Search Unity

The WIP forum is a mess

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by Murgilod, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Murgilod

Murgilod

I feel like it's time a thread was made about this. It was brought up in another thread how the WIP forum is kind of a mess, though I can't recall which.

There are a lot of problems, but I think one of the biggest offenders (to me, at least) is the sheer volume of released assets that occupy the forum. I can understand unreleased assets, like HXGI (which may never see release) but released assets should probably have their primary support coming from the Asset Store forum. I also think it'd be better if it was divided into two subforums: one for assets, and one for games/other projects made with Unity. I know prefixes kinda solve this, but not everything gets tagged properly.

Right now, though, browsing the WIP forum feels more like I'm browsing the Asset Store forum, which it really shouldn't.

elmar1028 likes this.
  2. Buhlaine

Buhlaine

Community Manager

Thanks for the feedback, this is something I would like to address for two reasons. First, I think there is a lot of value in a WIP forum that allows for users to engage and show progress on their games / assets / art. Second we want to provide a place for Asset Store publishers to be able to update users or potential users with their projects, but you're right maybe this shouldn't live on the WIP board.

Moving forward I think the key here is to find ways to highlight content from the WIP board to better showcase what people are working on, while allowing any content that is "WIP" to live there. It could be that the end goal should allow for users to move their Asset Store release into the Asset Store forum to help de-clutter some of the released projects. It's something I'll spend time looking into!