Search Unity

TextMesh Pro Text not show on Android device

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Simon75012, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Simon75012

Simon75012

Hi,
    I'm using TextMeshPro since a year.
    First of all, i just don't understand which new version i'm supposed to download.

First of all, when i update to the "Unity Technologies" publisher, i'm loosing all of my UI text in the app and have to create them again. The other update from "Stephan Bouchard" is note as "Deprecated". It's quite frustrating for the user who pay 70$ for it.

And since few days, when i run the app to an Android device, None of the TextMeshPro is shown. Everything is working well on iOS or Unity Editor...

I tried to unistall/reinstall the plugin, create new UI text, recreate fonts, but i still can't see any text on my android devices (test on 2 differents devices)...

Unity 5.5.1p4
    Test

2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

The version of TextMesh Pro with source code (for which you paid) will continue to be supported where updates will continue to be available on the TextMesh Pro user forum as they have been over the past several years.

If you have not done so already, please take the time to register to the TextMesh Pro user forum which will require you provide your invoice number. Once approved, I suggest you download the latest release of TextMesh Pro which is available in the "TMP - Alpha, Beta and Final Releases" section of the forum.

If the problem persists with this latest release, please make a post in the support section of the TMP user forum. There hasn't been any reports of issues specific to Android with the latest release so we should be able to figure out quickly what is going on in your case.

If you are able to Reproduce the behavior with a simple test scene, please include a repro of that project in your post on the TMP user forum. This always speeds up figuring out what is going to get you back up and running as soon as possible.

As usual please be sure to review the release and upgrade notes and always make a backup of your project first.

smithmj5 likes this.
  3. Simon75012

Simon75012

Thank Stephan, glad to hear that!

I just create an account into your forum and wait to be approved.

4. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Just approved a few new users so hopefully, you were one of them :)

P.S. Since it is 1:00 AM, I am going to go sleep but will check back tomorrow.

5. goldstein91

goldstein91

I am using free version of TextMesh Pro, and also have this kind of problem. I can see my fonts perfectly in inspector, but nothing on Android Mobile (tested on Android tablet too). I have tried to change the shader, but nothing yet.

Any solution? Thanks!

6. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

In this particular case, the issue was related to using Split Binary which in this case would be a Unity issue not related to TextMesh Pro.

Are you using split binary by any chance?

Emite and powereborn like this.
  7. goldstein91

goldstein91

Split binay? Hmmm I don't think so, when I build the app, I only have one apk file. You mean that?

8. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Can you try building example scene 1 included with TextMesh Pro to see if you get the same results?

9. goldstein91

goldstein91

I didn't have the scenes imported in my project, so I tried to reimport some staff and then TextMesh started to crash everywhere. I deleted all TextMesh Pro folder and then reimported all back again (this time, all files). Apart from classic error with .dll (the duplicated one, I had to delete one of them) I am getting errors when I create a new TextMesh Pro Text in scene. It says:

"
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    TMPro.TMP_Settings.get_autoSizeTextContainer ()
    TMPro.TMP_Text.LoadDefaultSettings ()
    TMPro.TextMeshPro.Awake ()
    UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent()
    TMPro.EditorUtilities.TMPro_CreateObjectMenu:CreateTextMeshProObjectPerform(MenuCommand)
    UnityEditor.GenericMenu:CatchMenu(Object, String[], Int32)"

I can not see my old TextMesh Pro and can't make new ones appear properly.

Now I am sad.

:(

10. goldstein91

goldstein91

I deleted the whole folder, then deleted the unitypackage in Appdata/Roaming and then redownloaded TextMesh Pro from Asset Store. It seems like this is completely different. When I try to create a new text in the inspector, it no longer says "TextMesh Pro Text". Now it says "3D Text".

But I am still having lots of errors like this:

"
    FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'TextMeshPro, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.
    "

However, now I am able to see the 3D text in the scene. It's clear that something has changed. But I am yet not able to build my game.

I am still sad. But a little less.

11. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Send me a PM with your email address and the version of Unity you are running. I will send you the correct version of TMP to match the version of Unity as you could also be running into the Asset Store issue where it provides the wrong version of the Asset.

I'll provide you with instructions in that email.

12. atalantus

atalantus

I had a similar problem.
    The method 'setText()' didn't worked for me when I built my game for android. The text just stayed the same.

I fixed it by setting the text property directly.

13. jjsqling

jjsqling

I had this issue too, how to fix it ?

My unity version is 5.6.1f1
    My TextMesh pro version is 1.0.55.56.0b9

14. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

It is kind of strange that SetText would behave differently on any platform. The code is exactly the same some something else is causing this behavior.

15. atalantus

atalantus

I only know that when I wanted to change the text and used setText("someText") nothing changed on android. (it worked in the editor)
    But when I changed it to TMPComponent.text = "someText" it worked.
    It was UGui text component.

16. atalantus

atalantus

Try to set the text property directly with
    TextMeshProComponent.text = "yourText";

Does this work for you?

Dante_ likes this.
  17. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Can you provide the script that you are using to change the text?

18. atalantus

atalantus

I mostly use it in my GameManager script...
    You can find some TMP.text in the activateDeathScreen() method at line 383.

Attached Files:

19. kelvin_mboto

kelvin_mboto

This has helped me too much. Thanks for saving me alot of time.

Project Settings > Player > Publishing settings > Split Binary Application should be unchecked.

gregg_unity257, Emite and powereborn like this.
  20. prisonerjohn

prisonerjohn

Hello,

I need to keep using "Split Binary Application", otherwise my APK is larger than 100MB and I can't upload it to the Google Play store.

Is there an alternative solution to this issue that allows this?

Thank you

21. andym_sv

andym_sv

22. powereborn

powereborn

I confirm, you need to uncheck Split Binary application and that solves the text pro missing.

-> You need to use AssetBundle and make sure in our "Asset" directory that any directory is not named "Resources" since any directory with this name will be included in your binary and thus causing issue with Google Play Store.

23. Emite

Emite

Can confirm that unchecking the "Split Binary Application" setting solved an issue we were having in our app where no text was appearing throughout the application. Thanks so much for this solution!

gregg_unity257 likes this.