Search Unity

TextMesh Pro Text Scaling and rotation

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by rgjones, May 27, 2017.

1. rgjones

rgjones

I seem to find that the text when created is way larger then I want it to be so I need to scale it way down. Why is that?

Also when text is rotated for example around the Y axis, the margins go crazy when you try to adjust them. Is there is some other way I should be rotating the text vs adjusting the GO transform?

2. rgjones

rgjones

3. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

When using a normal TMP text object, the relative size is based on the size of your camera. This is the same when using the old TextMesh.

In terms of the size of the text container, you should be using the RectTransform tool to control the width and height of the RectTransform.

4. rgjones

rgjones

@Stephan-B I am using this with Vive VR setup so I am not sure how that factors into your response. I wan't to use TMP for text on intractable objects not for the UI in this case.

What about the rotation question?

5. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

A RectTransform is still used with the normal TextMesh Pro object to control its width and height.

Playing around with the RectTransform in perspective view and rotating around the Y Axis does appear to be broken in the latest release(s) of Unity. I just tested with a TextMesh component and the behavior is the same as with TMP.

Please submit a bug report about the RectTransform and this behavior.

In terms of the size of the text object, it is the same size / scale as the old TextMesh in World Space.