Search Unity

The Courseware doesn't really explain any Script

Discussion in 'Unity Certification' started by danimarti, Oct 22, 2016.

1. danimarti

danimarti

Hi, I took the Courseware not because I wanted to be certified but wanted to learn faster. I thought it was really interesting because it was based on a real game. But I started to feel disappointed really fast when I realized none of the scripts to control the player, the enemies, the attacks,.. were explained at all. Chapter 11, section 09 is the only place where some code is explained, but it's just an overview.

The course can go really deep to explain how to make all the attacks by using particle systems, what I think is great even if it's a little bit repetitive, but it does not explain a single line of code of how to make them work. It feels really unbalanced. You won't be able to create a game like that after taking the course, which I thought was the whole idea.
    The course is great to have an overview and learn really basic stuff, it's really well explained and goes step by step, but for me the lack of explanation on the scripts makes the course disappointing...
    Hopefully the "Professional Programmer" Course will be covering all of that... Looking forward to it.

2. TheXWolf

TheXWolf

While I haven't looked at the courseware, I think you hit it on the head with the programming part. The unity Learn area is as good as any for that stuff, the certification exam currently available covers very little that has to do with programming. I obviously can't talk about what was on the exam, but a detailed knowledge of the editor and how to use Unity in general, animations, light, sound etc. is more important.

3. dianqiangliu

dianqiangliu

Hi,
    I agree with TheXWolf,
    IMHO, unity itself is not a programming platform, it is a editor to make a game. well the game is so much more than just programming. A guy without any programming skills can always make better games than a professional programmer but with limited game production knowledge.
    Im not saying that programming is not a essential part of unity, just that there are many aspects that are equally important. The ideal outcome should be how to identify good script assets rather than write a good script.
    Just my personal opinion.

Cheers

4. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

My take on it is that computer programming (scripting) is like 3D modeling and using photoshop: they're outside of Unity, and we already have perfectly good non-Unity tests for them.

You wouldn't expect a Unity3D training course to teach photoshop or 3dsMax - it would be a waste of time for them to write, and wouldn't be as good as non-Unity stuff. I see programming the same way.

What Unity Co. should (and I assume does) test is how they can integrate with Unity - like whether a modeler knows Y-up, or a programmer knows the special Unity APIs, or an artist knows you can't clamp just one texture direction in Unity.

Here's my longer version of that: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/1252826/is-unity-for-beginners-if-not-what-else-should-i-k.html

5. TheXWolf

TheXWolf

Unity has the intentions of adding certifications for other aspects, i.e. programming, so I'm sure those will concentrate on knowledge of the systems inside the development pipeline. But the current exam is based entirely on use of the engine as an editor, it does touch on some of the technical aspects of each area though. You can view everything that will be asked on the exam here:
    https://certification.unity.com/the...unity-certified-developer-exam-objectives.pdf