Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Support for Visual Studio 2017 (RC1)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by liortal, Dec 2, 2016.

1. liortal

liortal

Hi,

I just installed the latest preview of VS2017. Is this version supported together with Unity? e.g: VSTU should work on this version?

The Unity installer (5.5) does not offer to install VSTU into this version of VS...

2. MEGA64

MEGA64

Hi.
    VS2017 rc1 already goes with preview of new VSTU v. 3.0. To set vs2017 default script editor go to Unity editor settings and chose another app for script editing. Then go to folder containing vs2017 .exe file and chose it.

Sorry for my english.

CyberGolem, BrotherEye and StephenPSA like this.
  3. StephenPSA

StephenPSA

Update for 'latest' VS2017 RC: Browse for: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe"

Hi MEGA64 and all,

Many thanks for that answer as I had a rough time getting it to work. I had (falsely) assumed it would just show up automatically once the 'Unity' option for VS2017 was installed. Just whish the Documentation had been a bit more...obvious for this (VS) setup. Tried several Install's, Un-install's and Repairs... as it turns out unnecessarily. Oh well, so it goes....

Regards,
    StephenPSA

NuruiMan, Deleted User, twda and 2 others like this.
  4. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Are there any notable differences / new features in the VSTU 3.0 preview? I think they added some additional syntax hilighting and support for Unity shaders. I have it installed on a test VM but haven't had a changed to play with it in regards to Unity yet.

kobyle likes this.
  5. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

For a few days I had VS2017 working with Unity, and it was great. Then I wanted to install the UWP components because I got a Rasberry Pi 3 for Christmas, but it kept saying that the install failed. I uninstalled VS2017 and downloaded the installer again from Microsoft's website, but it keeps failing the install.

I didn't notice much difference, but the code prediction and project open/close time has improved greatly. It shows dotted lines connecting open and close brackets which helps code look organized. Also there's a new installer that looks great, but doesn't actually let me install VS017 :(. Here's a full list of changes: https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/releasenotes/vs2017-relnotes

After looking at the known issues, actually Microsoft knows about an issue that seems related:

"Setup Failed" Error When Installing the Tools for Universal Windows Apps
    • Issue:

When installing the Universal Windows Apps workload, you may receive a "Setup Failed" error if you have uninstalled Visual Studio 2015 prior to installing Visual Studio 2017 RC. The setup log will also contain an error for the Windows SDK, "Package 'Win10SDK_version failed to install. ... Details: There was a problem downloading your product."

• Workaround:
      To work around this issue:
      1. From Programs and Features, select Windows Software Development Kit and click Change, or download and run the Windows 10 SDK (14393) installer.
      2. In the Windows SDK installer, select the "Windows Software Development Kit" and ".NET Framework SDK" features.
      3. Run Visual Studio Installer, click Modify, and then click Install. You do not need to change any feature selections.

Problem is, I can't even install VS2017 without UWP, so I'm screwed for a while.

6. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Have you tried following those steps? Running the Windows 10 SDK separately as a standalone? Then you don't have to check it when installing VS2017.

Edit: Also if you tweet to @VisualStudio on twitter they're pretty helpful and will help you get it going.

7. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

Problem is, I can't install VS itself, without any components. Here's the log:
    [3b60:0011][2016-12-30T13:24:34] Error 0x80004003:
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Cache.InstanceRepository.GetInstance()
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Cache.CacheRepository.<GetInstances>d__27.MoveNext()
    at System.Linq.Enumerable.FirstOrDefault[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate)
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Engine.VerifyInstallationPath(IServiceProvider services, String installationPath, IInstance instance, IQuery query)
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Engine.Install(Product product, String destination, CancellationToken token)Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I'll try @VisualStudio... I've already submitted a problem report as well.

Dustin-Horne likes this.
  8. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Yeah I've been super unhappy with Microsoft installers as of late. I can't install azure storage emulators.

9. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

They told me to go to this link: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40699930/error-0x80004003-during-vs-2017-rc-install

Which worked until I wanted to install UWP to test out my Rasberry Pi 3, then I got errors and failed installs again. In fact, compared to the old installer, I think 2015's was better. Not only did it actually work, but in all honesty I think it looked nicer too. The new installer looks so generic, while the 2015 one actually fits in with the new "Metro" or "Modern" look of Windows. So I'm sticking with VS2015, I guess I'll try to install 2017 again in a few months.

Dustin-Horne likes this.
  10. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

My problem is that we've had loads of bugs in 2015... every patch release fixes some stuff and breaks others it seems. Now when we have a moderate sized solution (about 30 or so projects) and we get latest from source control while that solution is open it completely hangs trying to reload projects and we have to kill it via task manager.

DroidifyDevs likes this.
  11. zwcloud

zwcloud

VSTU is available in the Visual Studio Installer:

vsi.png

I have contacted developers of VSTU and they say it is only available here and don't download from anywhere else.

12. louisrburns

louisrburns

And if you're silly like me and didn't install the VSTU when you installed Visual Studio, just open the Visual Studio Installer, go to modify, and you'll see the individual components option.

equivoque likes this.
  13. Gru

Gru

@zwcloud Thanks, that was useful. They hid it pretty weel.

14. CyberGolem

CyberGolem

Just in case you're like me and not that savvy in these regards, this is how I used MEGA64's solution. BTW, his/her solution is solid except that 2017 wasn't appearing as a selection in my external editor drop down menu, which is why I'm expanding on it:
    1. Go to the prefs in Unity >Edit> Preferences...> External Tools> External Script Editor> [select]> MonoDevelop
    2. Close an reopen Unity (just to be sure everything grabs)
    3. Return to the External Script Editor as done in step 1, and select VS 2017 from the selection menu—if it's available—in my case it wasn't so it's time to find the exe for VS 2017...
    4. I used the shortcut in my start menu to locate the root exe (since searches weren't finding it).
      • Windows 10 Start icon> Visual Studio 2017> More> Open File Location (which takes you to the shortcut in the start menu). This might work, but I prefer not having things point to shortcuts, so...
      • <right-click> the Visual Studio 2017 shortcut > Open File Location
      • A new explorer browser will appear with the correct exe already highlighted.
      • Take note of the exe's name!
    5. Copy & paste the breadcrumb path. BTW: This exe never showed up in my searches because it doesn't have any of these words in its name:
      • Visual
      • Studio
      • It's named "devenv.exe" ... heh, go figure.
    6. Back to Unity, select "browse" in the External Script Editor drop down and paste the path into the browser window.
    7. That should do it.
    Windows 10
    Unity 5.5.4p4
    Visual Studio 2017

BTW MEGA64, your English is fine! Thanks for the solution.

_Free and sgrabar like this.
  15. RandomiaGaming

RandomiaGaming

Quite a while later i am having the problem of unity not linking to visual studio 2019 have tried visual studio 2017 as well neither will link to unity 2019.3. i already checked under edit>preferences>externaltools my script editor is visual studio and editor attaching is checked. Also i have reported my project and ran diagnostics on my vs install what should i do now except reinstall windows?

16. furkan59

furkan59

I have tried CyberGolem's solution bu it did not work. Still have no option to attach to unity

17. RandomiaGaming

RandomiaGaming

Figured out that 2019.3 was an alpha so i downgraded to the last full release and it works fine.