Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[40% OFF] TerraTex - Automated terrain texturing tool, easily texture an entire terrain in minutes

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by JoePatrick, Aug 21, 2017.

1. JoePatrick

JoePatrick

40% off until 7th Dec
    Check it out on the Asset Store here for the most updated info

An automated script to texture Unity Terrains based on a wide range of configurable parameters.
    Includes rock, grass, sand and snow layers with the option to use as many textures as you like for each.
    Customisation options include, though are not limited to: sea level, snow altitude, cliff steepness, texture perlin configuring.
    With this you can create virtually any terrain you want in just a couple of minutes - whether it's grassy, rocky mountains, dessert, volcanic, glacier etc.

The texture can be generated from a button click in the editor, or can be generated at run time

Here is an example of what can be done, all of these terrains were made with the exact same textures and each can be made in no time at all.

This video here shows the process from empty scene to textured terrain, the video is in realtime

Check out the documentation for more info

Get it from the Asset Store here

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  2. HenryChinaski

HenryChinaski

Hello,
    I bought the asset mainly because of the noise feature on each layer.
    Sadly it doesn't work for me at all. I hope that I am missing something?

This doesn't look good since the noise is scaled too small. I want areas with stones and areas without stones, not all areas sprinkled with them. So I increased the noise scale to 10.

But it doesn't really look different regarding the distribution of stones. I even increased the noise scale to 100 but it looks exactly the same, regarding the stone distribution. I also decreased the bias of the texture of the stones, but all it does is fading the existing stones out.

PS: It would be nice to have the possibility to add a second cliff layer. For example, if you want to have cliffs at steep places and rubble at their bottom. This doesn't seem to be possible at the moment.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  3. JoePatrick

JoePatrick

Hi
    Thanks for getting in touch.
    This does appear to be not working as intended so I will do my best to help you resolve this issue.
    Could you please save your object with the terratex script as well as the terrain as a prefab and export it and send it to me so I can take a proper look.
    As for your other request, in a future release that should be coming out soon I have added a few new options including the ability to set height limits to individual textures which should allow you to get the effect you are aiming for.

Thanks
    Joe

4. HenryChinaski

HenryChinaski

Thanks for the quick reply. Sent you a mail.

5. HenryChinaski

HenryChinaski

The author was very helpful and we managed to fix the problem. Everything is working fine.
    I am not sure what it specifically was in the end but users should check the bank height value if they don't use water and set it to 0. Users also should set the bottom layer of their base textures to fixed and only the upper layers to perlin. The results are actually pretty good!
    The only thing really missing right now is the option to set different heights and angles for the cliff layers, but the author already said above that he is working on it.

6. JoePatrick

JoePatrick

Here's a little preview for you guys of the next update :D

7. JoePatrick

JoePatrick

Update submitted for review, hopefully available in the next week :D

Also, here's another new feature included

8. JoePatrick

JoePatrick

Just a heads up, this asset is 40% off until 7th Dec!