Search Unity

The future of Everyplay

Discussion in 'Unity Everyplay' started by 00christian00, Nov 8, 2016.

1. 00christian00

00christian00

Hello Everyplay devs,
    I am curious if there is any plans to add new features to Everyplay and in general if there are long terms plans for it.
    I am asking cause right now it seem development has kind of stalled and it is always more quiet here.
    There are a lot of alternatives right now and some are even integrated in the os.
    -Replaykit allow anybody to record in a frictionless way, and even live broadcast with any broadcasting app you have installed.
    -Mobcrush let you live broadcast and then keep the recording in the portal, so it could also be used for simple gameplay recording. It also has chat and donations.
    -Play games services has allowed recording and live broadcasting, although it's a little immature imho.

Any plans to step up the game? How about adding live broadcasting too?
    The sharing workflow should be revised too in my opinion as it seem a little unintuitive.
    I am integrating everyplay in my game since it's the only one who have a good support for sharing incentivization at the moment, but I wouldn't want to lay my eggs on something which has been dropped.
    Right now it seem the focus is only to fix bugs, which you should know well on a competitive and fast changing market like mobile cannot work.

Blarp likes this.
  2. Blarp

Blarp

I agree with original poster. I used this for Mobile and my users were so upset with the functionality that they forced me to remove it.

My wish list, tho:
    -AutoShare recordings without Prompting the player to the same domain hosting the client.
    -WebGL functionality.

3. ullatussimo

ullatussimo

Unity Technologies

Hi @00christian00 , @Blarp ,

Thanks for asking about Everyplay’s roadmap. We are committed to providing Everyplay to Unity and non-Unity developers.

While there are alternatives, Everyplay is currently the only cross-platform replay recording and sharing solution for iOS and Android that lets your users share to Facebook, Twitter and Youtube.

The alternatives you mentioned are either not cross-platform (e.g. ReplayKit) or they are limited to single sharing destination (e.g. Google Play Games’s API allowing only sharing to YouTube or Mobcrush only to Mobcrush.com). We’ve also measured Everyplay’s performance to be somewhat better than e.g. ReplayKit.

We have recently released support for recording on Android 7, which is currently not supported by any other service than Google’s own sharing API to YouTube.

While live streaming is an exciting technology, it is quite niche for mobile games at this point in time. The streamers who are have or want to grow an audience have typically an existing software and hardware setup on a PC or a Mac for streaming games, and they are more likely to use that instead of a built-in live streaming solution in mobile games. That is why we don’t have near term plans to add live streaming support.

Hope this answers your questions.

Please let us know if you have further questions / concerns.

Cheers,
    Simo

4. 00christian00

00christian00

Hi Simo,
    Thanks for your response.

Technically not true. I mentioned those because these are the most promising but there are also asian parties which fit these criterias like openrec and lobi( supported by giants like Monster Strike an Puzzle and Dragons).
    Speaking of Asia, how is the localization going along? It's few buttons, not hundreds of line of text.
    Using the latest sdk still show everything in english. Do you have an ETA?

I just tested an S4 mini with an unofficial Nougat 7.1 and it's not working. The same device was working with 6.0 and the video encoding acceleration is working, tested with another app and the logs also says everything seem fine. I am attaching the log.

Anyway things that should be revised to be an app of 2016:
    1-Proper localization.
    2-Allow login with sdk when available. Facebook has a nice sdk which simply call the facebook app when installed 90% of the time, why not use it?
    Furthermore google says that webview oauth is deprecated and may discontinued soon, so youtube login may stop working soon. The proper way to do it is by opening the web browser so that the user can actually check the legitimacy of a request. For all the user know that webview could be a page storing all their credentials.
    3-Allow to fallback to a software encoder on unsupported devices.
    4-Allow manually clearing failsafe
    5-Make the dialog all consistent! Right now there is leftover from even Unity acquisition.
    The share UI use the new style, the edit UI use another old style, Facebook,Twitter login has the Everyplay icon from thousand years ago.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

5. ullatussimo

ullatussimo

Unity Technologies

Hello @00christian00,

Thanks for your response.

Concerning localization, unfortunately we do not yet have an ETA for this.
    The reason is that we do not want to leave the localization to middle ground, where certain UI elements are localized where others are not.
    We are planning on implementing the localizations server-side. This will make localization possible without having to update the Everyplay SDK.

We have tested our SDK against official Android 7 & Android 7.1 releases on currently available devices.
    Due to the nature of custom roms, there may be combinations that work, but also combinations that do not.
    We rely on low-level hardware & driver functionality. There may be issues if some roms use functionality from older Android versions patched to newer versions.
    Once the Android 7 matures, and more OEM vendors start shipping their implementations out there, we can further improve our compatibility with it.

To address the bullet points:
    1.) We are working on this. We just want to make the functionality properly and this takes time.
    2.) We do have the Improved Facebook sharing functionality. If you send our support your iOS bundle id, Everyplay client id & the Android keyhash, we can set this up.
    After it's set up in our end, Facebook sharing should work properly together with the Facebook SDK.
    We're looking into the webview oauth process in order to future-proof our product, but we can assure you that at the moment sharing to social medias is fully operational.
    3.) The reason we do not provide software encoder at the moment is that usually the devices that have issues tend to be quite low-end devices.
    As said, we rely on hardware & driver-level functionality. This enables us to record the gameplay with little effect on performance.
    Should the recording be done with software encoding, the performance of the whole game would suffer, lowering the end-user experience.
    4.) Unfortunately this is not on our roadmap at the moment. The failsafe was added for the reason that if a device is having compatibility issues with our SDK, the players will still be able to play the game itself.
    Enabling clearing the flag manually can lead to situation where the app would crash every time, preventing the players from playing the game. Our newest SDK version (2130-1550) contains an improved version of our Failsafe mechanism. The improvements should reduce the amount of false positives greatly.
    5.) We are working on this. There are numerous updates and improvements coming up.

Hope this addresses your concerns about our product.

Please be patient, we haven't forgotten you, the game developers.

Cheers,
    Simo

6. creat327

creat327

I dropped Everyplay after years of "we are working on..." bs.
    I was very excited some years ago when I added everyplay to my game and the potential it could have, but in all this time, the updates are mostly bug fixes. For iOS I moved to Replaykit and for Android i'm moving to Google Play. Not only because they work better but because Everyplay was creating all kind of issues on devices to the point my players requested to completely remove it and they would use other means to record.

Now, it would be nice if Everyplay was really cross-platform, but 2 platforms does not mean cross platform. I can easily use any plugin on iOS/android, what are important are the other missing platforms like mac/pc/windows8x. Which btw, had been requested a million times and "we are working on..." replied.

In short, Everyplay at this point is dead. If you go to their website and check your account (i just did after over a year without stopping by), you'll see there hasn't been a single change. No analytics (also requested and "we are working on...", no anything new whatsoever.

I hope things turn around but until I see more doing and less talking, I'm using other plugins.

Sorry for the negative post, and I hope someone at Everyplay finally gets the message.

Blarp likes this.
  7. creat327

creat327

from the replies and considering that it's been 2 months without updates or roadmaps... is this the answer?

8. polytropoi

polytropoi

It seems pretty alive to me - as ullatussimo said above, it's the only cross (mobile) platform solution with all the socials built in. It's cake to setup, interface is unobtrusive, web stuff looks nice and works well. And it's free! I can also report that it works well with arkit, hopefully arcore will be the same.

Mobile movie making is about to blow up with AR kit/core, and I think Everyplay is positioned to be a leading gateway for that kind of thing. The content compared to twitch just hasn't been as compelling, but that's about to change.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Mikael-H likes this.
  9. creat327

creat327

He last posted in November 2016. We are almost in November 2017. If that sounds pretty alive... still waiting for a roadmap or something somewhere

Blarp and User340 like this.
  10. pep_dj

pep_dj

Any news? Roadmap? Localization?

11. 00christian00

00christian00

I guess It's pretty obvious by now that Everyplay is not actively developed anymore and only maintained to the minimum to support new OS versions and devices.

12. Lanre

Lanre

Hi guys. I suggest that you check out the NatCorder API. We started developing it after getting frustrated at Everyplay's shortcomings (and Unity's slow response in addressing them). NatCorder offers more features than Everyplay, most significantly in custom recording resolutions and encoder parameters. It is still in beta so we are sharing it with as many developers as we can (for free) to get good feedback on bug reports and feature requests.

henriqueranj likes this.
  13. 00christian00

00christian00

So it's that time of the year again:
    Any update on Everyplay future? If it's being discontinued please tell us in advance, the last update was in September.

Blarp, isoPepe and rebb_ like this.
  14. Blarp

Blarp

15. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

16. Lanre

Lanre

Blarp likes this.
  17. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

Yes, and I am happy I took the risk on NatCorder even though it was beta and brand new in the market. Thank you for all the hard work @Lanre !

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Lanre and Blarp like this.
  18. NestorAlgieri

NestorAlgieri

Thanks for supporting NatCorder. Please let me know of any issues.

Lanre and Blarp like this.
  19. aurorakb

aurorakb

20. Blarp

Blarp

No, because the point in my users recording content is so that I can spread the content accordingly through any social media channel or self hosted hub of my choosing. Not through an intermediary that micro-transactions the shares, which handicaps my ability to spread the content. Locked down sharing abilities basically defeats the purpose. You should probably find a different avenue to monetize that doesn't effect your ability to gain developer adoption.

This is like, what photon is to networking. Something to get a short term idea down, but then completely remove it when you have enough money to fund development to do it correctly.

Your product is something that I would not try past the initial research.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  21. Lanre

Lanre

I thought I'd add to this since the Megacool service looks pretty interesting. We are considering adding GIF recording to NatCorder on only iOS and Android. If so, then you get GIF recording without all the overhead and restrictions that services like Megacool and Everyplay impose on developers. I'll keep you updated.

EDIT: We're adding GIF recording to NatCorder on iOS, Android, Windows, and macOS.

EDIT EDIT: We added GIF recording to NatCorder in the latest version, 1.3.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    SweatyChair, Blarp and henriqueranj like this.