Search Unity

Tabs keep hiding.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by drewradley, Nov 29, 2016.

1. drewradley

drewradley

I bought a mac to do iOS development - my first one - and every time i have a tab open in Unity but not docked it gets hidden whenever I click on the main window to drag something in. I don't want to have to dock every single tab just to drag in a prefab and close it so how do I fix that? Every Google search I tried tells me it can't be done but I find that VERY hard to believe. Besides I can't find anything Unity specific so I think they are talking about keeping full applications on top.

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I can't quite picture what you're describing here. Can you post a screenshot or animated GIF? (Since you're new to the Mac, I'll point out that LICECAP works nicely for capturing these.)

3. drewradley

drewradley

Sure. When I try to drag the selected prefab to the open tab, the main window covers the tab and thus I can't drag anything unless it's docked. Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 10.51.54 AM.png

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Ah, I see. It's not that the target windows are closing; just that the main window — which you have filling your entire screen — comes to the front, and covers them up.

Not too much you can do about that, except arrange your windows so that they don't overlap. My own setup uses two monitors (laptop monitor plus external monitor), and looks like this: main window fills the larger external display, and code editor fills the laptop display. I rarely have any other tabs — the main window contains everything I need. But then I'm not using ORK; perhaps that tends to create a lot more windows that have no good place to go. In such cases, I would drag them onto my smaller screen, and then drag whatever I need to onto them from the main window.

5. drewradley

drewradley

Thanks! Guess it's just something I'll need to learn to deal with. I'd just hoped there was something like a toggle somewhere that kept them on top.

6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You can show application windows so you can quickly select any Unity-related windows. I have top-left mouse hot corner set for that. (Also top-right to show all windows, and bottom-right to show the desktop. This way I can quickly import anything into Unity anytime by dragging it to the project tab, also it's easy to drag stuff in Unity to otherwise hidden Unity windows.)

--Eric

drewradley and JoeStrout like this.
  7. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

@Eric5h5 makes a really good point. You may not have known about the Show Application Windows trick, or that this can be done even during a drag — either using the keyboard key if you have one (modern Mac keyboards generally do), or by setting a hot corner in the Mission Control system preference panel (use the "Hot Corners..." button at the bottom).