Search Unity

Text Mesh Pro - The Ultimate Text Solution for Unity - Powerful & Flexible - Advanced Text Rendering

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Stephan-B, May 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Rest assured that I am not going anywhere.

Support for the paid version of TextMesh Pro will continue to be available as it has been for years on the TMP User Forum all while working on integrating the functionality and features currently available in TMP. Obviously, I will also be looking to leverage and take advantage of the closer integration to bring about even more powerful features and performance.

Cromfeli and DMeville like this.
  2. tylerw-savatronix

tylerw-savatronix

That's a real good way to get your credit card and possibly Unity account banned.

The steps you should take, if you have issue, is to contact the asset maker, and then Unity before going to a chargeback.

If you take the chargeback route (especially before contacting Unity) they are fully within their rights to perma-ban your card or your account.

Alverik, Ostwind and magique like this.
  3. M0rrigan

M0rrigan

Hello, don't know if this question has already been asked. I'd like to know if there's an option for shadow alpha to be depending on the text graphic, like the shadow of the built-in UI effect.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  4. Ostwind

Ostwind

That's kinda knee jerk thing to do since you did not even contact Unity first? and I'm surprised that your card provider even accepts such thing if you had the asset for months since they can't know how much you used it. Digital products change price or have discounts all the time

I'm not sure if this correct but saw it yesterday somewhere (reddit, slack, ?) that you might get a refund officially if you bought the asset past 1-2 months.

5. PedroGV

PedroGV

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  6. silentneedle

silentneedle

About what Unity UI are you talking about? The current native Unity UI solution is (imo) the best of the industry.

If Unity is going to implement TMP at the same quality as the UI I'll be very happy about it. I just hope that the transition doesn't will take that long.

Cromfeli likes this.
  7. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Cromfeli likes this.
  8. ZoneOfTanks

ZoneOfTanks

Any estimations when it'll be integrated into Unity Core? I need this info please o_O

9. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Nothing firm at this time. If you have short term needs, I would suggest going with the current version of TextMesh Pro.

10. bdovaz

bdovaz

I have a question about all this.

What did happened here? Did you sold your package to Unity and you are not in charge of that? I mean you will no work on integration or future improvements or updates and it's up to Unity?

dadude123 likes this.
  11. Sikosis

Sikosis

How do you hook it up in the inspector ?

I've created my reference in code with:-

Public TextMeshPro mytext;

but then when I try to drag the object from my scene to the inspector, it won't allow it.

I also tried type TextMeshProUGUI with no joy. Any ideas ?

12. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Did you include the namespace for TextMesh Pro in your script?

Code (csharp):
    1. using TMPro;
    P.S. I am also at GDC this week so I'll be slower to reply to post but should be able to get back on top over the weekend.

13. Sikosis

Sikosis

Yep namespace included.

Also, no rush.

14. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I just tested the following script which works fine in terms of being able to drag / assign the various types of TMP text object into those fields.

Code (csharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using TMPro;
    6. public class ExampleScript : MonoBehaviour {
    8.     public TextMeshPro m_TMPComponent; // Normal TextMeshPro Component
    10.     public TextMeshProUGUI m_TMPUIComponent; // TextMeshProUGUI Component
    12.     public TMP_Text m_TextComponent; // Parent class which works with either TMP components
    13. }

Sikosis likes this.
  15. Zuicis

Zuicis

Hmm, congrats :)

ouch.png

Unity version in asset store - not full, because don't have all files/folders, difference between unity and dep versions:

x2.png

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  16. creat327

creat327

question, now that it's free and all that, I'm using the paid pro version but I can't get it to work on 5.6. Is the free version working on 5.6? because that would be bad that the paying customers are still stuck with the bug without been able to update to 5.6

17. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

The Free version on the Asset Store is in DLL form only and does not include source code. So if you have purchased TextMesh Pro, I would continue to use the paid version with source and keep visiting the TMP User Forum where I will still be providing support and updates.

Since the free version is in DLL form, previously created content and scenes are not compatible due to all GUID's changing in this process which is another huge reason to keep working with the version with source code.

Zuicis likes this.
  18. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Neither version work with Unity 5.6 at this time due to changes Unity made with the Transform handling which they are expecting to fix in the next Unity 5.6 beta or so. I believe it is fixed in Beta 11.

There are also changes requires with the Handles class as Unity made some API changes there as well. None of those items are hard to fix but the transform change is key.

I will be updating both version of TMP when these issues are fixed.

19. Jochanan

Jochanan

I have mixed feelings about that. I bought the asset three weeks ago, because i thought i would be able to solve a problem i had with a fonts. It had not, so i did not use it at all. I liked the asset, so i thought, that i might use it in the some future projects and now it is free. Now i am little bit sad about it.

ZoneOfTanks likes this.
  20. creat327

creat327

wow, so they give it out free to test with 5.6 and it doesn't work yet? :?
    They sure are taking forever to fix major reported issues on this beta. This was reported on b5 I believe.

Player7 and ZoneOfTanks like this.
  21. Brathnann

Brathnann

I have a scroll rect with two textmeshpro boxes. The second box is linked to the first box to catch overflow. I have various amounts of text that can go into the boxes, so it's also possible that the first box isn't going to have enough text to fill it, especially if people change font size to smaller.

So, the question is, how do I adjust the textmeshpro boxes to adjust for the text so I can have my scroll rect sized correctly? Original design I was splitting text manually, but I thought the linked text would be a better option since it will allow me to scan the entire text without having to move between boxes myself to try to figure out where certain bits of text should be.

So I need to be able to adjust the scroll rect content box to one text box if not enough text, or two text box while not creating a lot of dead space at the end for scrolling.

I tried content size fitter on the first box, but it just stuffed all the text into that box, which could hit the limit in some cases, especially since there will also be sprites in the text.

Appreciate any help that you can offer.

22. Sikosis

Sikosis

Thanks for that. TMP_Text worked.

23. Stevepunk

Stevepunk

Hi, still wondering if this is possible?
    Cheers.

24. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Just wanted you all to know that I am at GDC in San Francisco but will be returning tomorrow night at which point, I'll take the time to go through each of your posts to provide some feedback.

FYI: When I created the DLL's for the version on the Asset Store, I omitted to include one of the defines which makes it possible to handle the callbacks in the Editor like when changing a font asset as well as many other stuff happening in the Editor. As a result of this TMP will be misbehaving. I am hoping to have this fixed when I get back tomorrow or on Saturday. I'll update the Asset Store package then and if possible post the updated DLL here.

PedroGV likes this.
  25. PedroGV

PedroGV

Thanks @Stephan-B for letting us know. Cheers!

26. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Just got back from the show (GDC) and was able to rebuild the DLL's for Unity 5.3.4, Unity 5.4 and Unity 5.5 to address the missing define and miss behavior in the Editor. I will do some additional testing tomorrow and will them push those to the Asset Store later on.

If anyone wants to test those before I upload them, feel free to PM me.

PedroGV likes this.
  27. jarredbevis

jarredbevis

Hi, everything's broken. I saw that the paid version of text mesh pro has been deprecated, so I naturally "updated" to the one under the Unity banner on the asset store. First all the text mesh pro components broke, and I lost all my references. It took a while to fix but I eventually got there. Now I try recreate my font atlas's (because the old atlases where broken too), which seems to work, but when I drag the newly created font atlas into the font asset slot on the component it doesn't change the font (so I guess I'm stuck with Arial for now?) I feel a bit trapped at the moment, should I roll back to the paid version?

Fonts decided to work again randomly, not exactly sure why! Nevermind! :)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  28. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Yes. If you have the paid version absolutely keep using the paid version which includes Source Code.

As per my post above, there is also an issue with the DLL version where things are not updating correctly in the Editor. This is an issue specific to the DLL (non source code version) which I have now fixed and in the process of pushing to the Asset Store.

Please make sure you register to the TextMesh Pro user forum where you will have access to the private section of the forum where I will continue to release updated versions of TextMesh Pro with Source Code. Note that you will need to provide your invoice number as part of the registration process on the TMP user forum.

In terms of why did everything break? Since all the scripts that make up TextMesh Pro are now rolled into these DLLs, the GUID and fileID which identify these scripts which are referenced in your scenes, assets, etc. were all changed (which is unavoidable).

A utility script can be implemented to scan your project to go through and fix this stuff but given you have access to the paid version and source code, I strongly recommend you continue to use the version of TextMesh Pro with Source Code and get your updates from the TMP user forum. Having source code also means that I can easily share code changes to fix potential issues instead of having to roll out new releases all the time. It is much more practical in my opinion.

Over the past few years, the bulk of my users have been getting their updates from the TMP user forum as new releases were always available there first anyway and then depending on user feedback eventually made their way to the Asset Store, sometimes weeks or months later.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    hopeful likes this.
  29. HaileyHurt

HaileyHurt

Downloaded TextMesh Pro, running 5.5.0f3 on Mac (64 bit).

Every once and a while (as in at least 5 times a day) when I try to save project (save scene works fine) Unity will completely crash. Whenever I try to open the project again it will freeze at "importing small assets". The only way I can get my project to open is to delete textmeshpro and the meta file from my project to re-open.
    Previously I was able to re-import text mesh into my project and then work for a couple more hours until it crashes again. But now when I try to re-import it, as soon as the import is successful Unity immediately freezes, forcing me to shut it down.

I believe it may have something to do with the font asset creator. I will stick to the default fonts in text mesh for the next couple days and see if the issue no longer occurs

Is this happening to anyone else?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  30. dadude123

dadude123

I had some other problems but they were fixed with the newest version.
    No crashes here.
    What does the editor log file say?

31. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

This is due to a Unity bug related to Texture2D serialization which should be fixed soon. Please see the following thread for details and how to fix the resulting corrupted asset file.

Also make sure you update to the latest release of TMP which is available on the TextMesh Pro user forum for those who purchased the produce previously. I did make some changes in the latest release(s) which will reduce the likelihood of the corruption happening (again details in that thread).

32. diegoadrada

diegoadrada

Hi, I'm trying to create an Animation Curve to make a fade in effect for a TextMeshProUGUI component where the fade in time can be variable.

Based on Unity Doc (https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/AnimationClip.SetCurve.html) i can create the curve, but my doubt is about the property name of alpha in Color.

I.E. to create a scale property curve, i make this and works fine.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. newClip.SetCurve("", typeof(Transform), "localScale.x", curve);
    But for alpha in color of TextMeshProUGUI component, i don't know the property name, i already try this but it doesn't works:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. newClip.SetCurve("", typeof(TextMeshProUGUI), "Font Color.a", curve);
    Thanks for your help!

33. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Here is an alternative implementation which might prove to be more flexible for you.

http://digitalnativestudios.com/forum/index.php?topic=1182.0

34. dadude123

dadude123

Using the latest version from the asset store, I don't have a "duplicate material" menu point in the context menu.
    Was that removed? Its there in a youtube video. I just have "create material preset"

35. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Duplicate Material was replaced by "Create Material Preset" since that is more specific to what it actually does.

I also updated the video to add an annotation to this affect.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    dadude123 likes this.
  36. pateras

pateras

When I import TMP into a Unity 5.6.0b6 project, I get an error saying "An assembly with the same name `TextMeshPro' has already been imported.". I can't run unless I delete the TMP asset.

It did work the very first time that I imported it, created a TMP object, and ran, but when I started my project up again, I started getting that editor. I tried both restarting the editor, and re-importing TMP, to no avail.

Is there a workaround or a solution?

Thank you.

37. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

The current release of TMP is not compatible with Unity 5.6 as there are still outstanding issues in Unity 5.6 with the changes Unity made to the Transform, Handle class and other API changes.

In terms of the assembly error message, I need to look into it as a believe it is due to perhaps the previous version being installed. When installing TMP in a new project I don't get that error.

38. pateras

pateras

Thank you for the quick response. There was no previous version installed. This was a brand new project. I installed it, created a TMP object, and everything worked fine. The next day when I started the project up I started getting the error.

39. diegoadrada

diegoadrada

40. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I am about to board a flight but I'll look at the curve API on the flight and reply as soon as I can

diegoadrada likes this.
  41. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

I am about to board a flight but will look into it on the flight.

It is possible that unity change the dll editirvpanel / options again where one dll needs to be marked for editor and then the other as runtime (which is in the runtime folder)

I also saw a post on the beta forum about potential issues with dll in 5.6.

42. diegoadrada

diegoadrada

I already found the property name, is "m_fontColor.a", so with this I have already been able to create the animation curve for make fade in and fade out effects and works very well, thanks again Stephan for your help! :)

43. canek

canek

Is it possible to shear text to simulate perspective without rotating? Thanks!

44. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  45. ilmario

ilmario

@Stephan_B

Congratulations for becoming part of Unity! Definitely a good thing for everyone using Unity.

Though I could maybe have saved the money from buying it last year, I'm very pleased by the depth and quality t of it (especially performance vs quality) of TMP, truly one of the best things on the asset store!

In any case, I do wonder a bit about how TMP texts can be conveniently made to support HTTP links. I'm aware of this soon 2y old tutorial video of yours:
    / TextMesh Pro - Link Tag Support & Tracking

However, it seems awfully complex, non-intuitive and too time- and brain-consuming to use. I couldn't find mentions of HTTP links in the documentation.. so I have to ask, has there happened some progress in the last 2 year in this regard, or is there maybe going to be a simple and fast way of making HTTP links work in the future?

(NOTE: I dont care how the hover/onclick etc effects look like, just that it's easy to add links).

46. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

There is a new example included with TMP called - Text Interactions which uses a script with event handlers. This greatly simplifies handling of interactions and implementation of whatever you want to do with them.

Take a look at that example and let me know if you need further assistance on this.

47. ilmario

ilmario

Thanks. That example scene and included setup is helpful for learning about how to use events with TMP. It's still seemingly very complex, containing several classes and hundreds of lines of code.

All I want is an easy way to add this directly in the TMP Text box:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. <a href="http://mybestestsite.com">VISIT THE BESTEST SITE</a>

I would expect it to simply run this with onclick (no effects needed):
    Code (CSharp):
    1.  Application.OpenURL("http://myprettysite.com");
    Is there a shortcut to that effect? I'd imagine it to be a very popular feature.

48. doebertm

doebertm

I'm trying to run TextMesh Pro on Unity 5.5.0f3 (64bit). In Unity everything is fine. But when i try to build an app for Hololens, i'll get this error (in german):

Ausnahme ausgelöst: "System.IO.FileNotFoundException" in UnityEngine.dll
    Ausnahme ausgelöst: "System.TypeInitializationException" in WinRTBridge.winmd
    Der Thread 0xdc8 hat mit Code 0 (0x0) geendet.
    Ausnahme ausgelöst: "System.TypeInitializationException" in HoloApp.exe
    Die Aktivierung der Windows Store-App "HoloApp_pzq3xp76mxafg!App" ist mit Fehler "Die bei der Typinitialisierung aufgetretene Ausnahme kann nicht aufgefangen werden" fehlgeschlagen.
    Das Programm "[5856] HoloApp.exe" wurde mit Code 1 (0x1) beendet.

If i remove TextMesh Pro, everything works fine again... I'm using the free edition. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot!

49. pateras

pateras

Tried again with the latest version of the beta (5.6.0b11), and a brand new project. Same error: "An assembly with the same name `TextMeshPro' has already been imported.".

50. jlanisdev

jlanisdev

Quick question for Stephan. What's the runtime performance implication on mobile for using SDF 16 or SDF 32? For example if I had a large texture (2048) without SDF, compared to small texture (512) with SDF 32. I suppose the tradeoff here is RAM for performance, but I was just wondering how much of a difference it really makes, especially on mobile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.