Search Unity

Thank you!

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by DerDicke, Mar 11, 2017.

1. DerDicke

DerDicke

I just finished my first commercial projects with Unity. Two edutainment games, one which I did entirely by myself, another where I did all the code.

Working with Unity was a pleasure. Coming from an engine programming background I was used to big and overly complicated C++ code bases, nightly builds and all those problems that eat up 95% of your time because of all of the C++ issues and the way people deal with it (or not).
    Directly writing game code and see it working instantly was a new pleasurable experience to me.
    Thank Unity for:

1.) Your basic engine design. The combination of game objects, components and prefabs is superior to let's say UE or any other engine I worked with or wrote by myself. When following this Unity way things go well all the way. Scripts as components in prefabs? Thank you Jesus!

2.) Your sophisticated UI system. It simply works and provides good flexibility. Your render call batching for UI is pretty efficient.

3.) Coroutines. Turning this odd C# IEnumerator interface into something extremely useful like fully synchronized Coroutines was the work of a genius. I was fumbling forever to get this done in Lua and it never worked out.

4.) The asset store helped me a lot as a lone wolf programmer in solving the art problem.

5.) One-Click build for target platform. I'm not used to systems that actually work seamlessly. Usually it takes weeks of error hunting for black boxed systems (like Unity) or months to code this on your own. It simply works in Unity with a click. Great.

6.) Workflow. Compile times near zero, are you kidding me? Try UE after changing a header... go to dinner with your gf while compiling. Dragging artwork and using it directly, not writing exporters/converters, automatically assemble sprite sheets with a tag.. lots of great stuff.

Too bad doing Unity work does not seem to create enough money (for me) to actually pay the bills, let alone compete with what you earn in a big company for dull programming work, but it is a fun and rewarding experience reminding me why I learned to program in the first place.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    adriant, plind99, charlesb_rm and 3 others like this.
  2. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Thanks for posting this, it's always great to hear feedback. I've passed it along internally for everyone to see :)

karl_jones likes this.
  3. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

No, YOU keep up the good work :)

As Sara said, it's lovely to hear this sort of stuff and I'm glad we've been able to help you with something you are clearly passionate about!

karl_jones likes this.
  4. mukki014

mukki014

Hi unity , I don't know how and where to thank you so I just find this thread. All I wanna say is thank you 'Unity'. I started game developing in July 2017 and on 14 August 2017. I successfully build a PC game for just myself and friends. Well that game is kind of for beginners but still make me feel awesome . I don't know how to program but your engine do its work very well. I wont say creating game is easy but unity is a powerful engine for gaming. Now I'm feeling like a developer.
    So just thank you for giving us the wonderful opportunity to create beautiful games.

Buhlaine likes this.
  5. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

<3 this is awesome. I will be sure to pass on the kind words internally!