Search Unity

SUIMONO 2.0 - Interactive Water System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by chingwa, Jan 6, 2015.

1. gecko

gecko

I forced the camera to Forward Rendering and that fixed the problem. Thanks!

2. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Is there mobile support for this?

3. twobob

twobob

There is. in fact some of the shaders are specific to each platform.

I would underline that I, personally, have not tested on those platforms and would politely suggest that some very directed testing would be required to 100% confirm the overhead is workable to your needs. As with all addons.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  4. chingwa

chingwa

There is mobile support, yes. However I must reiterate that the mobile rendering is still work-in-progress/experimental, and the overall system is not yet optimized for mobile hardware.

5. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Thank you, I hope in future we can get it more optimized as it be a great selling point and would like to use system for mobile games I develop

6. twobob

twobob

hah. Chingwa posted my edit. That'll teach me to read the revisions. Test test test

7. Morfeuskiev

Morfeuskiev

8. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Morfeuskiev,

Does Time of Day render via a skybox? There are a few issues with Unity skyboxes (and possible TimeOfDay?) where they don't respect scene depth properly. As a fix, take a look at the BetterSkybox asset that's included in the "_Extras" folder in the more recent versions of Suimono. You can add this object to your camera (see instructions/readme) and set it to "Horizon Fix" mode and it should fix the infinite ocean rendering issue.

I don't own TimeOfDay, so I can't test it here, but this is exactly the type of situation I developed BetterSkybox to handle. Try it out and let me know how it goes. :)

9. Therian13

Therian13

Hello Chingwa!

I've come to bother you again! :p

I've come across a small bug(?) with suimono's underwater fog (around the skybox).
    At certain angles, the fog seems to turn off around the skybox is. I've tried changing the fog distance, increase the infinite ocean scale by 5 (since I thought I just dove deep enough to peek over the initial mesh).

But nothing seems to be working correctly. Is this a suimono issue or is it more of a Unity thing?

Sorry for the questions.

Suimono is awesome by the way! Best thing I bought! :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  10. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Therian13,

Hmm... this might be a bug. Here's a strange question... when this is occuring can you tell me the Y-position of your camera object? Is it below 0.0? I had fixed an issue like this a while back and the problem was the camera feeding in negative values to the shader. I just wonder if it's somehow popping up again... can you also tell me what version of Suimono you're using?

11. Therian13

Therian13

Hello,

I'm using the newest version (I update the moment it is available)

I have the ocean level at y=350;
    it does it at any character depth. but usually around the player y=175.

the bottom of the sea floor doesn't break into the negatives. the lowest I can go is at y=18.

*update*
    I changed the camera's local position to above 0, but it still does it.

12. Therian13

Therian13

oops. re-read your question.

camera is at -1.7 as a child of the player whose y value is the above mentioned.

13. Therian13

Therian13

I've also been getting an error for the caustics as well.

it says:

when I check the script, it is the :
    kind of strange that it is doing that now.

14. Morfeuskiev

Morfeuskiev

Thanks for very quick Reply. No. TOD rendering via Sphere mesh with atmospherics shader.
    Suimono_TOD_issues.jpg

I find issues. So if i understand - this is problems TOD?

With Best Regards, Leonid ;)

15. Therian13

Therian13

the caustic error seems to occur after a certain diving distance. I'm sure i'll figure that one out though.

16. Homer-Johnston

Homer-Johnston

Just want to mention that I would also love an update on converting to C#, I can probably do it myself with CSharpatron but always nice to have author support... I really like Suimono, but don't want the hassle of having JS files in my project, :( if it's not planned for the very near future, just let us know so that maybe we can figure out our own temporary solutions :)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    Arcanor and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  17. twobob

twobob

@Homer Johnston I have provided a (forked) 2.0.03 csharpatron conversion previously, CaptainMurphy has/is doing a hand-rolled effort for 2.0.0.5, The author has previously recvd at least one c# version of previous revisions. It is possible that CaptainMurphys may finally be "subsumed" as an Official c# version. I do not know.

Either way, the work is out there and perhaps hooking up with CaptainMurphy to see his progress might be in order.

If you do go down the csharpatron route I believe there were 4 Gotchas around Casting, a funky type, some detail of conversion and some internal Warnings that I could maybe dig up. nothing earth shattering. Aside from the regular Array conversions.

Hope it helps

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    chingwa likes this.
  18. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

No matter how you convert, there are a lot of 'Gotchas' that can only be hammered out through manual coding. I have 2.0.4 about 95% completed in C# and will be seeing what changed in 2.0.5 to update it soon. A lot of the issues I ran into didn't raise errors, but just didn't allow a lot of the functions to work right, specifically the effects. A lot of the collections have to be manually tweaked in order to make them work right, but it is getting closer to a full release state.

BackwoodsGaming, chingwa and twobob like this.
  19. Therian13

Therian13

update on my issue. I noticed that the lower I go, the worse the fog/skybox issue becomes. at shallow levels it barely breaks the top of the fog, but at deeper levels, it shows almost the entire skybox...

20. Homer-Johnston

Homer-Johnston

I've noticed with DX11 mode, the high-detail water surface doesn't blend with the far water surface. It'd be nice if there was a way to improve this! :)

chingwa likes this.
  21. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Homer,
    I was just trying this out on my end and I can't recreate this... though it certainly looks from your screenshot like the near ocean isn't fogging correctly the way the far ocean is. Can you give me your computer/unity specs? It may help narrow down this error...
    computer OS / Unity version / Suimono version / and whether you're in deferred / forward and linear / gamma ?

22. Homer-Johnston

Homer-Johnston

@chingwa thanks for the response, I'm using:
    Win 8 x64
    Unity 5.0 RC2
    Suimono 2.0.05
    It seems to happen regardless of Linear/Gamma/Deferred/Forward combinations.

The screenshot is from the editor scene camera, but the effect is noticeable the same in the game view camera (you would only be likely to notice it if you were up high on a cliff, for instance)

All I'm doing is creating a new blank project, importing Suimono, and loading the demo scene. Press play, press '1' to change modes... it works fine in every mode for me except Unity Pro (dx11). If you're sure it looks correct for you then let me know and I'll see if I can figure out what else might be different on my end. Here's another screenshot from really far away showing the final fade-out color (editor camera again)... http://i.gyazo.com/395dc52e061ed6a01d733245362856fc.png

twobob likes this.
  23. chingwa

chingwa

OK, after loading up in Unity 5.0 rc2 I can now see what you're seeing (I was checking in 4.x before)... Hmmm... a cursory glance at the shaders don't reveal any immediate reasons for this, but I'll look into it a bit deeper and get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks for the bug report and screenshots!

24. chingwa

chingwa

@Homer Johnston OK, I have a fix for this! The problem wasn't what I expected, but it's a pretty simple update. send me an email at konnichiwa[at]tanukidigital.com and I'll email you back a fix. It will also be incorporated into the next update as well.

Interestingly, this fix may have helped solve a few other issues I was banging my head against. :D

25. ncho

ncho

I just bought this and a bit confused. I'm getting tons of "Material doesn't have a float or range property" errors. Also, the shore line (where it connects to the terrain) jitters extremely upon moving the camera. I am using a 16x16km terrain, so quite big - might it be related to that? I also see no shoreline foam (is this an Unity Pro exclusive thing?). Finally, I am a bit unsure where the difference between "Infinite Ocean" is to the other settings. If I choose that settings, I see an ocean in the editor but not when playing. Is it supposed to be scaled up or not? It doesn't seem to make a difference in any case.

As the documentation is still a bit barebones I hope someone could help me out. Unity 4.6.3

26. chingwa

chingwa

Hi ncho, First double check that the Suimono "unity version target" setting is set correctly for your setup. the "Material..." errors you're getting point to the shader not being able to run correctly. If you are using the dx11 target, you need to also make sure your Unity editor is set to dx11 mode.

The other issues you mentioned may be due to the initial errors as well, meaning if there is problem in the beginning it may be affecting some functions in the middle and end of the suimono code. So first step is to get the errors cleared up.

as for the size, in a large terrain it's possible you could be running into Unity precision errors. The further away from the origin position of (0,0,0) the less precision the math behind Unity will have... jitter is often a symptom of this. If you can reorient your scene, or at least your player/camera closer to (0,0,0) it may help in this regard.

27. ncho

ncho

Thanks, I did some experiments and it seems to be terrain scaling issues, not necessarily floating point inaccuracy, at least from what I can see... Can there be more than one surface in a scene at a time? In that case tiling my terrain might help.

However there seems to be something inherently "jittery" about the algorithm in general. Even if I open up the demo scene, the waves on the beach have a somehow irregular, stuttery motion and the boat on the ocean also doesn't rock calmly, but appears to be shaking. Are these things that would improve with the effects from Unity Pro?

28. Morfeuskiev

Morfeuskiev

hi, chingwa

So, what about my issue?

Thanks in advanced.

29. chingwa

chingwa

30. chingwa

chingwa

@ncho - You can have as many water surfaces in your scene as you like, though I suggest that you only have one that is actually set to infinite ocean. The other should be set to "3D Waves" or "Flat Plane".

The demo scene shouldn't be jittery... can you possibly post a short video of what you're seeing?

31. Therian13

Therian13

hello Chingwa,
    I still haven't figured out what is going on with the fog at deeper depths.
    Do you have any ideas what may be causing it?

Thank you for the help!

32. Arcanor

Arcanor

I'd really like to hear from chingwa on this. Even if someone in the community comes up with a working C# port for Suimono, there's no guarantee it will be supported.

chingwa - are you planning to take over support of a C# version of Suimono, and maintain/distribute it into the future? Or will this port attempt by CaptainMurphy simply be a "one off" port that will have to be maintained by the community?

As far as distribution of the C# port goes, if you're NOT going to support/maintain a C# version of Suimono (and distribute it yourself via the asset store download), how should those of us who have a license for Suimono expect to receive such distributions (considering practical issues of file hosting, and verifying licensee membership)?

I, for one, badly need a C# version of Suimono, so that my C# game management scripts can do things like assign camera (SceneCameraObject) and player (SceneTrackObject) objects at RUNTIME when a new scene is loaded (since my camera and player are in my BASE scene, which doesn't include Suimono, and therefore can't be assigned in the Inspector at COMPILE time).

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  33. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I'm kind of in the same boat with my setup. I haven't purchased Suimono yet simply because I'm not to the point in my project where I need a final water solution (or sky solution). But ideally I'm looking for C# solutions that can be easily integrated and accessed via the rest of my project (if needed). So been waiting to see what evolves with CaptainMurphy's code and whether it is adopted as an official supported/included port within the Suimono package.

34. radimoto

radimoto

I've already purchased Suimono, however I would also like to request an official supported C# version!

35. Teila

Teila

I have to admit, not having C# is one reason I am waiting to buy this. I hope you will have a C# version in the near future.

36. elbows

elbows

Likewise, I'll wait and see if a C# version emerges before considering purchasing it.

37. chingwa

chingwa

Whoooaaa... It's the C# parade! :D

I do intend to support a C# version of Suimono. I'm not sure yet if I'll have this available on the asset store (I'll need to research logisitcs of supplying both in one download...), but it will definitely be available as a download for registered customers on my website. As for a time frame of when this will happen I really can't say with 100% accuracy, but I'll just fill everyone in a bit on my current plans for the next few Suimono updates...

Version 2.0.06 - This will be a smallish update with a few shader and bug fixes, some performance optimizations, and updates for Tenkoku compatability (Tenkoku isn't ready yet, but will be soon for those wondering). This update will be out within the week.

Version 2.0.07 - This entire update will be focused on the shoreline waves system. The current implementation has some issues, especially when used with the infinite ocean setting, and I think it's best to do a rewrite of how this works for better overall compatibility. I can't say for sure when this will be ready, but it'll at least be a couple weeks.

Version 2.0.08 - Barring any unforseen issues, I'll be looking into full c# conversion once the above system is in place.

@Therian13 - Hopefully I'll have an update for you in this regard soon.

John-G, BackwoodsGaming and twobob like this.
  38. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

I actually want the sky a lot more then i want suimono... the moment the sky comes out .. i buy both the sky and suimono. Other wise im just waiting with my wallet.

39. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

I feel like this is a stupid question, but I don't know the answer so I'll ask.

If I have a terrain generated at runtime, can I have this water system create the water right then and there based on factors like height? Or does it have to be done beforehand?

40. twobob

twobob

I am going to say "Yes."

Whilst it may be less of a pain to setup a prefab with "roughly" what you want, and just work from that; one could indeed laboriously setup every bedknob and broomstick, or indeed just instance up a couple of components at runtime and you should be good to go (Heh, is it ever like that?).

Caveat, I would do "Prefab", my actual knowledge on programmatically instantiating the correct components, in the correct order is hereby exhausted.

Caveat, better check with the actual author before making any kind of decision; in case this is all voodoo and I am horribly wrong ;)

41. chingwa

chingwa

Seems like you could just always have the water in your scene and then reposition it based on where you want the water height to be... but if you need to generate a water mesh on-the-fly it should be possible, theoretically. After all suimono surfaces are just using standard unity objects to render (mesh, material, shader etc). If you can generate a mesh programatically you can certainly feed it into the correct suimono slots. As long as the mesh is built properly with normals, uvs etc. it should work fine.

Though in the interest of full-disclosure, I haven't tested this on my end.

twobob likes this.
  42. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Alright, thanks for the info.

43. Morfeuskiev

Morfeuskiev

Hi, Justin.

I try Unity 5. Suimono work fine when only change on the camera clear flags to depth only or solid color. In skybox mode water is not rendering in Game View mode, but it see in scene view mode.

In latest version of suimono we see stuttering on detail plane in infiniti 3d ocean mode. Why you dont make your detail water plane and his uv move in world space ?

Thanks in advanced.

44. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Morfeuskiev,
    There are a few issues that I'm working on fixing in the latest Unity 5 release, and I should have an update soon. I'll look into this skybox issue... does this happen just in general or only with TimeOfDay?

For the stuttering, is this when you move around the scene, or when you are sitting still? does the following help...?
    a) switching to deferred rendering?
    b) removing all image effects from your camera?

45. sk8terboy4

sk8terboy4

I have the Unity 5 release and Im having some problems. I read the readme and followed the directions but I am able to walk on the water and foam is everywhere. also the foam color is not right. I'm using a skybox material and RTP if that helps. I am also in Linear color space.

Attached Files:

46. chingwa

chingwa

You're the second person in two days that said they were stuck walking on water. This MIGHT be a new bug, I'll have to investigate a little bit. Suimono should be disconnecting your water layer physics from your other physics layers which would solve this issue. I'll look into it. In the meantime, make sure of the following...

1) Suimono surface should be on the "water" layer.
    2) your character (and actually all your other scene objects) should NOT be on the water layer.

foam and fog currently have some issues with the latest Unity 5. In the meantime I recommend switching to deferred rendering, and if you have image fx on your scene camera I recommend temporarily turning them off.

47. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

does someone have latest version of suimono converted into C#

48. twobob

twobob

One person. Who as far as I know, has not finished it.

49. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

hello, does anyone know how to make the interactive controller work for a fp player?

50. twobob

twobob