rock, and then, you know, more and more near the end until it's like it is right now. But I'd do it progressively. And why not during a regular mission?
- Ship speed a bit too fast? (you probably planed on having speed upgrades, but still)
- The fact that you can go that much lower and above the main screen height makes you lose track of the center of the screen. (more of a problem in level 2 I'd say.)
- You should go for some shooting in level 1 too to serve as a shooting tutorial.
- While I know you are not done with other levels, Level 2 is way too fast IMO. You don't have time to see the threats and the blocked off paths + for a speedy type of sequence like that, I wouldn't allow the ship to go above/below the main screen height. This would help a lot for judging where the ship is on screen vs. the world and you could still do very tight branching paths/obstacle avoidance.
- If you really want the ship to go that fast, why not a slow down button for tricky maneuvers?
- I reached the planet at the end of level 1, and I was confined in the upper right corner with no other option but to try and shield my way through the planet only to see I can't get past it. I died a few times and then an entrance suddenly appeared at the bottom and the ship was automatically taken inside of it.
Keep up the good work, Wonder!
Well, thank you very much, encouragments are always welcome
Progressively, why not. I'll have a think about it! However, you didn't mention the fun part of this stage. Do you know what I'm talking about?
Also I would like to hear your ideas to make this level less repetitive. I've got some ideas as some kind of "giant rotating donut" asteroid invincible that you must pass by flying through the hole. I thought also previously of a comet that would come from the background to cross the screen. Of course you would need to avoid it by going in one of the our corner...
And since this is the place where some space pirats are hiding maybe some space mine could also help.
In the second level, right? Indeed, speed control has been recently implemented.
Yes, for common layout as first level, this is on purpose. But for the second one, I've been struggling to find some "easy to implement" way to make these camera movements less anoying. I finally found a solution again thanks to Unity3D. You can find it in the last release (0.0.15) uploaded few minutes ago.
I've been talked to do so, so the "escape capsule" has now a blaster that was missing in the very first implementation in Java/OpenGL (see webplayer html page for controls).
But again, if you have some 3D/2D models/sprites that you think could make sens in this "asteroid field and space pirats hideout" context, please advise
You better try the new version and tell me. With camera consistency, I think speed is no more an issue. Also the point of this first part of this second level is indeed the speed which is also enhanced by the original game opening theme (but rearranged).
This is a very good idea. But too early in the game. I know that with the possibility of Unity3D it would take almost no time. (also playing with music pitch ).
"This is not a bug, this is a feature" as would say a friend. Indeed, you'll learn this trick in the first stage. There is always a good way to go on. Here, it was to avoid aasteroids going from the top (this changes at the end of the level) then since you can't beat the pirat asteroid... go where you can and wait for the cable to take you in the asteroid.
version 0.0.15 released (see webplayer link above)
Regarding the final scene of the first stage, I'll review some colliders to avoid being able to fly through the green asteroid ) Thanks!
Played the latest version. 0.0.15.
I didn't realize you had a speed modifier key. It didn't seem to do anything in the first level so I ignored it.
Yeah, a few asteroids at first, then more and more... you could have some asteroids come one by one too, these could be faster to test your reflexes.
The fun part? Well, avoiding ast., trying to hit the gold one or entering the planet? I didn't see any other "feature".
All your ideas are good, but I would also add enemy ships to shoot! That's less repetitive. There could be some attached to asteroids that detach when you destroy. the ast.. OR they could be hidden inside ast. ( I got A LOT more ideas, but I don't want to flood the message hehe, maybe we should talk on skype or something if you are interested)
You could start by just duplicating the player ship to use as enemies (if I understood correctly, you don't have sprites for enemies?) After, you can make actual enemy pirate ships. (It's easy to do actually... how did you implement the player ship? did you make it yourself?)
When I said, maybe add some shooting in level 1, I meant enemies to shoot at.
LEVEL 1 planet at the end: If the player is at the top of the screen, he'll try to go around the planet from above. This is where I got stuck. Maybe make the planet bigger and assure that the player can only go downwards and the enter then planet from there.
I didn't see any pirate ast. Was it the one that went fast from the top? If so, it just looked like some lost ast. that tried to crash on me.
LEVEL 2: corridors at an angle are too hard to do. You can't go up or down fast enough. MAYBE it has to do with the ships speed adjustment? Honestly, I can't tell what speed my ship is at. Maybe make it a slow OR fast toggle... just 2 speeds. You know, and if you're in fast mode, the thrusters are of a different color and bigger?
LAST NOTE: where did you get the music for all levels? One sounds like it's from duke nukem 3d??
Again, I got a lot of suggestions and ideas that would improve your game enormously, in term of game flow and design. If you are interested, just PM me.
Indeed, it doesn't work for the escape capsule on purpose. It is a kind of "limited" ship. But it works for the next ships of the next levels.
Ok, you missed the fun part really, check out the first video (v0.0.7). You should see something around 1m25s
Yes, I'll pm you!
Ok, I don't know your knowledge regarding thunder force games, by which ships may I add, I meant, "point one enemy of a given level" (image on the web or youtube) and I'll add it (maybe rework it a little).
The 1st level ship is a part of the 3D model of the Rynex (from TF4). The 2nd level ship is the one in TF3. (I make a progression in the ships you can control to get back a brand new powerful ship in the 3rd level).
I'll increase asteroids coming from the top to force the player to do so
The pirat asteroid head quarter is the massive green one, look closely on the left, there is a discrete "pirat mark"
ok for the speed I'll decrease it (600 -> 500 units), maybe increase it when I'll start coding difficulty levels
The speed meter in in the upper right corner, check the 100% meaning you are at full speed! pressing the speed key, will make it go to 20% -> 40% -> 60% -> 80% -> 100% -> 20%...
In theory, you are escaping from pirats in this level so you start at full speed.
The musics are from the different thunder force episodes, they may be rearranged by some people giving me the right to use them
I'll not hesitate! Thanks for your help!
version 0.0.16 released (see webplayer link above)
Unity web player crashing... oops!
Yes, I just saw that, something related to decompression
As I can't rebuild the webplayer right now, I'm putting back the 0.0.15 version...
ok, it works on my side now. Just to confirm.
Can't wait to play the updated version.
This new version (0.0.16) contains some corrections you told me about:
- progressive asteroid amount
- pirat asteroid colliders corrected
- more asteroid at the end to force going downward
- pirat asteroid docking cable collider bug
- space mine field
- title greetings
- new voices
version 0.0.17 just released!
(see webplayer link above)
Maybe you could put the link to the web player in your signature so we don't have to go back to the original post to play it! <---- lazy
And a new video:
This is an awesome first level, keep up the good work!
version 0.0.18 just released!
- F1 => reset game
- F12 => light-debug mode
- P => game paused
- replaced explosion sprites
- adjusted shield fire speed and reload speed
- allowed shield to reload when using blaster
- corrected bug regarding docking cable collider
- changed sound FX
- check ship collider during ending scene
Level 2-part 1:
- added bonus carrier
- added final warning signal
- added end transition
- changed level speed
- added red alarm
- changed ship speed
- changed sound FX
- manage bonus (sever + claws)
- manage final door hit points correctly
Level 2-part 2:
- added part 2
- add enemies
Lot's of new stuff!!!!
EDIT: lol when I read F12 = Light debug mode, I thought it was for debugging lighting.
It actually brings up the framerate + version number + the 99 lives gameplay debug mode.
Back to trying to finish level 1...
Check your PMs
Version 0.0.20 available!
Hey, can you make it through the first level without dying once?
I know I can (barely).
Yes, sometimes, if I don't focus on scoring
The mine field part is very hard though!
Version 0.0.21 available!
[OK] blink control panel at level start
[OK] skip to level 1 and 2 with F2 and F3 keys
[OK] F1 key resets the game
[OK] corrected mines
[OK] corrected donut asteroid
[OK] corrected shield implementation
Level 2 - INTRODUCTION :
[OK] intro added
Level 2 - PART 1 - Corridors:
[OK] added direction arrows
[OK] slow motion near the final door
[OK] final door size reduction
[OK] added Sever option and weapon
Version 0.0.22 available!
Graphics update for stage 2-1!! Nice!
"skip to level 1 and 2 with F2 and F3 keys" I love you, man!
Thanks, and yes, this is for testing purposes!
A new video has just been added:
Hi, i like this game an i am a big retro fan. I play`d the first level and i think there are to many meteorids inside. But one in all a very good start.
Thanks! About difficulty, I'll maybe implement difficulty level soon (I had same remarks as yours from other people).
Version 0.0.23 uploaded.
- the (lonely) turret in the corridor now fires lasers
- the pirate's asteroid head quarter had been remade (thanks to Moon-Quake)
- escape capsule now fires faster (blaster weapon)
- level 2 text introduction modified
- level 2-1 end door should blink when hit (but with slowmotion it is not really noticeable yet)
- reviewed asteroid mass for coherent forces applied on rigidbody
- reduced number of asteroids emited
Ok...at the beginning the meteorits are ok, after 1 minute i can`t destroy this, to many....oh damn...please make for myselfe, easy, medium and hard. Now at the moment it is hard, or i am a rookie ...sorry. But the game is very very cool. I play`d this game on the sega mega drive and ok, in this time i come to level 6. Now...i can`t handle the first one. :-|
This would be just for you then (be patient, it is scheduled once level 2 will be finished...)
this looks great, I love the original so will be tracking the progress
Thanks! Don't hesitate if you have remarks!
Version 0.0.24 uploaded.
- staff animation modified
- new pirate's asteroid head quarter integration finished
- removed mad asteroid tempest at end of level
- longer second level intro
- shield meter labelled progress in the opposite direction
- added shadows to the ship
- modified multi-ways arrows color, made them both appear
- added pirate-logo normal maps to pre-intersection walls
- corrected pirate ship for future pursuit in the corridors
- weapon carrier speed reduced and no more collide the Styx!
- to jump to a given level, one must before switch to debug mode => F12 then F2/3