Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Support for DPI scaling?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by 3vi1, Mar 16, 2016.

1. 3vi1

3vi1

The editor doesn't appear to be dpi-aware. When I start it on my 15.6" 3840x2160 laptop screen, it's pretty much illegible.

2. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Unity doesn't have hi-dpi support yet except for on the Mac if I'm not mistaken.

3. spacepluk

spacepluk

This is more problematic on linux desktops because they don't scale up non-hidpi apps like windows and macs do. And non-hidpi apps end up looking tiny.

My workaround is to switch to a lower resolution while I'm using Unity. It looks awful but at least I don't need a microscope to see what I'm doing :)

I'd love to hear what other people do.

3vi1 likes this.
  4. 3vi1

3vi1

I've still not had the time to seriously play with Unity yet, but my general workaround for dpi-oblivious apps has been to just use Compiz's Enhance Zoom Desktop plugin. I bound the desktop zoom in/out to shift+button4/5 so that I can just zoom in on specific app windows with shift+mousewheel when needed. The only problem with it is the unfortunate bug where it suddenly changes your mouse position when you activate some types of windows like drop-down menus.

I thought the UE4Editor was also dpi-unaware and unscalable on Linux, but just now discovered that you can scale the interface manually if you go into Window|Developer Tools|Widget Redirector.

spacepluk likes this.
  5. spacepluk

spacepluk

Interesting, I'm gonna try it and see how it works for me :)

6. Joseph-Ferano

Joseph-Ferano

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm having this issue as well. I want to run Ubuntu natively and this was a big issue. I'm going to try 3vi1's solution to see if that helps. Is there any updated on this matter? I can also try using a lower resolution I guess.

7. kmare

kmare

JonSWEDEN likes this.
  8. violeteve42

violeteve42

I know you posted this a long time ago, so I understand if I don't get a response. What screen resolution do you switch to when working in unity? I am also on a 4k monitor, and this is the first time I've ever tried unity (or any game development for that matter).

9. Eraph

Eraph

I'm adding my voice to this request, I have a laptop with a 3200x1800 resolution and Unity not scaling is the only thing stopping me migrating from Windows to Linux completely.
    I love the work you guys have done so far though! Keep it up!

10. spacepluk

spacepluk

hey @violeteve42, I missed your post. My HiDPI screen is on a 14" laptop and it's QHD+ setting the resolution to 1920x1080 or 1600x900 worked fine for me but not perfect :)

11. Eraph

Eraph

Here's a workaround for ya. There's an application called run_scaled.
    https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/run_scaled-git/
    This works for me on Manjaro with XFCE, I'd be interested to know if it's available and works the same on other distros.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. run_scaled --scale=2 /usr/bin/unity-editor

spacepluk and JSBmanD like this.
  12. stratosgear

stratosgear

This works for me under Arch and i3,too (although for my resolution scale=1.5 works better)

Haven't tried it with any other application, but it seems to be a generic way to improve my hidpi issues. Before I had to hunt around for application specific "magic" commands to trick the application into using another dpi (robomongo, spotify etc)

Thanks

13. JSBmanD

JSBmanD

Yeah, that's good solution but not perfect. Because of scaling all is really not sharp. Scale with 1.5.

Also, on my laptop, performance gone. Scaling isn't solution for some people.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  14. hashashin

hashashin

What I didn't hear yet is an official answer from Unity. Is this planned? For 2017? 2018? 2020?
    Also, given the number of people "complaining", I am sure someone would be happy to help working on that.

15. unity_iDW4iDGgXl-4tw

unity_iDW4iDGgXl-4tw

First time user here. Really sad to see this not working out of the box.

16. Tak

Tak

This is planned, but there's no ETA yet, sorry.

kodenkm and ma1onso like this.
  17. hashashin

hashashin

Is it anything we could help? Would be happy to use some of my time to help making this a reality.

18. makerender

makerender

Just wanted to chime in to say that I also would love to see this fixed. I work on a laptop with Ubuntu 16.04 at 2560x1700 resolution and Unity has been unusable since it launched on linux. I've been waiting for this issue to be fixed for a few years now. I really loved using this editor when I was on Windows and now that I'm fully moved over to Linux it's sad to have to delay working with Unity until this is fixed.

19. ChrisMLane

ChrisMLane

Just came to use the Unity Editor on Linux for the first time and had to do scaling hackery. Hopefully this can be sorted soon!

20. Tak

Tak

Feel free to try the 2018.2 beta series.

21. Fi-Renn

Fi-Renn

Is there a option in the settings or parameter in the beta? I have installed the 2018.2 beta and didn't found anything...

22. rogper

rogper

I'm also in 2018.2 and I have a 27" 4K monitor and although it seems to attempt something in the beginning (the screens get's all gray) it then get's back to the normal Dpi with tinny text. I'm waiting for the next version to see if it fixes the problem.

23. Deleted User

Deleted User

Is there a fix yet? It's 2021 now

24. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

The solution at this point is to use fractional scaling on your display. It works pretty well for the most part, though for Ubuntu it is still considered experimental. Windows is the only editor version that allows you to set your DPI scaling independent of the system setting at this point. I know the experience on a 4k display at 100% scaling is suboptimal. Feel free to log a bug as well.

25. SunnyMonster

SunnyMonster

I have my scaling set to 125% on KDE plasma (which is the optimal size for me), unity still does not scale at all. I am using the latest version of Unity 2021 LTS and KDE plasma 5.24.6 on X11.