Search Unity

Terrain Composer2 a next generation GPU powered terrain tool.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Sep 16, 2012.

1. MaulikKaloliya

MaulikKaloliya

Hi @eagle555, i am using terrain composer 2

I have build sand dune landscape using Rigid noise and works very fine with settings (See attached image).

But my requirement is like infinite terrain, so it will require tillable part.

So can you give any suggestion how to make single 2048 X 2048 terrain tillable with above noise settings so i can repeat copy of one terrain any side.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Seneral

Seneral

Hey, I'm the developer of TC2 Node Painter.
    I have to disagree - a terrain generation tool as TC2 does not HAVE to have painting capabilities - that's often just too far fetched. The aim of TC2 is procedural generation, and while the painting of nodes complements that perfectly, it is such a big topic for itself that it is out of scope, atleast in these stages of development - there's alot of stuff higher on the feature list currently...
    That's why we don't see other terrain tools, especially MapMagic, which would be a perfect fit, having similar painting tools. If you want to do manual changes with MapMagic, WorldCreator or Gaia, you can't modify the terrain generation base afterwards either.
    Btw you can use masks created in an image editing program to achieve the same effect - just alot more clumsily and without immediate feedback. In fact, Node Painter uses image nodes to feed the painted canvases back to TC2;)

One other option, if you're happy with your procedural terrain, is to disable the height and/or splat output. This still allows you to tweak trees/grass/objects, just not the outputs wich you manually modified - and you're missing muli-terrain tools.

Hope that gives you another view on that:)
    Seneral

3. Seneral

Seneral

Hey, so you want to make an infinite terrain with ever-repeating tiles? If that's what you want, I don't think TC2 can make them tileable by default. You go the old-fashion way of doing it (just not in an editing program but TC2) and scale it down to a quarter, copy it three times and put each copy in it's own corner. Then you can use the flip scale controls to make it tileable, but that removes even more unique detail.

If your target platform supports this (DX11/ComputeShaders) you can use TC2 for infinite terrain so it does generate the next tiles for itself, so you have always new shapes and details. Not sure if TC2 includes a script for that by defaut by now though...
    Seneral

4. gghitman69

gghitman69

@Seneral
    sorry I find a little immoral
    paint node should be provided with tc2

5. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

FYI

The detail patch resolution setting doesn't seem to apply to all terrain tiles like it should. I was applying it to the terrain area, and tried applying it to all terrain areas as well.

6. Seneral

Seneral

@AwesomeX @gghitman69 It interests me to know why you think like that. Sure, it perfectly complements TC2, but it is in no way absolutely essential nor a standard in terrain generation tools that are currently on the market.
    And, while Nathaniel works on core improvements TC2 and focusses on the more prominent features, I took the initiative to build a tool that, in a way, brings me closer to how I think procedural terrain generation should be. If it didn't exist, I doubt you would even know you miss it - only now that you think of it it might feel like it is so essential that it should be included.

But isn't that with every extension? Who knows if it would have ever been a feature of the main tool it the extensions wasn't there in the first place. Though, one thing I can say for sure: You would have to wait a long time for it to be developed officially considering the long list of upcoming features that are more prominent and 'important'. I've not heard a single request of a node painting tool in this thread before I brought it up, but many other requests that are, in the end, more important for Nathaniel to cover (understandably).

Anyway, feel free to proof me wrong or tell me your sight on this. I would consider myself biased as the developer of the extension but, pardon me, also you as the users wanting the extension, and trust me, I probably wouldn't react differently;)
    But it certainly isn't immoral - the sad truth is, this is the free market...
    Seneral

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    doq, TeagansDad and Mark_01 like this.
  7. gghitman69

gghitman69

I understand you but
    You'd better join and incorporate direct(You can manage thisforum)
    It feels like a game or if you want more you pay (While even for you it is an essential and natural function)
    node paint For landing has a weakness of tc2 Because I use it and made a large map full height is impossible its deborde
    this is the basis
    more little bug
    tc2 not in beta
    I am patient
    I have to use other asset to bypass as Gena
    its my opinion

8. Seneral

Seneral

Neither am I the developer of TC2 nor the manager of this forum, so it's not a standard 'if you want more you pay' situation - maybe you misunderstood that. I do understand that it's annoying to buy twice to get the best out of the tool, trust me, I'd love to remove that burden. But I do not have the ability to and also don't want my extension to be directly incorporated in TC2 - despite all it's benefits. It's simply impossible (or extremely hard) to manage as Nathaniel and I are two seperate parties.
    Also, it's not a 'bug' of TC2 to not have painting, and the painter simply is not strictly essential. It helps alot, true, but you can theoretically make the same content by creating the masks in your favourite image editor... In the end, it's your choice if you decide on the painting extension or not. TC2 by itself is powerful enough to create even the biggest worlds by making use of normal masks, a key part of TC2 since the beginning. Node Painter really just makes things alot more easier, intuitive and faster when laying out your world or detailing small regions alike.

TL;DR: I see your point - it's annoying to buy twice. But you can't blame TC2 for not having that edge-feature directly incorporated, and TC2 Node Painter is a 3rd party extension - it is a normal concept to have extensions adding features to tools that would normally be out of scope (or not required by the majority). Integrating my extension would be very difficult to manage, so it likely won't happen.

Sorry for having to dissappoint you... hope you understand now:)
    Seneral

9. Alverik

Alverik

Well, I can kinda understand those guys. It would be cool if you could just merge with TC2 and work with him (or his team if he has it), since it's such a desired feature. And it does feel frustrating to have to buy third party assets for a third party asset... I personally don't do that, I don't see the point of having to buy an asset if you'll have to buy extensions for it... I've also been given the idea of making extensions for other people's assets once or twice, but I've never gone through with it... since I'd rather have the original asset have the option. I'd rather advice the author/give him ideas or make it myself, that is, if he is willing to pay me for it or give me a cut, or if it's simple, to just give it away in github or something. Though, I do understand that having to think of "shared" earnings is not that comfortable for most people, so it's a difficult subject...

On another note, I can also understand why one of the guys is confused and thinks you are the author, since you answer more often than eagle555... I'm not saying that's bad, I know eagle must be pretty busy with projects and TC2, but it really makes it feel like you are the one in charge, lol.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Seneral likes this.
  10. mh114

mh114

Hi! I'm hitting a bump with this asset, in fact I cannot create even the first node? From tutorials there seems to be a plus-button that is missing on my end. Any ideas @eagle555 ? See the image, shouldn't there be a button for adding a node? I'm on Unity 5.6.1p1.
    terraincomposer.png

11. Alverik

Alverik

If you click on the "Height" button in the TC2 editor, does it not turn green? All the tabs seem to be off (red) in your screenshot.

12. mh114

mh114

Nope, just toggles between red and grey, I guess red is off.

13. camel82106

camel82106

Hi,
    would it be possible to publish a little info about how portals works? I know what that feature is but I wasn't able to use it in configuration.

Just some one minute rough private video or whatever would be great.

Nice day
    Peter

14. Seneral

Seneral

Red only means the output is active but there are no nodes that can produce any output.
    That is indeed a bug, think it was solved by reimporting TC2 with right-click/reimport, but I'm not sure anymore.

15. mh114

mh114

I've tried reimporting several times. In fact there were messages about TC2 prefabs that suggested to reimport (which I did). The messages appeared more than once, so there might be something wrong about the installation. We do have the asset under Standard Assets; looking at the code it seems TC2 should be able to function even when not residing in the root Assets-folder, but I guess I'll try moving it if no other ideas come up.

16. ogneed

ogneed

We are small team and I alone will do terrain part of art. Will be enough to buy one license - only for me? Result of my work will be able for using on other machines without your plugin?

17. Seneral

Seneral

Yes, that is pretty much the problem. For now I can't say anything but it probably won't happen in the near future, if at all. Have yet to even talk to Nathaniel about it:) Also, it's not only 'unconfortable' for us, but that could also mean an increase in price of TC2 in total.

Anyway, yes I do answer here alot, I know lol... But if I have spare time for a few minutes then why not try to help;)
    Seneral

18. Seneral

Seneral

Did a thread search - it was related to import issues:)
    See Nathaniel's original post here.
    Basically, if you have asset serialization set to force text, switch it to mixed and re-import (as reimporting normally didn't work for you), after that you should be able to work with TC2 and even set it back to force text.
    Hope that does it:)

19. camel82106

camel82106

OK I get portal working. Inspector lock was an important clue...

But it looks like it has an problem (maybe related to multitiled terrain 2x2?)

At bottom right is portal's source mask group (red)
    Upper left is an portal node. But as you can see, result is somehow zoomed with artifacts copying 2x2 tiling.

Thanks
    Peter

20. mh114

mh114

Thanks for the help, but unfortunately that didn't help either. I tried it earlier because the TC2 window error message suggested the same thing. We got it working on an empty project, though, so there is something wrong with our game projects because it refuses to work properly. We got quite a complex set up for sure, with symlinks etc. because we work on several games from one code base.

Seneral likes this.
  21. Pecek

Pecek

Is it possible to use TC2 to modify existing terrains? I have a terrain exported from World Machine, all the tiles are already set up correctly, I just want to generate objects on them but I can't figure out how to do anything with tiles.

buttmatrix likes this.
  22. Seneral

Seneral

If you got exported maps from WM, then you can put them straight into TC2 and, if desired, modify them further.
    After you set up your WM export (height, color or even splat, etc.) you can then add additional channels like objects and trees.
    Currently you can't use manually created terrain tiles in TC2, but it's only a bit of work to set that up...

23. Seneral

Seneral

Can only assume but maybe the scale of the two nodes is different, causing each terrain tile to zoom into it's own center?

24. gghitman69

gghitman69

I do not understand that there is not simple video with explanation in subtitle for the non English
    tuto please
    Why is there a limit to the number of objects that can be spawned?
    exemple
    i put a gameobject on a field tile the max is 31500 spawn
    If I put another it divides by 2 or more
    Yet there is space

25. reyza560

reyza560

the terraincomposer 2 is compatible with unity 5.6.0f3? I'm planning to buy it, but im not sure if is compatible with this version unity 5.6.0f3

26. Seneral

Seneral

Yep it is:)
    As with grass and trees, TC2 has a resolution limit for objects. You can increase it by going to the top object layer node and decrease the object resolution per meter (similar to trees and grass):)

Mark_01 likes this.
  27. shwa

shwa

Hi,
    Is this now working on OSX?
    If yes, what version of Unity is required?
    thanks.

PeterB likes this.
  28. Adragen

Adragen

Does Nethaniel still trouble shoot here? or has anyone else been having some really stupid issues with TC2?? It seems to be randomly deleting nodes (such as my grass nodes just disappeared after restarting unity) and then i constantly get a stupid error in regards to the height output is not generated which basically means i cannot do any modifications on my map whatsoever as i have to keep enabling my height node when i need to adjust splat or grass textures to coincide with my alterations. basically it is a broken mess at this point for me.
    Any suggestions on if this is a common issue or if a fix is in the works?

29. recon0303

recon0303

Only need one. If you are the only one making the terrains... Then you only need one. I been doing this for years, and that is legal even for a small team...... If you are the only one using the program/asset. Then only the person using only needs to buy it....

30. recon0303

recon0303

Seneral is just helping out. as other community members, do, Seneral just does a ton more..... Yes Nath is really busy, I used to talk to him a ton, and help test even.. But its been awhile since I chatted but both him.......So I know he has been super busy with his other work. and some personal stuff... I'm sure he will be back around.

Mark_01 and Seneral like this.
  31. recon0303

recon0303

What?? why is it immoral??? No one is forcing you to buy it ...... Seneral made it as an extra tool beyond what TC2 did on its own......As it is these developers are giving, these tools away and people complain, this is the reason I would never SELL any tools I made, due to this...... 30 bucks, for a terrain tool.........I make 180 dollars and hour, I could NEVER make this tool, in 30 mins, so you and everyone else already saved thousands of dollars and hours and hours of time... by buying it.. Now if you wanted to buy Paint Node its 15 bucks, which is DIRT cheap same case applies.. So I dont get people making silly comments about this.........Say this when you SELL your games..

TeagansDad, Mark_01 and Seneral like this.
  32. gghitman69

gghitman69

wow We ask my opinion I answer
    Who tells you that I sell my game?

33. Seneral

Seneral

If you choose not to sell what you make with the tools you buy, that's totally fine. But then you can't complain about making minus in total, or complain about the value of a tool. Only if you do value your time and consider buying a tool with all it's benefits as opposed to working without it, you understand the value of it. If you just buy it for fun/interest (which I do myself alot), you're quick complaining about the price or, in this case, if it should be considered so basic that it should be included with TC2.
    In that regard, @recon0303 made a really good point...
    Still, thanks for your opinions about it. Just know I in turn find that claim unfair for the work I did to improve the terrain creation workflow. And as recon said, it's your free choice as to whether to buy it or not:)
    Seneral

34. recon0303

recon0303

your opinion is fine, but Seneral said it best...... again if you don't sell your game that is a choice you made...but you expect someone to work for free is total nonsense.... 15 bucks, is nothing I spent $40 bucks eating my dinner last night... so give me a break.....Seneral tool already and Nath's have saved me thousands of hours....enough said.

TeagansDad and Seneral like this.
  35. Alverik

Alverik

Glad you pointed out your own luck and have the silly idea that everyone else has the same life you do. Many of those who don't live in the US or Europe don't have the same fate. $40 is a lot where I live. ie: $200 is the minimum wage for a whole month of work (8 hours a day, 5 days a week). I was lucky enough to win a small game Jam which provided me enough money to get TC2 and that's the only reason I got it. For other assets I'd have no choice but to save for months, and I'm sure other people have to do that as well. Heck, probably even some people in the US and Europe also have economic situations that make it hard for them to just buy stuff like they were getting a coffee. And yeah, I still don't have anything to sell, since I develop in my spare time, usually alone, but I doubt I'll still be carefree with money when I start selling my games (eventually), I'm not sure about you, but I have a lot of priorities, like fixing the house, helping my parents and sister, etc.

Anyway, sorry for digressing from the topic, but just because you have money to spare doesn't mean everybody else does.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    _Luthien_ likes this.
  36. jbooth

jbooth

So we can expect that you'll be giving your games away for free then? Since you feel that @Seneral should do the same with his work?

37. eaque

eaque

Guys,

There is no need to argue like this. Obviously @gghitman69 is brand new (joined in 2016) and not very aware of the community agreement that flows between us...:) Most of the assets creators we are talking about are not only living thanks to UnityAssetStore. They have a real life with issues and so....So @gghitman69 maybe, should consider getting another terrain tool since it doesnt fulfill his desires.....That's all.....And i could agree with him about that. Actually the real point is that TC2 is still to difficult to use and amateurs like me don't get the results expected.

You only have to check the forum, there is almost no pictures of good looking terrains made by TC2 owners...It's obvious.

But the fact that somebody created an extension for the tool wich is very appreciated is not a capitalistic set up or a robbery! it's a luck for us to see people upgrading some other people stuff ! I'm glad geniuses who build those tools can make money with the asset store, if not we would have no tool to play with and we wouldn't achieve anything in this industry. Some authors are "immoral" really thugs cause they lie to you like "HelloGames and NoMan'sSky", not in this case.

The problem is to get the right tool for you and your uses!
    Peace out guys!;)

_Luthien_, Alverik and Farelle like this.
  38. camel82106

camel82106

Sadly not. Scale is same. I have tried to play with it but results are still same. Just zoomed out or in. I'm sure that it's related to multitiled terrain.

39. Seneral

Seneral

Hm, how it is obvious? I find it rather enjoying to work with TC2 - and I hear that alot from other people around me. It still takes a bit getting used to, but every tool has it's learning curve. And for what it can do, I think TC2's learning curve is remarkably low.
    Anyway, in regards to missing 'good looking' terrains... I can share a few WIP shots of my trailer, if you care:

2.png 4.png 5.png
    Do note I am still missing an atmospheric/sky solution (SkyMaster in my case). Other tools apart from TC2 and Node Painter: RTP for terrain shading, SpeedTrees rendered with Critias, Aquas for the water and some custom textures.
    It is basically only three biomes (4 with ocean) painted with a NodePainter, with some disruptions too break the uniform look especially on the planes and good care taken to blending.
    Any feedback appreciated as always:)
    Seneral

EDIT: Also, do note this has not been optimised nor designed for games, but for a trailer. I get ~20fps with my old card for now. For final realtime rendering I'll borrow a 960 which keeps 30fps:) Resolution of the terrain and the tree count are way to high for any game, but the terrain topology still stays of course, and that's what it's about:)

40. eaque

eaque

which "Obvisous" were you pointing out? I didn't mean to offense anyone! If so i do regret...:oops:
    I am a big fan of Nathaniel and his work. WIthout him i wouldn't have gone that far. ;) I am an idiot compared with him!

Many thanks for your pics.They look great!!

:)Now the following, is only to joke and for the pleasure to have a fun exchange:)
    Your pics are maybe a proof of what i was saying:

;)
    You didn't made it with only TC2 but with your node painter,and (no offense) there are only trees. So still no pics from an amateur with a textured, populated, detailed terrain...from close...as you said it's not even designed for games...

Actually i know TC2 can create amazing things, it makes me dream, it's the most powerful tool at this day But it's like an alien technology we all try to "back engineer"...:D......

;)

.We are on a forum we can tell the truth!!..... i guess
    (now i know i'm gonna be kicked out....:p)

Cheers

Alverik likes this.
  41. Alverik

Alverik

@jbooth You understand I've clearly said I understand Seneral's point of view in my previous posts? I was replying to recon0303 for what is, to be fairly honest, a silly belief (something commonly believed by a lot of people), and that is: that everyone else has the same circumstances he/she has.

But to answer your question: Yes, my first few games will be free, or at least all mobile games I ever make will be free (and mobile is my main aim). At most they will have ads or in-game items but I'm not planning to charge for the games themselves. Was my plan from the beginning, at least for games that are solely made by me. I don't have much say in games where I'm just a teammate though...

42. Seneral

Seneral

Sorry, didn't mean to offend you either - it was referred to no obvious screenshots of TC2 around as proof it can be any good - I probably misunderstood...
    Yep, you are partly right. I do have some close-up shots planned, still WIP:
    6.png
    Just standard Unity grass + SpeedTree again and some clutter. Nothing too special, even though this opening has been painted, it is no big deal creating it using standard masks and noises that come with TC2.

And yes, for a game you would have other requirements. Lower terrain resolution, less trees, but everything is static so it can be optimized further. Due to the requirements of my trailer, everything you see needs to be able to change at runtime, dynamically. So I can't use uNature (the grass-renderer equal to critias for trees), even Critias I still have to modify to support runtime changes to some extend (without critias it would not be possible altogether due to horribly slow SpeedTrees).
    For a game, all that would be no problem. With decent streaming, fast trees and grass you could clutter your game with nearly as much detail all over... So I think that makes it fair again;)
    And sure, I used Node Painter. But again, it's only for convenience. You could have painted that mask to blend these biomes in your fav image editor. It's no magic:D
    Seneral

EDIT: Btw, think this discussion is ready to close... I'm really sorry for creating so much confusion around here, but I can't help you by making Node Painter completely free, sorry:)

recon0303 and Alverik like this.
  43. eaque

eaque

Critias seems to deliver the promise of high speed and you do confirm...
    My project is mostly a desert so i don't deal much with trees and grass but it's something i would really appreciate to test!
    I still have some issues with Tc2 spawners but it's way better then TC1!

...And i repeat: i want people like you to make money with their tools!!! i admire people making all those things!! I don't expect them to be "free". :)

Seneral and Alverik like this.
  44. Seneral

Seneral

Thanks for your kind words:)
    Last edit was directed to the discussion in general, not you:)

Yes, the Spawners are pretty good, but they are parametric after all and thus they require a bit of wrapping around and understanding to get truly organic results.
    MapMagic and Gena, although not tested myself, seem to have a more 'context sensitive' placement approach - so you could, for example, simulate the spread of forests, or the falling of objects. That is of course only possible because they can target each single object/tree on the CPU, which is harder, if not impossible, to do on the GPU. Still, the results can be pretty convincing, and it's alot faster.

45. recon0303

recon0303

ROFL, to spare?? WOW, you are something....It HAS nothing to do with what I have, I wont start this into a debate but sir you don't KNOW what I have, and because we live in the US has nothing to with it, I have 3.5 million in medical bills....So your comment makes me laugh, its part of making games, to spend money on tools, you NEED.... It takes MONEY TO MAKE MONEY.... period..

anyways lets keep this on topic, Either buy it or don't... end of story...

46. recon0303

recon0303

Not all of us can show what we do , as some of us do it for a living, I been using TC1 for years and years. and 2, and NOT even Nath hasn't seen any of my terrains, since many of us have clients, investors etc, and NDA, Which is non disclosure agreements, preventing us, so NO you may NOT seen, many people posting there work...Then you have others, THAT may not want to, then end up someone trying to copy it, many reasons people DO NOT POST there terrains...New has nothing to do with commons sense, asking someone to work for free. Any way who knows me, I tend to be blunt on this forum, I come from another generation where we work for our stuff....anyways, TC1 and was made in THE FOREST....PRIME EXAMPLE of TC1 being used, and I bet its been updated with TC2.... ,Many other games used it as well..

http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/242760/

Terrain was made with TC1, which was much harder to use for some people, which has been improved base on feed back from MANY of us, I for one been very critical of the old UX/UI, in TC1 which Nath listen to us, and fixed.... Which has improved in my opinion as a UX/UI designer by 120% from TC1.

If your having issues, ask on the forums...People are always willing to help..We wont make it for you, but we will give advice... to help you along the way.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    Mark_01 likes this.
  47. recon0303

recon0303

First, your're not an idiot compared to Nath, just NOT as experience, second, to make any good looking terrain , iTS NOT a push a button and BAM, best terrain ever is made.... Now, can you make terrains this way sure, will they always LOOK GREAT no..... if that was the case I wouldn't have a job....... Now TOOLS LIKE TC2, only make terrains aka height maps..... Now to make a good looking terrain you NEED NICE SHADER WORK, PAINTING sometimes, rocks, plants etc etc....So a terrain on its OWN, will never look great..... imagine where you live if plants where gone, buildings, roads, rocks, people, etc...and it was JUST A TERRAIN......Well TC2, only designs the terrains, sure you can do splat map texturing, which helps...... Sure you can place.... trees , objects and much more... But it DOES NOT make the rocks, trees plants, buildings, you need a 3d modeling program, for all of that......So I GUESS i'm confused about the whole" Alien comment" ....... It takes time to get a nice looking terrain, and patience..... You guys today are lucky.....When I started out, I had to make mine in programs like 3ds max, Photoshop, so you would have a heart attack trying to make it, as I struggled as many did at first....... My point is , LEARN THE program, READ the docs, ask for advice.....and in no time, you will be making pretty terrains and worlds..........But expecting a TOOL to make your game won't happen...... It takes time and experience patience .....So there is not back engineering, I have NOT needed to program anything in TC1 or TC2, besides if I wanted to Stream the terrain tiles....

either way, ask, and people can advise you, and spend time learning the tool, and what it does.. and one day I promise you will be happy if you put the time in. I promise. Good luck and have fun with the tool.

48. gghitman69

gghitman69

hi please when nath come back
    increase plants for big map please
    update tc2 in asset store

49. Aleksei-Kolotilov

Aleksei-Kolotilov

50. Ziboo

Ziboo

Quick question:

I have multiple TC2 in different scenes.
    How can I share settings between them. I know you have a default settings when you create a new Terrain Area.
    But how to apply again a new preset ? (splatmaps, details, trees, ...)

Thanks