Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrain Former - The Best Manual Terrain Sculpting Tools for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AquaGeneral, Jul 27, 2014.

1. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

Terrain Former (both the full and lite versions) are terrain sculpting tools for Unity. I started working on Terrain Former when I realised how frustrating Unity's built-in terrain tools were. The issues that I noticed while using Unity's terrain editor were:
    • The maximum brush size is usually not even large enough for the terrain you are trying to sculpt.
    • The smoothing tool barely has an effect.
    • Terrain tools only have an effect when the mouse is being dragged (holding the mouse down alone does nothing).
    • The point of the terrain that is edited is based around where ever the mouse is hovering over (using a raycast). This means that bumps in the terrain occlude the mouse, so you are forced to work from a top down perspective to sculpt a mass of the terrain.
    • Brushes are built-in only and you can cannot add your own
    Terrain Former fixes all of the above mentioned problems.

Please note that tree/detail/grass tools are planned, but are not yet present. You can however easily and rapidly switch to and from Unity's terrain editor and Terrain Former.

big.png

Features (see all features on the official website)
    • Fixes the following problems in Unity; max brush size, limited smoothing ability, sculpting only active when dragging, and raycast-only based sculpting coordinate system
    • Mould - sculpt terrain around any arbitrary 3D physics colliders (boxes, meshes, spheres, etc)
    • Raise/Lower
    • Smooth
    • Set Height
    • Flatten (with three sub-modes: flatten, extend and bridge)
    • Interactive Tools - interactive versions of Raise/Lower, Smooth, Flatten and Set Height
    • Customisable keyboard shortcuts
    • Random offset, rotation and spacing
    • Texture painting
    • Multi-terrain editing - with a tool for generating terrain grids.
    • Procedural brush that is generated via a falloff curve
    • Generate tools that can generate a linear terrain ramp or a circular terrain ramp based off a falloff curve.
    • A utility to duplicate the terrain (located in Assets > Duplicate Terrain), allowing you to start on a new terrain with existing textures, tree and other fields carried over.
    • A clean and thoughtful interface. I put a great deal of care into the user interface, ensuring that it's powerful, simple, intuitive and blends in with the rest of Unity.
    • Continually evolving - plenty of new features will be added in future releases. Planned features include some simple primitive terrain generation (generating terrain based on noise), texture and vegetation painting.
    Terrain Former vs. Terrain Former Lite:
    TFLite.png

Purchasing Terrain Former and Terrrain Former Lite today guarantees you to all future versions for free.

Terrain Former Website

Buy Terrain Former (on the Unity Asset Store)
    Buy Terrain Former Lite (on the Unity Asset Store)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. Teila

Teila

I like this and can definitely see it being worth the price when it is all complete. I will keep watching. Thank you.

3. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

It seems from screen #3 it may be showing a ramp elevation effect?
    It is difficult with the Unity terrain to create slopes.
    I have a 12000 x 12000 unit terrain, can I expect to sculpt smoothly and efficiently?
    It's very difficult using Unity Terrain tools to get much reaction when painting at a distance, have to be relatively close.

4. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

That's actually just the result of smoothing. I made quite a few bumps, and smoothed them together. It's possible to make ramps/slopes using a combination of the Flatten tool's "Extend" mode and smoothing. This is obviously no ideal - I'll need to add a ramp/gradient/slope tool as a planned feature.

I've just tested terrain sculpting at 12000x12000. It works very smoothly, even while painting all the terrain at once. There is no performance degradation based on terrain size, but heightmap resolution and detail resolution will pull performance down. At double the heightmap and detail resolution (1025 and 2048 respectively), performance only drops while sculpting a large mass of terrain at once. For example, painting 2700 units of the 12000 runs smoothly, even at double the resolution.

5. Jesse_Pixelsmith

Jesse_Pixelsmith

I'm keeping an eye on this, a lot of terrain tools out there, but few actually help with the details of manual sculpting. I started out in the game industry sculpting terrain in CryEngine, and that's one of the things that I still miss compared to Unity equivalent.

That said, what is the roadmap for updates?

6. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

I'm actually going to be using and developing Terrain Former in conjunction with a game I'm working on. It is essential for the game that I can sculpt terrain the same way (if not easier) than how it's done in CryEngine.

I've sent out v1.1 of Terrain Former (still pending submission), it contains UI improvements and support for custom brushes based on textures. The next thing I will be focusing on will actually be manual sculpting. It coincides what I will be using Terrain Former for, and quite nicely everyone interested including yourself generally just wants a good sculptor.

I will probably post a more concrete roadmap on the Terrain Former site in the future, but for now this is generally what I'm thinking of:
    v1.11 - A potential minor update including any bugs that might arise
    v1.5 - A major release with a focus on sculpting. This might take in excess of 2 to 3 months to be released.
    v1.6 - A moderately sized update including an interactive path/track tool.

I will have to research and understand myself what exactly is lacking in the current version of Terrain Former in regards to manual sculpting (I know there must be a lot though). Let me know if you have any ideas or if you can share your ideal sculpting workflow!

7. Jesse_Pixelsmith

Jesse_Pixelsmith

Awesome thanks for the reply - I'll make a more thorough post tomorrow, but a couple of notes from just using it for a bit here.

Interactive modes are pretty cool! set height one you should lock the brush onto the place that's locked for editing. Currently since you have to move your mouse, the brush moves with it, doesn't affect anything but just visually looks weird.

So custom brushes, great :) Need a little noise etc that should solve that.

Generally a couple things I thought of to make things easier -
    -This is a Unity thing but not sure if you can override but pressing Shift W makes the Unity terrain want to go into native paint -height mode. This is annoying because I'm constantly zooming around with WASD plus right click and shift boosts the speed, serious oversight on unity's part, but I wonder if I can edit that?
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/terrain-UsingTerrains.html

-Quick/hotkeys to cycle between different modes.
    -A quick and intuitive way to edit the brush size - control + mousewheel would be awesome, but again unity's default camera zooms out when you use the mouse wheel, not sure if you can override
    -Also a quick way to change the brush speed in a similar way, and maybe some kind of indicator to show the actual brush speed

Also, this one's not directly related to the product per se, but I'm wondering if you have any insights into a workflow with an external heightmap generator, like World Machine. I just got World Machine, I like it, it's great for macro scale terrain that looks good at a distance. I currently am using it for the mountain "borders" around my open-world sandbox game. But in general it makes pretty S***ty playable terrain, either way too big/bland or so noisy that AI will have a hard time pathing around. I'm sure I'll get better with it but certain things I'm definately going to want to "hand edit" with a tool like this.

So the problem comes in when, what happens if I want to update the World Machine heightmap, (say tweak the erosion a bit) after I've done a lot of manual sculpting. Basically it's just one heightmap, so you lose it. I'm not sure if there's an easy answer to this question, maybe have to use a different terrain entirely, or maybe there's some other way, to "save" my manual sculpt data.

I've been looking into some things in terrain composer for this...I guess if I'm able to export my heightmap from Unity after sculpting manually, I can compare that from the World Machine original heightmap, and subtract it somehow and I'd have my changes. Then I could additively apply those changes with Terrain Composer or something afterwords, would be a pain but might work. Sorry thinking out loud here :)
    Let me know if you have any insight :)

8. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

I see what you mean. I might release a quick patch in the next week or so to fix that (and any other issues that might arise).

I was just about to test if I could programatically block that shortcut, but luckily you can actually disable it within Unity. Just go (on Windows at least) Edit > Preferences > Keys and change the Set Height key to something you would never use like F8 or something. It's strange how Unity don't allow you to disable short cuts outright.

That could make it into the v1.11 patch as well ;)

Terrain Former actually allows you to modify the brush size using the square brackets "[" and "]". I'm thinking a larger scope task would be to allow users to customize these shortcuts themselves if they want to.

I've created a reminder for myself to make a shortcut for modifying brush speed. Maybe Ctrl+Mouse Wheel would make a lot of sense for that as well? May I ask what you mean about "some kind of indicator to show the actual brush speed"? Would you like the brush speed to also be displayed in the scene view?

I don't have any experience with external heightmap generators/editors, but I'd be glad to assist and ease everyone's workflow going from Terrain Former to an external tool and vice-versa.

You can export terrain (including terrain edited in Terrain Former) using Unity's Terrain Import/Exporter. You can find it in the Unity Terrain Component > Settings > Export/Import Raw buttons at the bottom. I personally had nothing but trouble with that before, but it seems like I was one of the rare few who couldn't get it working properly (the terrain would always be bumpy after importing a ".raw" heightmap). That alone is part of what prompted me to create Terrain Former. Let me know if it works for you.

I may end up creating importing and exporting functionality in Terrain Former itself if I see others having trouble with Unity's ".raw" import/exporter.

So that would be World Machine > Terrain Former > World Machine > Unity > Terrain Composer if I understand correctly? Seems like quite a process! Let me know how that goes and if there's anything I can do in the Terrain Former side to help.

9. Jesse_Pixelsmith

Jesse_Pixelsmith

Hey thanks for the responses! Very helpful.

As for what I mean about the brush speed indicator, was thinking something like a radial texture as an inset to the current projected ring you have, like this:

However, that's very much a cosmetic "cherry on top" feature, so if that takes a lot of time probably not worth it at the moment.

As for exporting .raw, actually Terrain Composer has that functionality and it seems to work as advertised. I also realized that I can actually update heightmaps via Terrain Composer with a mask - so I could paint that mask down in Photoshop to only cover the "non-playable" spaces which I want to look fancy from World Machine. and hopefully upon importing that it will update the relevant spaces while leaving my manually sculpted stuff alone. I'll probably have to smooth around the edges, but it shouldn't be a common occurrence, maybe something I need to do a couple times between prototyping and release (I don't want to wait to get started on my manual spaces until I master World Machine). Anyways that part I guess wouldn't have anything to do with Terrain Former :)
    ___

However, I have a feature that I think would really help me and others, and I haven't seen it before anywhere on the asset store (or really actually anywhere). It's a bit non-standard and possibly involved so I did some rough prototyping of it. I've sent you a PM with the details/brief video.

10. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

@JesseAlexander - Excellent idea! It definitely is not so important right now, but I'd say you could expect to see it in the next few months.

I'm having a look at my PMs now.

BTW, Terrain Former v1.1 is out! Here are the release notes:
    Additions

• Custom brushes - use your own brush images by adding them to TerrainFormer\Textures\Brushes.
    • Sample Height - in Set Height mode, hold Alt+LMB to sample the height of the terrain being hovered over. This will update the “height” parameter of Set Height.
    • Terrain Ramp - generate terrain based on a curve.
    Improvements
    • Smooth operates now approximately 30% faster.
    • Raise/Lower now roughly 10% faster.
    • Current height readout can now be hidden in Settings.
    • Cleaner interface with icons used for the toolbar.
    Fixes
    • Fixed OutOfMemory exception when loading a terrain with a different size than the last terrain used in Terrain Former.
    • Fixed how internal dependencies are found.
    • Fixed keyboard shortcuts requiring Scene View focus.
    • Brush colour is now saved.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  11. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

Version 1.2 is out now! It contains a few new features, improvements and a number of bug fixes. Quite a few things have changed under the hood, you may notice a slight boost in performance across all tools as a result.
    Features

• Brush speed can be changed by minus (-) and equals (=) keys.
    • Keyboard shortcuts for modes (Z, X, C, V, B, N).
    • Ability to switch tool mode icons to text.
    • Interactive Flattening and Smoothing.
    Improvements
    • Tweaked tool icons.
    • Improved the third built-in brush texture.
    • Various minor optimizations to all terrain tools.
    Fixes
    • Fixed saved brush colour not being loaded correctly.
    • Fixed incorrect tooltip punctuation/grammar.
    • Fixed an issue where keyboard shortcuts could be captured when keyboard focus was on text fields.
    • Fixed an issue where non-readable custom brush textures would cause a crash. These are now automatically updated to readable textures.
    • Fixed the brush colour's alpha channel not being updated.
    • Brush is now hidden while using interactive tools.
    • Fixed an issue where externally modified terrain data wouldn't be reloaded.
    • Interactive tools now continue to work even when the mouse is not hovering over the terrain.

If you have any feature requests, let me know. I'd like to know what everyone wants to see in the next few months.

I have the Terrain Former website up and running at: www.terrainformer.com. It's under construction with only content additions to come. I'd also love to hear your feedback on the site as well. Would it be worth setting up a feedback/requests voting section?

12. Teila

Teila

Can your tools flatten areas for roads? I have tried a number of ramp and other tools and they just do not work as intended. I want to be able to easily "draw" on the terrain to flatten a small area with slopes on either side. Unity doesn't allow enough control to do this without major headaches.

13. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

That is actually the next main feature I plan on implementing. It will take most likely 4 or more months until it's done unfortunately. I could send out early builds to customers in between that time however, but nothing would be ready until approximately two months away.

14. sefou

sefou

Hello AquaGeneral,

Brush size : is it possible with Keyboard Shortcuts ")" and "^", having increments of 1 or 2 or 5 instead of 20.

15. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

Send me a private message with your invoice for your Terrain Former purchase and I will send you a custom build with that. It's only about 10 minutes work on my end (if that).

Also, are you sure you want the ")" and "^" keys to increment/decrement? They aren't right next to each other. Do you also want Shift to be pressed for these shortcuts?

16. sefou

sefou

Others short cut as well.

NB : Just send my invoice by starting an conversation.

17. sefou

sefou

Hello AquaGeneral,
    can you add this feature : Brush working by (direction) it Normal face ?

Thanks

NB : your tool is awsome

18. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

Hi Sefou,

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "Brush working by (direction) it Normal face"? To sculpt a bump perpendicular to the terrain normal?

19. sefou

sefou

Yes , to sculpt a bump perpendicular to the terrain normal ; brush currently work only on Y axe ( global / world axe).

20. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

Since there's so many ideas and features to come in Terrain Former, I've set up a UserVoice idea/feature voting forum: http://rollingkinetics.uservoice.com/forums/278877-general

Everyone can share their personal requests and the top voted requests will be implemented soonest.

I've added your idea here: http://rollingkinetics.uservoice.co...t-terrain-perpendicular-to-brush-normal-angle

It should come in Terrain Former v1.21, unless it turns out much more time consuming than it seems (which shouldn't happen).

21. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

I just realized that sculpting perpendicular to the terrain normal won't work due to the nature of a heightmap. A heightmap cannot have its vertices shifted along any axis other than upwards.

It would be possible of course to integrate a feature like that anyway, but all that would accomplish would be essentially scaling the brush alongside a certain axis. This can already be done manually by using a slow brush speed and sculpting the terrain in a linear stroke.

Sorry that this one feature can't be implemented, but at least it allows me to focus more on the important features such as brush rotation and a path/roads tool.

22. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

Version 1.3 has just been released today. It includes some new features, including custom keyboard shortcuts, among a lot of other changes:
    Features
    • Customizable keyboard shortcuts.
    • Custom brushes now support falloff and roundness.
    • Brush size increment amount can be altered. (Default was 1%.)
    Improvements
    • Enlarged tool mode labels.
    • Overhauled settings interface.
    • Improved brush roundness algorithm. It now blends seemlessly between a rounded square to a circle.
    • Various minor optimizations to terrain tool performance.
    • Grid tiling is based on camera distance.
    • Minor improvement to the Generate icon's thickness.
    • Various other minor UI improvements.
    • Miscellaneous internal improvements and optimizations.
    Fixes
    • Editor-related logic is now placed separately in an "Editor" folder, allowing standalone builds to complete successfully.
    • Grid now stays in place while using interactive tools.

The main focus for the next release will be a roads/paths tool.

23. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

Version 1.3.1 is out now. It now supports Unity 5 and comes with some minor improvements and a bug fix:
    Features
    • Unity 5 support.
    Improvements
    • User interface controls are now lined up perfectly with surrounding UI.
    • Other minor UI improvements.
    Fixes
    • Undo/Redo can no longer reset the current brush to the default.

24. wheels

wheels

This is a truly a amazing idea, wish i could afford it right now. One suggestion i recommend is a random and controlled custom brush rotation option so you could use for example a height map of a mountain or cliff as a brush that is randomly rotated or controlably dragged to rotate and face a given direction. another amazing feature could be painting on multiple terrain tiles at once.

25. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

There's $5 wacom pressure tool for terrain on asset store, works perfect. Will it work with yours? if not, you should get it and see how it's done. It's just unity event calls, no dll.

26. wheels

wheels

caved and bought it today, ya my wallet hates me but so worth, still like my suggestions. Also I agree on wacom tablet support.

27. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

Brush rotation is planned, but I haven't thought of randomized brush rotation. Expect them to release simultaneously, and if all goes well they should be out in a few months.

Multiple terrain support is also planned, along with texture painting across multiple terrains.

I was able to find Terrain Pressure Paint but that's $10 (at least in my region). I don't think it will work with Terrain Former, but I'm curious to see how the developer(s) went around implementing pressure sensitivity in that way.

Thanks! Your're suggestions are some of highest priority features for me to work on.

28. sefou

sefou

Hi AquaGeneral,

shortcuts Incresase/Decrease Brush Size work weird with Brush Size Increment : 1%, 2% ,5% or 10%. It decrease or increase weird.

29. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

Hi sefou,

I think the issue you're regarding is that the brush samples will update constantly while changing the brush size. It should only update the brush samples after the the shortcut key has been released or the mouse has been released. I've not been happy with any solution I've found to this, but I am well aware it's a major issue.

I'll see if I can solve this issue today.

Edit: I've made a partial fix the issue. I'll be emailing to Sefou only since I haven't fully tested it and since he was running into the problem.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  30. wheels

wheels

I found a weird one for you AquaGeneral, seems terrain collision isnt updated properly. To update collision you need to undo your last heightmap change, very odd bug and quite annoying.

31. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

It's so strange that this is happening considering I was using Terrain Former myself and didn't seem to notice the collision mesh not being updated. I'm having a look into this now.

Edit: I've found the cause, if you don't save your scene before play-testing your scene after the terrain has been modified, the collision will not be updated. Oddly enough, Unity's own terrain tools are making this exact behavior! I'll report this as a bug.

Edit 2: Others have been experiencing this: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/915305/terrain-collider-bug-in-unity-5.html

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  32. sefou

sefou

Hi AquaGeneral,

unfortunately ,shortcuts Incresase/Decrease Brush Size still work weird .

33. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

Could you please elaborate on what exactly is going wrong?

34. sefou

sefou

hi AquaGeneral,
    Brush Size Increment :) 1%, 2% ,5% or 10%) increase /decrease weird.

35. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

What does it do that's weird?

36. sefou

sefou

Brush Size Increment 1% : shortcut Size incremente : 11,6959 then 31,51,71....
    2% : 11 , 51 , 91 ,...
    3% : 11 , 111 , 211 ...
    10% : 11 , 211 , 411 ...

37. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

Oh yes! That's the intended behavior. The Brush Size Increment designates the percentage of the terrain size that will be added/subtracted from the brush size while using the increment/decrement shortcuts.

If your terrain size is 512 units, then a Brush Size Increment of 2% will add/subtract 2% of 512 (10.54).The reason it works this way is that it will give the same behaviour for every terrain you're working on, no matter the size. I am indeed open to improving this behaviour however.

I would have sworn I made a tooltip for this option - looks like it'll be coming in the next release.

38. wheels

wheels

Added brush spaceing as an idea

39. odin60

odin60

Just started using this asset today and it already has made such an improvement in the time it is taking me to sculpt my terrains. One type of brush that would be amazing to have and would probably be a big selling point would be a slope/ramp brush.

Something like enter a min and max height then the user just clicks and drags the mouse and when they let go of the mouse button it will create a gradual slope between those two locations based on the values provided. The width of the slope could just use the brush width. Might not even need the min and max values, just use the height where the user clicks and releases.

40. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

Glad you are enjoying it!

That feature will essentially come for free alongside the paths/roads tool.

Just FYI for everyone; the issue in Unity where the terrain collider isn't updated until you save can cause not only incorrect collision in game, but it will alter where your sculpting brush is placed. The best work around for now if just to save your scene once it becomes a problem. The issue is known by Unity and even occurs with Unity's own terrain tools. Hopefully it won't be too long until it's fixed.

41. odin60

odin60

That's great to hear! Do you happen to have a ballpark timeframe of when this feature will be released?

42. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

There are so many variables that will determine how long it will take, but I hope for the release to be finished in the next four to five months - though I could send out beta builds before then. Thinking about it, the simple slope/ramp functionality from the roads/paths tool could be ready in beta form (at least) in the next few weeks.

43. wheels

wheels

Anynews on any new features? rotatable brushes are something im lookng more foreward to each day.

44. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

I've been burdened with some long term personal troubles which have slowed progress of many things. With that said however, expect to see more progress. I will try to get rotatable brushes to you as soon as possible. It should be rather trivial to implement.

45. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

I've sent @wheels a preview build with brush rotations. If anyone else would like the build, they can email me at aquageneral@hotmail.com with their Terrain Former invoice number.

46. wheels

wheels

Hey, any progress here?

47. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

I've started on most of the new features but I haven't been able to put a decent amount of time in recently since I've been busy. I will be able to work a heap more on Terrain Former in the next few months. I will be focusing on the path/road tools.

Sorry for the wait nevertheless. I did release a minor update a month ago. Here are the release notes:
    1.3.2 - 11th of July 2015
    Features
    • Brush rotation.
    Improvements
    • Minor fixes to Settings related text.
    Fixes
    • No longer checks for shortcuts while a terrain command is being used.
    • No longer updates brush samples repeativley while changing a parameter.

48. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

Terrain Former v1.4 and a patch v1.4.1 have come out. Terrain Former now comes with the full source code, has powerful new randomization tools and much more.

1.4.1 - 13th of January 2016
    Fixes
    • Fixed an issue where pressing certain keys would cause a KeyNotFoundException.

1.4.0 - 9th of January 2016
    Features
    • Source code is now available (no more .dll's).
    • Random brush offset and rotation.
    • Brush spacing (both random and fixed).
    • Duplicate Terrain objects cleanly using the function located in Assets > Duplicate Terrain….
    • Terrain Former settings are now saved as a JSON file "Settings.tf".
    • Brush settings are now saved per mode.
    • Circular ramp generation.
    • Generate options now have a height property.
    • New shortcuts. Cycle between brushes ("O" and "P"), reset brush rotation ("0"), and toggle Sculpt Onto modes ("I").
    • Ability to change the preview size of brushes.
    • New option to always show brush selection.
    • In Flatten and Set Height modes, there is now a second cursor that shows the current height.
    • Customizable scene-view information.
    Improvements
    • Terrain Former can now be moved to any folder inside of "Assets".
    • Brush size increments are now tuned to be more commonly used values.
    • Increase/decrease Brush speed are now rounded to the nearest 0.1.
    • Internal brush samples are no longer completely recalculated while rotate clockwise/counterclockwise shortcuts are being executed.
    • Generate icon has less thickness.
    • Numerous optimizations for calculating brush samples.
    • Rotate Brush Right/Left shortcuts have been renamed to Rotate Brush Clockwise/Counterclockwise.
    • Heaps of minor UI improvements.
    • Flatten All is now 3x faster.
    • Smooth All is now 2x faster.
    • Heaps of under-the-hood improvements.
    • Improved wording for error messages.
    Fixes
    • Fixed OutOfBounds exception when deleting a custom brush.
    • In Flatten and Set Height modes, sculpting will always be projected onto a plane—it doesn't make sense to raycast onto the terrain in these modes.

wheels likes this.
  49. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

Terrain Former v1.4.2 is out! It fixes some rudimentary bugs alongside a very allusive bug that I'd been looking to track down for weeks (the issue where custom brushes wouldn't be selectable). It also contains a small new feature and an improvement.
    1.4.2 - 22nd of January 2016
    Features
    • The procedural brush can now have a custom angle and use random rotation.
    Improvements
    • Brush Size Increments have been lowered again to facilate small brush size changes.
    Fixes
    • Fixed an issue where brushes in sub-directories of the Brushes folder weren't disovered.
    • Fixed an issue where the "Restore Defaults" button located in settings was incorrectly enabled/disabled.
    • Fixed an issue where externally updated terrain assets would cause an error.
    • Fixed an issue where brush speed didn't affect random rotation.

50. AquaGeneral

AquaGeneral

Terrain Former v1.4.3 is out on the Unity Asset Store. It includes a fix for for the brush projector with Unity 5.3.4 and more:
    1.4.3 - 25th of March, 2016
    Features
    • Option to display "Brush Size Increment" in the Scene View Information panel.
    Improvements
    • Behaviour foldout now responds to interaction across entire control's width (rather than just the foldout icon).
    • Minor layout improvements to Scene View Information.
    Fixes
    • Fixed an issue where the brush projector wasn't always visible and wasn't projecting onto certain parts of terrain.
    • All sculpting operations can no longer go lower than 0 or higher than the maximum height of terrain. This is noticeable if for example you try to raise terrain that is actually lower than 0 (not show visually), it will take some time until the terrain finally gets above 0 units.
    • "Always Update Terrain LOD" is now enabled by default.