Search Unity

Terrain Composer2 a next generation GPU powered terrain tool.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Sep 16, 2012.

1. recon0303

recon0303

This should work out of the box with any tree solution, I use Unature, Infini Tree, with TC2, you don't need to do anything special .. Unature works with TC2.. as does InfiniTree2. LUSH LOD never used, but shouldn't be much to it. to be honest. But welcome to ask the developer of course.. /cheers.

2. recon0303

recon0303

I can message him, but what do you mean by this? sorry hard to understand what your asking. /cheers.

3. eagle555

eagle555

You can just make a prefab of the Terrain Area GameObject (drag and drop somewhere in the project window, don't rename it as TC2 searches for 'Terrain Area' name). Then close the TerrainComposer2 window, and open a new Scene, drag and drop your Terrain Area GameObject in the Scene, and then open TC2 window, it will automatically detect it. The other way to do it is assign the Terrain Area prefab in the Area2D GameObject.

upload_2017-6-13_19-37-33.png

Make sure you create new terrains with a different folder, as Unity stores them into the project and not into the Scene. So if you use the same terrains in multiple Scenes, overwriting them in one Scene will change them in the other Scenes as well.

Nathaniel

4. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Hi Nath,

Is there a timeline on any updates? I would really like to use TC2 with already created terrains/heighmap etc...

Regards,

Andy

5. eagle555

eagle555

Other terrain tools on the Asset Store don't have the node paint features that Seneral developed. And it wouldn't be fast enough unless generation of the terrains is done on the GPU like TC2 and WorldCreator does. I don't see any issues with Seneral creating extensions for TC2 and helping me on the forum. Actually TC2 price should be $90 or more, having it split up into more extensions makes it more affordable.

As for TC2 example. TC2 includes quite some examples, procedural and stamp based:

E.g. Virtual-O is made with TerrainComposer2:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/529020/VirtualO/

Nathaniel

6. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

@eagle555
    1. C̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶v̶i̶d̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶c̶r̶e̶e̶n̶s̶h̶o̶t̶,̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶t̶e̶p̶-̶b̶y̶-̶s̶t̶e̶p̶ ̶d̶e̶s̶c̶r̶i̶p̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶h̶o̶w̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶M̶a̶n̶u̶a̶l̶ ̶O̶b̶j̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶P̶l̶a̶c̶e̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶f̶u̶n̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶a̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶u̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶c̶e̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶r̶e̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶o̶b̶j̶e̶c̶t̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶m̶a̶t̶t̶e̶r̶ [see edit]

2. How can you create a rule such that trees do not spawn more than x distance from each other - tree resolution per meter doesn't seem to achieve this?

3. Is it possible to make a rule such that trees affect the splat map at their spawned location?

EDIT: It seems the boolean object (Manual Object Placement mesh) must contain:
    • Mesh renderer
    • Material set to opaque rendering mode
    • Surface normals to project from
    • *For LOD meshes, you can place the script on the parent alone

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  7. camel82106

camel82106

4. You cannot do that now. For me this is actually an biggest limitation now of TC2 compared to TC. As tree resolution doesn't allow you to do some sort of things.

Nathaniel is working on this feature, you can see it in roadmap.
    Tree and Object distance with advanced relations system

But when it will be available that's an question.
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/roadmap/

buttmatrix likes this.
  8. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Andy,

This is possible with the current version, you can export the heightmap from existing terrains for multiple terrain tiles to a TC2 stamp.

1). You need to select the main height node.
    2). In the Node Inspector select export source -> Terrain Data_Files
    3). Click the '+' button to add the number of terrain tiles.
    4). Select the how many tiles you have with 'Tiles X' and 'Tiles Y'.
    5). Drag and drop your Unity TerrainData files from the project window in the tile slots.
    6). Choose or create any folder with 'RawFiles' name.
    7). Click the 'Export Heightmap', the stamp is exported.TC2 automatically creates a preview image for it in the folder above and this can be drag and dropped on a node.
    8). Click the 'Create Layer' button for TC2 to automatically make a layer and node for the exported heightmap.

I will add this to the documentation.

Nathaniel

upload_2017-6-14_20-12-3.png

9. shwa

shwa

Hi,
    Is this now working in OSX?
    If not, what is the ETA?
    thanks.

_Luthien_, sirgabriel and mons00n like this.
  10. _Luthien_

_Luthien_

Copy that, though I know how hard it is to come with an ETA when you are a single developer, working on many features. I've been waiting eagerly and I can't wait to get started :)
    Nathaniel has indicated that Mac OS support can be expected in the next update, so I am hoping for that one to arrive soon.

sirgabriel and mons00n like this.
  11. gghitman69

gghitman69

hi
    When sort tc2 2.6 please
    It is possible to increase the number of plant and tree (16 that is too little) please

12. Seneral

Seneral

Don't know where you got the number 16 but you can decrease the meters per tree in the top tree output node. Be careful though, setting it very low can slow down you PC immensely;) Somewhere between 16 and 48 is ok generally.

13. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

I think he's talking about the model limit, not the density.

Seneral likes this.
  14. Seneral

Seneral

Ups, thanks for the note. Sorry, don't know about that.

15. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

Hi, I'm wondering how to get rid of lines between terrains, I'm using rtp but this happens with standard material too.
    This is in a build and not in editor, but it does the same in editor too

Thanx Jim

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwHnbBuRZU8kY1NqcWpaYzkxTE0/view

EDIT! Fixed by changing normal map and colour map tiles to clamp and not repeat :D

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  16. gghitman69

gghitman69

ups Yes I was talking about the limit number of model thanks NA_RA_KU
    Can block the refreshment of the plant or heighmap ?
    because every time it updates it consumes my ram

17. Seneral

Seneral

Yep sure, you can toggle outputs on and off by clicking in their labels in the graph or in the top toolbar (grey is off, green is on). They still remain active but they don't get updated...

18. C3P

C3P

its a few months since i last used TC2
    is it still not possible to add more than 8 grass textures?

19. camel82106

camel82106

It now supports 16 grass and splat textures (before it was 8)

20. C3P

C3P

which version are you using? i'm using 2.32 and i still get the message that only 8 grass textures are supported.

21. camel82106

camel82106

2.5 Although I was experiencing an bug related to 9th grass texture. So not so sure now if it's working really, but maybe it's only my problem.

22. Ryuichi173

Ryuichi173

Hi C3P

Check official web site and you can find Link for download latest patch for TC2.:)
    This asset sometimes would update not on asset store but official web site or on this forum as temporary patch.

23. gghitman69

gghitman69

I am the only one to have bugs with the plants or the trees?
    I plant plants if at a time I delete them even by doing reset plants this remains to show
    My plants never respect a splatmap
    At the end of 3 different plants on 3 identical line the third does not mix with the other

24. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Suddenly getting this error in the inspector in 5.6.1f1

Assets/TerrainComposer2/Scripts/Editor/TC_ItemBehaviourEditor.cs(331,39): error CS0117: `Tool' does not contain a definition for `Rotate'

Seems to be from this line. 331 TC_itembehavioureditor.cs

if (Tools.current == Tool.Rotate || Tools.current == Tool.Move || Tools.current == Tool.Scale) Tools.hidden = true;

Ryuichi173 likes this.
  25. Ryuichi173

Ryuichi173

Hi AndyNeoman,

I'm a fan of this asset.

Have you just updated Unity to 5.6.1f1? Then it might be because of internal change of Unity editor.
    It's always annoying me so much, but Unity official sometimes change core logic without major number update.
    And sometimes this might be cause of trouble with assets we bought...:(

26. Seneral

Seneral

Is it gone after restart?
    Can't imagine Unity changing that enum anytime soon, it's only a descriptive for the rotation tool in the editor. According to the documentation ít's still there.
    So I suppose it's unity weird behaviour after upgrading...

Ryuichi173 likes this.
  27. Ryuichi173

Ryuichi173

Yes it should to be so.
    That idea come to my mind because I just met strange bug at Unity v5.6.0 f3 about animation, at that time.
    Yes I had to be cool.:oops:

28. Seneral

Seneral

Well no you are right, they do change some API that is not documented. Tool has only recently been documented and exposed at all if I'm correct, so could be. But documented API usually gets a long periode of deprecation before complete removal...

29. eagle555

eagle555

I hope to get it working this month.

Grass and splat textures have a limit of 16 which is actually a lot. More grass textures wouldn't work well for performance on Unity terrain, 16 is probably already too much.

Trees and objects types are unlimited.

Yep texture import settings on clamp fixes the seams on the edges.

Memory shouldn't accumulate. Can you show it in screenshots how memory accumulates? You can disable the updating it like Seneral says.

Can you show some screenshot of your TC2 window setup?

Nathaniel

Tiny-Tree likes this.
  30. txarly

txarly

Hey,

I want to create a road in my forest multiterrain.I have different layers with noises so the terrain is irregular.Then, I apply and substract an image layer(i have a .png with with a road) with a very low level(Y= 0.05), so it substracts the image to the hole terrain a bit,but my problem is that even it substracts the image , the noise of the other layers remain(the road looks iregular too) , and i want the road to be flat.
    What is the best way to do this?

Thanks

31. gghitman69

gghitman69

hi
    Personally i have full bug (unity 5.6.1 windows 10) i have reinstalle terrain composer 2 in new projects 2.3 ,2.4 and 2.5

In plants if I put a mesh it does not even want to instantiate it
    If after I replace it by a pictures unity Immediately closes error acces violation 0cx000005

My plants do not respect the splatmap

12.PNG

simple plant on splatmap
    13.PNG

iIt is lacking in areas

11.PNG

Or it poses or it must not

99.PNG

32. gghitman69

gghitman69

strange perlin result

111.PNG 222.PNG

why not view red color in nodes perlin

33. Seneral

Seneral

@gghitman69 Can only suspect but does that happen if you decrease the tiles? Seeing the perlin node makes me thing you have 15x15 tiles, which is ridiculous... Have heard about strange things happening with many tiles in TC2 before, not to mention the performance hit 225 terrains have (each one has an overhead).

34. rbm123

rbm123

how can I make snow on terrain and trees in TC1.92 ?

I'm using auto generate with sample data!

35. gghitman69

gghitman69

hi
    go back to 2.32 and the most problem
    There would be mismanagement of the 16 splatmap or whatever?

36. eagle555

eagle555

This can be done with a portal node + blur node + road mask node:

1). First put everything before the road into a LayerGroup.
    upload_2017-6-28_21-3-15.png

2). Create a new layer and add a yellow node. Set Input Kind to portal. Lock the inspector and drag and drop the layer group node into the 'Portal Node' slot. Put the layer to L (lerp).
    upload_2017-6-28_21-7-49.png

3). Add a blur node next to the portal node.
    4). Add a blue mask node with your road image.
    5). Increase the iterations on the blur node to flatten the road.

Before with the blur node inactive (gives no change in result).

upload_2017-6-28_21-9-37.png

After with blur node enabled, road is flattened:
    upload_2017-6-28_21-10-36.png

Nathaniel

Attached Files:

Ryuichi173 likes this.
  37. eagle555

eagle555

How many terrain tiles do you use? The vegetation is not even spread over the terrain is because the grass resolution is too low for the density, it's an old Unity terrain issue. To solve it increase the grass resolution, or decrease the opacity of the grass with a mask node. With a mask node have to set input kind to 'Shape' and input shape to 'Contant', then with the height of the node you can control the density.

upload_2017-6-28_21-15-33.png

With Unity standard terrain shader you'll have to use a white splat texture for the snow. With RTPv3 and other terrain shaders on the Asset Store snow can be setup based on slope/height. Snow on trees requires a special tree shader for it.

Nathaniel

38. magique

magique

I saw an issue yesterday where I was scaling and dragging a stamp layer and I got some errors about not being able to create a computer buffer or something like that. I didn't copy the exact error, but it was something along those lines. Then the terrain was all messed up with one tile having part of the stamp and the adjacent tile not having anything. I had to re-load the scene or restart Unity to get it back to normal. I can't remember which. Has anyone else seen anything like this?

39. magique

magique

I'm trying to use MegaSplat after creating terrain in Terrain Composer 2, but on the terrain under the Material in the inspector it gives the following message:

Can't use materials with shaders which need tangent geometry on terrain. use shaders in Nature/Terrain instead.

I also posted to MegaSplat author, but wanted to check here as well. I'm not sure how to get around this.

40. eagle555

eagle555

If it happens again can you make a screenshot of the Unity console (control-shift-c) with the error? Without it I can't really see what went wrong.

TerrainComposer 2 creates standard Unity terrain, MegaSplat can convert Unity terrain to it's own system. It's something the MegaSplat developer must know the answer to.

Nathaniel

41. Seneral

Seneral

Hm Megasplats should be able to work with terrains, it has official support for it. I suggest you to check if you used the correct shader, it has two included, one for mesh and one for terrain:)
    But could also be you first need to convert the splat data as Megasplats has a different splat system.
    Seneral

42. magique

magique

By using the correct shader, do you mean for TC2 or MegaSplat? I am simply using the example scene from TC2 and didn't change any shaders there. As for MegaSplat side I can't even assign the shader because the error prevents me from getting to that step.

I have no idea how to do that. Is there a step somewhere in the docs or a video to show how to do that?

[EDIT]
    Nevermind. I heard back from Jason and it's just an invalid warning. I ignored it and can continue on without a problem.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  43. Seneral

Seneral

Yes, Jason did a great tutorial for setting it up:

EDIT: Ah ok seen it on his forums:)

44. eagle555

eagle555

Yes this is possible. The node visualization will be in the next update.

Nathaniel

45. shwa

shwa

"I hope to get it working this month."

Great to hear this. What version of Unity will be required for OSX?

46. eagle555

eagle555

At least Unity5.6 as Unity added support for compute shaders there with Metal.

Nathaniel

47. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Hi Nathaniel, I'm not sure what is wrong but i do not have the options in export that you do. My screen has limtied options in export. I don't seem to have option to choose a terrain data set.

Screenshot (77).png

Farelle likes this.
  48. eagle555

eagle555

49. Vanidash-Studios

Vanidash-Studios

is it possible to make a quick video tutorial on how to do the manual placing objects? im reading the manuals but i cant make it work

50. eagle555

eagle555

Yes I can do, can you show some screenshots of you setup, so I can see what might be wrong?

Nathaniel