Search Unity

[TerrainEngine] Voxel Terrain : Smooth,Cubic,2D,Hexagonal Infinite Procedural Terrain

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dyox, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Reiika

Reiika

@F3RULLO14 I honestly do not know, I would imagine it would be able to, you would have to ask that yourself on the forums

2. dyox

dyox

Hi, yes i will provide a new demo in january.

Everyone can follow TerrainEngine Progress on Trello :
    https://trello.com/b/KN6UKYhH

Some updates and screens :
    -New CavesProcessor, more realistic and fastest
    -New MineralProcessor, allow to add minerals underground.
    -New Grass/Details LOD system
    -New PostProcess system and normal on the heightmap. Fluid Erosion + Thermal Erosion
    -New Custom UV system for Grass
    -New Flower type of grass
    -New normal options for : Terrain GroundType,Grass,Details,Trees.Allow
    -Cubic Terrain : new option : 4 vertices or 5 vertices per faces.Increase a lot the fps
    -New Cell System for GameObjects LOD. Better memory management and garbage collector.
    -And more

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    Tethys, Rombie and ikemen_blueD like this.
  3. dyox

dyox

Also, i'm working on a new demo scene, that will look like this : (fully procedural and infinite)
    ZeroDawn.png

I'm working on a procedural climbing plant system, that will follow cliffs and look like on this screen. Depending of the terrain normal.It will also work on caves and on fluid surface. Working with Terrain LOD.
    Plants will be able to connect 2 Mountains/Cliffs like on the screen, users will be able to set multiple textures and select on each texture uv to use a random variation on leaves and roots
    It will generate path and mesh proceduraly, and generated on all threads.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  4. zelgo

zelgo

is this the engine no man's sky used?

5. neoshaman

neoshaman

I don't think so

6. killer1171090

killer1171090

No it is not.

I purchased TE when it was on sale, just wondering if there is any news on the universe generator? I cant make any progress on my game without it.

7. Fenris2

Fenris2

@killer

From the Slack channel I think some progress was made, but that there were other things that came up. Dyox and Junglee can speak more to that point, but my impression was later this coming (2017) year. I wold drop a Q in slack chat if you want a faster/accurate official answer.

8. dyox

dyox

Hello. No sorry.
    Universe and planets systems will come middle-end 2017.
    I'm working on TE optimizations to push draw distance as far as possible.
    The first step will be the universe and the procedural planet system.
    Second a transition when you go close to the planet with a fade system between voxel terrain and planet.
    And the last system will be a real move to a planet without any transition.
    It will increase a lot the complexity of the global engine, specially for the multiple camera rendering system, the new positioning. So the universe/planet part will be for advanced users.
    Colliders,rendering,particles,IA etc will need to be calculateducated in a different way, and need advanced programming skills for anyone who want create game with this type of engine.

Also on the roadmap. The engine is starting to be ported on cryengine 5. I will post some info and updates later. If anyone is interested, you can contact me by pm.

recon0303, ikemen_blueD and Tethys like this.
  9. killer1171090

killer1171090

Actually, I did send multiple messages there, got no response to all of them

Alright thank you.

10. recon0303

recon0303

nice, our company uses Unreal and Cry Engine, so glad to hear this...I do have terrain engine. Glad I bought it.

11. Ascensi

Ascensi

I might be interested in this if it has support for 4 or more Distance based Tessellated PBS textures with control over brightness and saturation, AO & specular textures. I'm using the RDT pack (real displacement textures) -they are photorealistic scanned textures so I need a Voxel based system that can add tessellation of more than 4 textures on the terrain surface.

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

where to download or buy? pls.:)

13. Fenris2

Fenris2

14. dyox

dyox

Some news about the new demo scene :
    -New Climbing Plants system (Working with Batching and LOD)
    -New Batching system, fastest and allow an infinite number of objects and manage batches with more than 65k vertices
    -New Organization for Grass/Details/Lod/Chunks, now use Unity GameObject system, allow users to select grass/details/lod in editor.
    -TerrainEngine updated to Unity 5.5. (Some shaders need to be fixed, here the skybox appear too brightest around tree LOD planes)
    Horizon55 2017-01-11 06-42-57-58.jpg Horizon55 2017-01-11 06-41-00-88.jpg Horizon55 2017-01-11 06-55-30-27.jpg Horizon55 2017-01-11 06-58-43-10.jpg Horizon55 2017-01-11 06-37-45-39.jpg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    Rombie, Fenris2 and Tethys like this.
  15. dyox

dyox

Horizon55 2017-01-11 07-36-24-77.jpg Horizon55 2017-01-11 07-35-15-31.jpg Horizon55 2017-01-11 06-37-45-39.jpg

16. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Excellent, just looking at the screenshots makes me want to go climbing around there.
    Dyox, maybe I missed it, but I was curious about documentation and some details on the website for TerrainEngine. Is there documentation available on things such as the voxel texture limitions (how many textures, etc), vegetation (how many different types of vegetation, trees, etc), and also on distant terrain support? LOD terrain, etc?

17. dyox

dyox

Hi. The doc is available for junglee team users. I don't manage the website,so I can't say.
    Limit is 255 différents materials (voxel type).
    Unlimited number of grass,details,trees.
    Terrain,grass,details,trees,water,colliders use an octree based lod system.

I've made a small video of the new demo scene. Sorry for the brightness and blur, thank YouTube.

18. dyox

dyox

I will copy my post, from another thread, just to inform users of my current dev and research :

Current Work:
    -Working with multithreading and how to manage/dispatch actions over all processors without killing the main thread (Record the Render Time, the update time of all scripts, evaluate all possible unity work related to last actions (colliders,GC,GameObject.Instanciate,Destroy, etc..) and allow X ms to the current frame to call functions. All functions call time are stored and evaluated for another call and use a priority queue)

-Dynamic multi-threaded batching for plants/grass/trees. With fading, and multiple LOD level generated procedurally.( Screenshot from all directions, using custom shader, LOD textures saved and loaded when needed, with realtime fading of current gameobject using : Cutout,Alpha,or any custom shader property)

-I've worked on a fastest way to generate procedural terrain with fluids and coherent objects placement ( I'm using a random seeded system (fastest than UnityEngine.Random or System.Random, and linked to a coherent noise algo)) (Specialy for grass/details, who scale depend of around number of similar object, and ground type)

-Algorithm to select where and why place any object at given X/Y/Z position (because it's not only an heightmap but a 3D world). (Checking heightmap + Current Terrain Voxel data, checking if under fluid, on fluid surface or ground in contact with air,etc...)

-I had to rewrite most of systems to avoid using classes and replace them by struct. (Specially for the mainstream Chunk Management, using Algo based on position, returning all data needed for a X/Y/Z chunk. The complete Terrain is divided into block, divided into chunk, but no classes are used (Only for the server that use TerrainBlockServer class for manage players and players visible objects))

-A lot of test/rework to optimize the Garbage collector ( Max array size for minimal GC impact, how to correctly pool objects, etc)

-A lot of micro optimizations and benchmark (List, Constructors (struct or class), Pooling, Unity Colliders, etc) All functions was benchmarked and tested.
    (Reuse all struct, never use List or any C# collection, rewrite everything yourself, it will give you a direct access to the array, never use foreach, and only for(i=objects.count-1;i>=0;--i) it's a basic but when used on a loop = 1024*1024*1024 * 8000, it change everything, and so more ;D)

-All systems was made using Interface or abstract class to use addons and any third party assets. Specialy the network system, that is working with all network assets (Unet,Photon,Forge,etc...)

-A Scripting GameObject system that allow, send/receive message when any gameobject state change

-A network system that allow : Host a game, Play Solo, Host a dedicated server without unity systems (colliders,Monobehavior,etc..) and a Dedicated server that emulate an unity game using colliders (GameObjects,terrain,spells, all players around grass/details/trees/IA etc..))

Current Work :
    -New realtime fluids with surface waves on impact (with physics and particles(leaf,rocks,spells,etc)). I will use an octree, using only struct shared between all terrain parts, using BitArray to store node state. Fluids flow will use a cellular automata algo, with multiple optimizations (First : How to get fluid state on each voxel, second how to look over a voxel cube), and for finish manage how to draw mesh depending of the current terrain LOD state.

-Realtime multi-threaded Terrain Editor, working in tandem with the Procedural GUI Editor.Already in alpha state, i don"t know why, but generating a terrain inside editor is 2X faster than generating terrain in play mode, a lot of system has been rewrited to add ExecuteInEditor :D

-Space Engine, with new coordinate system, using double, and multiple camera rendering.
    I learned a lot about Unity engine and its operation, a lot of technical limitation.
    Horizon55 2017-01-12 05-30-02-80.jpg Horizon552 2017-01-12 08-08-21-02.jpg

recon0303 and Tethys like this.
  19. Tethys

Tethys

Amazing updates, we are loving how well Terrain Engine is running right now and are very excited for the new fluid system and other awesome improvements outlined on the above roadmap. Good stuff, thanks for being so dedicated to this wonderful technology Dyox!

recon0303 and dyox like this.
  20. dyox

dyox

Thank you Tethys.

TerrainEngine is now compatible with MegaSplat asset.
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/76166
    tessellation_small.png
    -255 Textures per material (With tessellation)
    -255 Materials max ( 65 000 textures now allowed on the terrain)

New Palette Editor (select one texture per VoxelType, and later it will be possible to select a texture cluster that will use multiple textures with noise for one voxel)
    MarchingPalette.jpg

HorizonSplat 2017-01-18 09-10-21-14.jpg
    HorizonSplat 2017-01-18 09-11-24-03.jpg

neoshaman, recon0303 and Tethys like this.
  21. recon0303

recon0303

Thanks, Glad to know, I have mega splats and love it..Thanks guys.. Also for those that bought Terrain Engine, when the Cry 5 version comes out . Do we need to buy this again for Cry?? Or will we get it as well for both? Would love to know as our company uses , Unreal , Unity and Cry Engine, Thanks. Keep up the good work.!! Liking it so far.

( I own Terrain Engine) Bought it Day 1,)

22. recon0303

recon0303

question, for those like myself, bought TE, during the first week, we where suppose to get free kits ...Not sure where to get them or if they are even out yet.. Would like to know. Thanks.

23. Fenris2

Fenris2

They are not out yet.

24. dyox

dyox

MegaSplat :
    -New Cluster system. Unlimited texture per material. Using noise.

Cluster.jpg

recon0303, neoshaman and Tethys like this.
  25. dyox

dyox

I'm sorry to announce that i'm not working with TerrainEngine.io (Junglee Team) anymore.
    All users that bought TE here : http://TerrainEngine.io will not receive future updates.
    The initial agreement was that their teams provide support and documentation for the community.
    The website : TerrainEngine.io after a year, is still using copyrighted Images and non TE screens.

After a year, no effort has been provided by their team, and I am now under pressure to : Ensure myself the support and documentation, either Junglee Team threatens me to share the code source of TerrainEngine.

So I made the decision to stop any collaboration with 'Junglee Team'.
    Not having access to the list of buyers or even information allowing me to help people asking for a refund, I can not do anything now to provide updates.

So I suggest you get closer to 'Junglee team' to request a refund or arrangement.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  26. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

OMG thats F***ed up. For SUCH a highprice asset ... DUDE .... WTF

ElroyUnity, MarkusGod and dyox like this.
  27. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Please provide full name disclosure of the "team" I will take legal action against them. Their website gives S*** information. No name, no mail adress. Its quite illegal selling stuff without having a mail adress or company name to sue.

Tethys, recon0303 and dyox like this.
  28. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Nice, they even use a domain proxy to hide name and address... smell like scam.
    Registrant Name: Registration Private
    Registrant Organization: Domains By Proxy, LLC
    Registrant Street: DomainsByProxy.com
    Registrant Street: 14455 N. Hayden Road
    Registrant City: Scottsdale
    Registrant State/Province: AZ
    Registrant Postal Code: 85260
    Registrant Country: US
    Registrant Phone: +1.4806242599
    Registrant Phone Ext:
    Registrant Fax: +1.4806242598

Tethys likes this.
  29. dyox

dyox

Hi yes.I'm sorry.
    I am as saddened as everyone else. I ask you to leave this thread correct and not to go into interposed war.
    I'm caught off guard and I think every TerrainEngine users should contact their team and find an arrangement.

All current buyers can contact me at fastmarchingcubes@gmail.com to find a solution to this situation.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2017
  30. UltraTM

UltraTM

Could we buy it directly from you as an new customer or will TerrainEngine die now? :(
    I wanted to buy it this weekend

dyox likes this.
  31. dyox

dyox

Yes. I'm working on a solution. I will post the progress here.

recon0303, Tethys and UltraTM like this.
  32. UltraTM

UltraTM

I hope we can also buy the closed source again. Would like to start with that :)

dyox likes this.
  33. recon0303

recon0303

what the HECK..... we are mid development. I wont buy anymore ASSETS like this again...Reason we where going to spend the time, to make it our selves.....This is total nonsense...

Rombie, dyox and ElroyUnity like this.
  34. dyox

dyox

Yes. I'm so sorry. It do not depend of me. Ask a refound to Joseph cooper. Find an arrangement.
    I'm working on my side to provide a solution to junglee team customers and provide a low price voxel system to all future users.
    I will keep everyone informed.

neoshaman likes this.
  35. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

So sorry to hear this. It seems like you have put so much effort into this product, hopefully you and the customers of TerrainEngine will find a mutually beneficial solution. Best of luck!

36. Hurtful-Toad

Hurtful-Toad

Yes, I'm one of those customers and I have never once asked for my money back. And I still don't want it back, nor do I believe that they would pay it back anyway. I bought in because I believed in the wonderful things that could be created with this software. So I hope that you will carry on with your vision and somehow allow us to participate in it's success.

37. whatbus2000

whatbus2000

I have to admit it all sounds a bit odd. I hope Dyox and the Junglee team figure out a resolution that makes them both happy. On slack "Disturbing" wrote that they would be releasing more info on February 1st but it sounds like they intend to continue to release TerrainEngine.

recon0303 likes this.
  38. recon0303

recon0303

Nm, sounds like they are sorting this out.... hopefully///

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    elias_t likes this.
  39. Tethys

Tethys

Junglee and Disturbington can't be trusted IMO. We figured out Terrain Engine 2 years ago when it didnt have the great interfaces it has now, nor did it have half the functionality and content. We are working on our 3rd project with Terrain Engine, have brought multiple developers on board that had no issues with using the software and technology. You guys may have heard of iCode, RPG Kit - super popular Asset by a great developer here named Janson(Zerano). He has also worked on Terrain Engine on our team and while it took him a few days to learn it, he has extended it, added Photon support and all sorts of stuff with no issues. Distrubington and Junglee haven't a clue and they seem to be a company of scammers trying to make a dollar off of Dyox's great efforts, if using NO Mans Sky and Skyrim screenshots on their website is any indication (they haven't a clue about legality and can't seem to even figure out a few interfaces to generate some terrain for a few screenshots lol). DYOX has created an AMAZING product and those guys can't figure their way out of a paper bag, let alone provide support and extend Terrain Engine. Anywho, as a customer of Dyox just wanted to say SAD to see him get mixed up and screwed over by Junglee and Distrubington - all I can say is avoid these developers, they scam, they haven't a clue and are rude and using shady techniques to try and get what they want. I spoke out against them in the original thread and have continued to do so because I think the "team" and Distrubington are a joke, but that's just how I see it. When your "company" is trying to sell software using screenshots from someone else's software, you know something is rotten in Denmark.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    siblingrivalry, recon0303 and dyox like this.
  40. dyox

dyox

Thank you tethys.
    I want to clarify also, I'm still working on TE and I will continue to add features.

I'm actually working on 20+ tutorial video that will be available on YouTube.
    Each video will contains in description the link to download the scene file.

I will also provide all links of packages used from assets store for tutorials.

Also a new feature is in test for v11 :
    -In editor infinite/finite terrain generation and modification. Fully multithreaded and working with all addons like grass,trees,details,ConstructionKit etc..

41. neoshaman

neoshaman

I was already to spend 2k of the original price on the original engine once I get there, I have been doing crappy unoptimized (and I really don't want to dig deep into this) prototype on my own to be sure of my design as it is a big investement, but following this thread for while the engine always seems solid and people pleased with it. I'm only waiting the planetary system now :p

42. dyox

dyox

Thank you neoshaman :). I'm working actively on the Procedural Galaxy generator. Asteroids, Planets, Stars, etc... Infinite in all direction. It will come end 2016. (Fully Editable In Editor, Procedural + Hand Made systems)
    Some Screenshots using MegaSplat asset with the new TerrainEngine update :
    -MegaSplat cluster + new Tessellation
    -HeightMap window editor optimized
    -New complete GUI and optimization
    -Optimized TerrainEngine Reflection
    -Memory+LoadTime optimization
    -Caves + Minerals + RealTime Fluid WIP system for large scale terrain
    -Realtime fluid flow use an LOD system now, seamless and with differrent LOD level settings
    -Voxel Size 0.25m3
    Desktop 01.28.2017 - 22.23.58.02.jpg Desktop 01.28.2017 - 22.25.15.03.jpg Desktop 01.28.2017 - 22.26.11.05.jpg Desktop 01.28.2017 - 22.27.13.06.jpg Desktop 01.28.2017 - 22.28.26.07.jpg

Some Screens are coming soon about the new V11 In Editor terrain modification and voxel objects.

43. Blender007

Blender007

When TE will be available in final version?

44. recon0303

recon0303

ya sadly our company, spent money, with this person, and we are disgusted with this, I bought as I seen some of you guys releasing games, and some of you I trust your opinions, not blaming any of you of course.....

But some of us feel we ...got scammed out of thousands, and some hundreds.. That don't sit well with me or anyone else that spent thousands..... I won't be buying from either of them regardless now... as NOW i HAVE to pay my investor back, if he don't get his funds back now... so thats food off my kids table.... NOT happy with anyone right now.. that is involved.

Glad Tethy you are doing well, that is good to hear I know you bought it long ago, and you got me interested back then, so sad for all of this to happen at all....So disgusted right now with the whole mess..... Not only did it cost us money but now we have to replace it, thank fully we didn't get to far in our development as its our new game..

We had plans to spend the money and time to make our own.. WHICH we are going to do in the near future.

I wish everyone luck here, but I won't be dealing with anyone.. after the mess I had to deal with, and I had many people bitching me out for suggestion this to our company for our new game, wasted time and money..
    At the end of the day it's not fair or cool and very unprofessional what happen to to many people here, as some of us are in development, and again, and money don't grow on trees..... What should happen, and by the sounds of it, most everyone should be refunded, that want refunded.. at the end of the day...

I hope everyone gets what they paid for, or there money back after this mess... From who ever fault it is and I don't care.. I care about the money spent:)....

/cheers.

PS: Tethy, I hope all is well with your game) I try to check it on Steam from time to time.

@dyox looks great. Wish I would of bought it from you, before..

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    Rombie and Tethys like this.
  45. Blender007

Blender007

Junglee Team sells TE open source for 200$!?
    But who will make the updates?
    They are not serious!?

46. Tethys

Tethys

It sounds like they are selling the source code illegally - there isn't an "open source" version of Terrain Engine (which doesn't even make sense in the same sentence, open source and $200, open source is free). Anyone who buys it from them, from what I understand, is going to be putting themselves up for a possible lawsuit. They aren't compensating the original developer (per the original post) and haven't done anything original to the engine - so technically they are stealing Terrain Engine and re-selling it without the developer permission(if they've broke contract). Stay away from Junglee unless you want to risk legal troubles. They were reported to Hello games last week for copyright infringement since they were selling Terrain Engine off of their website using images of No Mans Sky lol. These guys are going to continue to be a ball of trouble and shadyness, again, just look at the fact that they registered their web domain through proxy. Real business's hardly do this (we have a web development company of 14 years, we know). If it seems too good to be true, its probably because it is.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  47. recon0303

recon0303

where are you getting this?? I have not seen this anywhere...last I heard, Jungle is refunding people. or a few other options..

48. whatbus2000

whatbus2000

There is a lot going on here that only Dyox and the Junglee team are aware of. There would have been a contract between them and one or both of them feel the other has not held their end of the deal up. What ever happened and what ever the contract states will determines what happens. Both sides obviously think the other side is in the wrong. Dyox has this forum to make statements and the Junglee team are making statements on Slack. I will admit that the website Terrainengine.io seems to be poorly run but without any insight we are all guessing. I hope Dyox has success as it is his work (even though this means I lose my closed source access).

Tethys likes this.
  49. Tethys

Tethys

It is Junglee's Slack channel, take whats going on there with a grain of salt. Their "staff" was hired after the pre-orders were taken (per their own words) so they are probably just as clueless. Take for example the fact that they are complaining about Terrain Engine as if it's unusable, meanwhile there are now at least 3 STEAM GAMES using it and at least one very large RPG that is off Steam that is using TE. Terrain Engine is a powerful Unity addon but you have to take time to learn it. My developers have been able to pick it up in a week or two. The Realm Source guys added Networking to Terrain Engine and servers long before Dyox added it so there are also plenty of developers out there extending it without issue. Not sure what Junglee's valid excuse is. We just started a new VR project using the Vive and Terrain Engine and its working perfect. I don't like to hear that people are throwing the engine under the bus or complaining about not being able to do something with it or to pretend like it is unusable just because they cannot figure it out - there is so much you can do with the engine and so many helpers scripts and extra stuff Dyox provides but it is important to have developers on board that are capable.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    dyox likes this.
  50. dyox

dyox

Tethys is right.
    Junglee Team has actually no one working on terrain engine since months.

I wanted to share with everyone the new TerrainManager GUI, it will come with the next update and will be used for future tutorial video.
    NewManager.jpg

This new system will manage all Addons and set up.
    An easy interface to switch between Single,Multiplayer,Dedicated server with colliders, Dedicated server without colliders.

All systems will have a default set up and will works without any modification (ConstructionKit,Network,VoxelPhysics,Realtime fluids,etc)

Tutorial videos will be available this week on youtube.
    A closed source is coming, at lower price and divided by addons to reduce the price of the core engine.

Fenris2, Razmot, Rombie and 1 other person like this.