Search Unity

SVN vs TFS vs GIT hosting cost?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by jerotas, Feb 3, 2016.

1. jerotas

jerotas

We are currently using SVN hosting through ProjectLocker.com, which was pretty cheap at the beginning. Now that we have lots of projects, it's $50 / month. Does anyone know if TFS or GIT hosting is possibly less expensive?

2. Prodigga

Prodigga

We use BitBucket, free up to a certain amount of data. (I think you are allowed 1~ gb or something)

3. jerotas

jerotas

That doesn't sound nearly high enough for our newest project. Bigger than that, what options are there?

4. orb

orb

GitLab is available either hosted or DIY, but the one they host isn't really that different from other services. Version control is generally more expensive than plain file hosting, as there's a bit more to it than just downloading files.

How much space are you in need of for projects? It looks like BitBucket are limited to 10GB per project, but 100000 projects per account. GitLab.com follows an enterprisey model with no individual accounts, but unlimited space. With those prices maybe I should start offering Git space for rent after all!

I run my own instance of GitLab CE (shared with a few people) on a server, and it's pretty much like having your own private GitHub without the need to make things public. You could even integrate with Jenkins etc. If you're paying $50/month you are actually better off renting a server in Europe for the same price, and setting up GitLab, as long as you have people who know what they do at the admin console.

5. Korindian

Korindian

In addition to GitLab mentioned above, for Git and TFS hosting there's Visual Studio Team Services - If your team is less than 5 it's free with unlimited private projects with unlimited space. I'm about to try this with their large file support.

There's also Plastic SCM, which introduced their cloud hosting which seems reasonable price-wise. It's free if you host it yourself. But that's in addition to getting a team license unless you're a single developer.

6. TonyLi

TonyLi

+1 to Visual Studio Team Services / Visual Studio Online. Hard to beat unlimited projects and unlimited space for free. I use it for all my projects.

I recently helped set up a Bitnami Subversion server on Google's cloud platform for another team. The setup wasn't quite turnkey, requiring manual editing of config files, but the server performs quite well. It's not free, but it's still economical. Bitnami also offers version control code stacks for Amazon Web Services, too.

7. jerotas

jerotas

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll look into these!

8. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

Soft limit is 1 Gb - you'll see a message:
    Capture.PNG
    No restrictions yet, just this message.

Hard limit is 2 Gb - you'll not be able to push after that.

9. jerotas

jerotas

Well our current project is about 5Gb so far. And our team size is 7. So that rules out TFS (for free). And it sounds like the Git options don't have enough room, at least not for free. So our only option is to set up our own server in Europe to save money?

10. orb

orb

Yep. Cheap Hetzner VPS and GitLab will give you what you need, most likely. You can even win a previous-generation server in their auction and save quite a bit. 1.5TB servers for your tasks can be had for under 30 Euros a month. A VPS with 100GB SSD storage is 14.16 Euros.

11. jerotas

jerotas

Awesome, I'm trying Gitlab now. Thanks!

12. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

I would highly recommend Visual Studio Online. It's unlimited in projects and space as others have said, up to 5 users for free. If you have MSDN subscriptions, all MSDN subscribers are free (they don't count toward the 5 user limit). Users 6 through 10 are $6 each, so if you have 7 users, your total cost would be $12 / month.

The one thing I really really like about Visual Studio Online is that it doesn't limit you to TFS. You can also setup GIT repositories on it so you get your choice of Git or TFS.

13. jerotas

jerotas

Thanks Dustin for the info!

14. Cygon4

Cygon4

For $50 you ran easily rent a dedicated server.

Complete control over your data, virtually unlimited repository size, option to use VPN, free choice of project management tool. All you need is someone in your team able to set up a server.

I'm running with this setup, the tools I picked are Subversion (because svn:externals and because a working copy only downloads the head revision instead of the complete multi-gigabyte history), Taiga + WeKan (kanban + simple todo lists), OpenVPN.

From experience, I'd stay away from Microsoft tools other than Visual Studio. They're usually a few years behind the current state-of-the-art and get abandoned at the next course change. I've bet on them at various points in my career and they always pulled the carpet from under my feet.

15. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

I have two dedicated virtuals (and one in Azure that's just for messing around) and this is a good approach too, but you have to know what you're doing and manage your own backups. But also a valid and viable solution.

16. jerotas

jerotas

We're going with Gitlab for now. Possily TFS later, we will see. Thanks everyone.