Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

SUIMONO 2.0 - Interactive Water System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by chingwa, Jan 6, 2015.

1. chingwa

chingwa

SUIMONO 2.1 - Interactive Water System for Unity and Unity Pro
    Suimono Version 2.1 brings advanced water and ocean effects to the Unity Game Engine. Suimono gives you unprecedented control over all aspects of water generation. Quickly build everything from small pools and ponds, to rivers and even full oceans in just a matter of minutes. Customize every last detail of your water surface, from the way it looks in your scene to how it interacts with other scene game objects. Suimono 2.1 is simply the most accessible and advanced water system for Unity.

Video | Demo Download | Documentation PDF | Help Forum

Available Now on:
    Unity Asset Store ver 2.1.13

TanukiDigital.com ver 2.1.13

-------------------------
    INCLUDED FEATURES:

Codebase now in C#
    As of version 2.1.2, the Suimono codebase has been converted exclusively to C#!

Advanced Rendering
    Advanced and realistic water rendering with 3D projected waves, DX11 tesellation(optional), advanced foam rendering, dynamic reflections, refraction and blur effects and automatic screen transitions. Works with fog and all Unity image effects.

Scene Interaction
    Set up any game object in your scene to use Suimono's built-in interactive effects such as buoyancy, splashes, refractive ripples and sounds, or create your own effects.

Underwater FX
    Automatic underwater rendering including full-screen depth fogging, advanced caustics, blur, and screen refraction. Automatically add a whole new dimension to your scene.

Deep Customization
    You have control over all aspects of water visuals and behavior. The included custom UI is highly organized yet very advanced for power-users. Use the included preset system to load built-in water settings, or create and save your own!

Advanced Demo Scene
    Includes interactive game demo scene with multiple water surfaces, buoyancy and effects examples. Also includes demonstration on using boat and character objects with Suimono water surfaces.

Register your Purchase

By registering your Unity Asset Store purchase with Tanuki Digital you get immediate access to updates as they happen, as well as Suimono and Tanuki Digital news and information. Click here to register...

for further information about Suimono, please visit the below sites:
    SUIMONO HOMEPAGE

SUIMONO HELP FORUM
    SUIMONO DOCUMENTATION

Requirements:

Unity or Unity Pro version 5.0+, Works with PC/Mac Desktop and Webplayer

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    trilobyteme and Gozdek like this.
  2. chingwa

chingwa

Hello Everyone,

I'd like to thank everyone here on the forums who ever showed any interest in Suimono, asked me questions either via email or on the forums. I'd especially like to thank those who gave me there patience, trust, and feedback over the course of the Suimono 2.0 Beta. I'm happy to announce that version 2.0 is now available on the asset store, and the beta period has now come to a close!

What does this mean for current customers who are using Suimono version 1.48? It means you can head over to the store now and download the 2.0 update! Or better yet register at my website where you can get updates as soon as they are released. Please take note that this no minor revision, the entire system has been improved and redesigned, and it's essentially a brand new product!

Those who took part in the beta know the long road this was to get Suimono to the advanced state it is today. It was a road full of frustration and backtracking and rehashing, but I hope everyone can agree that a nugget of gold has come out of all that work!

So, what does this mean for Suimono in the future? Suimono 2.0 will continue to be improved and updated, with some major improvements already in the works. Automatic shoreline generation is undergoing a redesign and should be available in an update soon, and additional foam effects and optimizations are coming in the near future.

Unity 5 beta support is under investigation, and each beta release is being scrutinized for bug and compatibility issues. (currently compatibility stops with beta version 12... bugs bugs bugs!). Suimono will be compatible with Unity 5 once it get's to a more mature state.

So enough rambling. I'm just really excited to finally get this released and can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts. If you need tech help please take a look at the links above, or feel free to ask directly in this thread.

WHEW!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  3. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

cool one. waiting for Overview Video (soon)

4. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Have you tested with the occulus vr package? Can you forsee any problem with vr with your asset?

5. chingwa

chingwa

I haven't tested personally with Occulus, though I know there are a few customers who are using it just fine. From what I gather from their descriptions, when setting up Suimono you need to specifically tell it to track the master Occulus Camera, instead of the left or right cameras.

6. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

didnt realize there was a "master".. I only played with it a little. Is it as simple as dragging and dropping a game object into one of your scripts?

Also if u ever want to test you can download the unity package from the occulus site in the developer section. https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/

7. elias_t

elias_t

chingwa is the demo ok in terms of performance if it runs @3fps on an ati 5870 card?

8. John-G

John-G

The best water package available.

Love the way all water is accessible to the boat, was able to drive up the stream into pool from ocean :D

9. chingwa

chingwa

Yes, a simple drag and drop. You normally need to do this anyway to assign your scene camera to suimono, So the occulus package should be just as easy.

3fps?? that sounds pretty whack. I have a GTX 580 here and get between 45-70fps. The current demo is based on version 2.0.0, There have been some small improvements in the last couple updates, and I'm currently working on version 2.0.03, and have made some pretty big optimizations... I've noticed a good 10-15 fps jump in performance just from some of the shader updates I'm making. I'll be posting an updated demo once this version is out.

uhhh... I didn't know you could do that! I'm gonna go try it now :D Glad you're enjoying the latest version John!

10. lazygunn

lazygunn

Grats on the release, the demo looks lovely and runs very nicely on my card, it's been quite a journey in creation, hope it does great.

11. ThunderTruck

ThunderTruck

Really beautiful and works fine on Unity 4.6.
    But, @chingwa, are you really sure that the Unity's guys are working to correct the transparency issue in Unity 5, I'm waiting from the UB15.
    I did not find or read anything about it...

12. chingwa

chingwa

lazygunn - thanks for all your help!

ThunderTruck - I got a message this morning from a Unity tech saying the transparency issue will be fixed in Unity 5 beta version 20. Not sure when that will be coming out... maybe a month? I've been doing further investigation on my end to explore ways to get around this issue on my own... had have some progress so far, but still needs some work.

13. ThunderTruck

ThunderTruck

chingwa - Thank you so much, I wanted a confirmation, because I'm bringing all my projects on unity 5...

14. chingwa

chingwa

No problem... One way or another Suimono is going to be working in Unity 5 soon. :)

ThunderTruck and John-G like this.
  15. janpec

janpec

River and lake screens are absolutely perfect. Very neat white shores around and nice normals along with transparency not too strong nor too soft. Good job.

16. twobob

twobob

I get a pink blob in the demo.

shader wonky? (PC, Win 7 64, Nvdia GeForce GT 240)

(possibly a DX10 issue, hmm....)

PINK.JPG

17. chingwa

chingwa

Hmmm.... probably dx10, you're right! The demo is setup for dx11 I believe, so under dx10 it doesn't understand the dx11 code in that part of the ocean, oops! I've been working on a 2.0.03 update anyway; I'll put out a new demo with the revised code soon and make sure it detects the dx version so this won't happen.

18. twobob

twobob

19. norby

norby

Hi Chingwa

I am not able to run the mac Demo.( OSX Yosemite 10.10.1)
    there is probably a problem after unpacking the file.
    i have tried UnrarX and Stuffit. With Stuffit it says : The structure of the archive is damaged (Error #17540)
    With UnrarX i got :

Screen Shot 2015-01-12 at 10.05.53.png

thanks

Norby

20. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Norby. thanks for letting me know! I'm going to be posting an updated demo later today anyway. I'll double check it on Mac for any file issues beforehand. Stay tuned.

21. twobob

twobob

Great! reverse engineering the stubs in WaterPro 4 "Displace" is agony.
    Height of water? Come on. this is basic stuff...

Sigh, Time to get the wallet out.

22. Teila

Teila

Beautiful demo, Chingwa! I want this but am so afraid it will put performance over the top and my game will crawl. Still on my list though. I might have to wait for Unity 5 and the 64 bit editor though. :)

In the meantime, I enjoyed walking around on your virtual beach and driving the virtual boat. Very fun!

23. twobob

twobob

Have 5.
    Will do a "FPS test version" of the demo/assets, or maybe a webplayer + WebGL stack build with a visible FPS counter for testing purposes when I get my hands on it. (still have to save a few pennies though, budget is wiped out).

Looks excellent, would be nice to have a non dx11 3d perturbation (almost all of our target machines won't have that), perhaps this is an option? unsure.

24. chingwa

chingwa

Teila - thanks, glad you enjoyed the demo, that boating around never gets old. :D The updated demo out later today allows you to switch some of the water presets on-the-fly, so you can boat around on some super waves.

twobob - the dx9 waves also deform, they just aren't as detailed waveforms, especially in the infinite ocean setting.

25. Teila

Teila

I will have to try that! I actually prefer sailing in real life but that boat was fun! :)

26. twobob

twobob

Excellent. as long as I get the rough height data since managing a 3rd person camera is zero fun when you don't have it, as much fun as overriding by dynamically lerping the Gerstner Y value in a completely mystery class; when the specially crafted convex mesh collider is poked from below.

Which is the coding equivalent of sticking a very blunt spoon in your eye, short of breaking out the disassembler, the wallet seems like the better debugging option.

27. elias_t

elias_t

chingwa. I am still getting 3 fps on ati/amd 5870 and 6870 cards. win7 64 bit and win7 32 bit.

I already own suimono. But this performance worries me. Is the dem too heavy or something else?

28. chingwa

chingwa

elias_t - the demo is pretty heavy, mainly because of all the scene geometry it seems (trees rocks etc). All this stuff is supposed to be handled by Unity's static batching system but it seems like it's having some real problems in performance... I don't know if the batching isn't happening or what. I've been working on this today... on my end the base demo gives me between 45-80 fps... but when i turn off all the unnecessary scene geometry I get a jump to about 160 fps. o_O Don't think it's necessarily a suimono issue here...

Actually when I first start the demo I get about 25 fps, but after about 5 seconds it jumps up to normal range. seems like Unity is collating all the colliders or geo or.. something... I've been looking at ways of speeding this up. The new demo may not be out until I can get this sorted.

twobob - If you're interested, take a look at page 18 of the documentation here... http://www.tanukidigital.com/suimono/documentation/suimono2_documentation.pdf

A lot of typical functions such as buoyancy and clamping to a water surface are handled automatically by Suimono but the above data is also available from any world point if you need it.

29. chingwa

chingwa

Edit from my post above... I found the issue! It's the included sound fx and particle fx. When I remove them from the demo I get massive frame increases. From 45-80, to a consistent 75-150. :D Holy Hell!

I'm rebuilding the scene somewhat and will put up a new demo download asap.

John-G likes this.
  30. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

chingwa likes this.
  31. elbows

elbows

I'm looking forward to buying your water system once Unity 5 support is nicely sorted.

As for when beta 20 will be out, if they stick to their usual schedule and timing then it will be with us far sooner than in a months time, eg the end of this week or next week.

chingwa and twobob like this.
  32. Teila

Teila

Chingwa, was the demo made with Unity 5? I ask because it didn't work on two of our three computers. I suspect the other two (not mine) will have issues with Unity 5 and wondered if your demo made use of 5.

33. twobob

twobob

19 came out yesterday. I reckon a couple of weeks.

34. chingwa

chingwa

Teila - No, the demo is exported from 4.6. Currently it's locked to dx11 though, so if "not working" means it shows pink water than that's probably the issue. Or, do you mean it doesn't run at all...???
    The update lets you switch in-game between dx9 and dx11 (as well as the Unity / Unity Pro versions). I'm just sorting out some audio issues and will be posting soon.

twobob - yeah I also figure at least a week or two.

35. twobob

twobob

40k.JPG
    @chingwa Here is that - fairly large - water project I was talking about,

UnderseaArches.JPG

as you can see being underwater is not very exciting right now

lotsOfLife.JPG

even shoving a few hundred fish around us doesn't really cut it

fewHundredFish.JPG

Can't wait to see what your system makes of it!!!

I spent yesterday hacking together my own height detection (and thus buoyancy) system, but what a pain that really is. Not really that great to kludge something so fundamental.

WaterHeightDetection.JPG

Happy to never have to see the water4 again.

excite!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  36. chingwa

chingwa

twobob - your underwater visuals will be night and day after Suimono :D (oh, and I think every game needs dolphins!)

37. Teila

Teila

Ahh, it is dx11. :) Intel graphic processors do not play well with DX11. The i5 would not play it at all, wouldn't even run. The i7 ran it fine and the fps was the same as yours (about 25 fps), but he had some weird artifacts at fantastic that improved a little at good. Had he turned it down more it might have worked better.

I will have my daughter try it on her laptop later. Hers is also an i5 but newer. My son also has a lot on his computer..and he informed me today while he tried to put Maya student on his laptop for his college class. :) Maybe that is why it didn't run.

38. chingwa

chingwa

Updated Demo has been Posted!
    http://www.tanukidigital.com/suimono/demo2.0/

Includes the following updates:
    • Ability to switch between 5 different example presets for the ocean.
    • Switching the water mode between: Unity / Unity(dx11) / Unity Pro / Unity Pro(dx11).
    • Performance Improvements.

PC Demo is up now, and Mac demo will follow shortly. Mac demo is up now!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  39. Teila

Teila

Oops, my son now informs me that the website didn't load so he never downloaded it!! Geesh, last night he just told me it didn't run. Sorry about that!!! Kids!!!

chingwa and twobob like this.
  40. chingwa

chingwa

Hello All,

Suimono version 2.0.03 is now ready for download...

Download Here: http://www.tanukidigital.com/download
    (Available on the Asset Store Soon!)

In this release there have been some changes made to underlying shaders (in anticipation of Unity 5 fixes, though they aren't fully compatible yet). These changes should help speed up some performance but they also come with a small caveat, see note about BetterSkybox below. There have also been a number of improvements with reflections and lighting, preset handling, and overall performance improvements. Also, for those who were having difficulties with rotating water objects, I've now removed this "feature" and you can now rotate all water surface objects as before.

Water Scale note... When using the infinite ocean setting, please double check the new "Ocean Scale" setting for your water surface (it used to be named "infinite scale"). This setting is now active, and lets you control the overall size of the detail area of the infinite ocean. By default this should be set to1.0, but you can raise this up to whatever scale you need. Please note that the larger the scale, the more tesellation you will need to use to fill-in detail areas.

BetterSkybox note... There's a new folder called "_EXTRAS" and inside you'll find a work-in-progress asset called Better Skybox. This is a new asset I'll be selling on the store eventually, but I'll be including it for free for Suimono users. It replaces the built-in Unity skybox with it's own rendered skybox in order to fix some inherent depth deficiencies in the Unity skybox function. This may now be necessary for those using the infinite ocean setting in order to prevent the default skybox from bleeding over into the water. Please read the "readme" notes located in the BetterSkybox folder, and see the implementation of it in the demo scene (under the main scene camera) for more info.

Unity 5 beta notes... There is a confirmed bug in Unity5 beta 13+ that prevents Suimono from rendering properly. This bug still exists in the current Unity beta version 19. The Unity guys are on it and have said that this bug will be fixed in Unity 5 beta 20. I'm also working on a way around this bug on my end, in case Unity doesn't come through with the goods. For now I recommend using Unity 5 beta12 and below.

As always, let me know if you have problems/questions/feedback etc, either by email or on the forums!

UPDATE: 1/13/2015 - Suimono Version 2.0.03
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - NEW - Suimono now understands and displays current version number in UI. (It's become self aware!!!)
    - NEW - Pro only features greyed out in interface when not using Unity Pro.
    - NEW - Help and resource links added to UI interface.
    - NEW - Added "_EXTRAS" Folder with BetterSkybox version 0.1.
    - FIX - Shader optimizations and speed improvements.
    - FIX - Error with dynamic reflections coming "unstuck" while moving camera in the scene.
    - FIX - Removed rotation lock on infinite ocean setting in editor mode (still locked in play mode).
    - FIX - Water reflection no longer affected by direct light intensity (was causing dark surfaces).
    - FIX - Removed autoupdate of shoreline in infinite ocean mode because of framerate issues.
    - FIX - Re-enabled lateral buoyancy movement (i.e. movement with water flow and waves).
    - FIX - Errors when adding and deleting fx_Object rules.
    - FIX - Demo Trees now refracted by screen effects. (lighting shader adjustment)
    - FIX - Improved water Droplets rendering.
    - FIX - Screen effects (droplets etc) now layer properly with Water Surfaces and Skybox materials.
    - FIX - Improved Water Depth and Fog visuals in Forward Rendering.
    - FIX - Edited foam spread so less repeatable texture is visible.
    - FIX - "Infinite Scale" now called "Ocean Scale" and now correctly manages scale of near ocean.
    - FIX - Foam Shading no longer ranges out to black.
    - FIX - Better light attenuation on water surfaces.
    - FIX - Updated SetPreset() function for accessing presets from code.
    - FIX - Switching Preset File now no longer loads incorrect preset behavior.
    - FIX - Added PresetRepository setting for saving presets properly with builds.
    - FIX - Better preset handling and performance improvements.
    - FIX - Turned off displaying of unnecessary values on fx_buoyancy objects.
    - FIX - Updated UI: "Surface High Color" is now "Wave Height Blend" located under 3d waves panel.
    - FIX - Updated UI: "Renamed "Back Diffuse Color" to "Back Light Scatter". Spacing Adjustments.
    - FIX - Demo: Updated speed enhancements, preset and dx mode options, and removed some effects.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

John-G likes this.
  41. twobob

twobob

Exciting stuff. here's hoping r20 brings home the happiness on the transparency issue :)

Dropped you a PM.

42. chingwa

chingwa

Thanks a lot twobob! I'll check out those PMs soon... if you run into any issues let me know.

43. twobob

twobob

Just going to send some mail to your support mate.

EDIT: Sent, observations about changing the demo default mode to the most compatible one.
    (since it currently detects my dx10 card as dx11 compat and then fails)

A few 5.0 specific fails on the demo (mysterious blackness, transparency stuff, nothing new there), a note about your controller being inverted and some thoughts on tidying up some chuff.

Cheers.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  44. twobob

twobob

Resizing the demo window (game window in unity for example) makes the girl skip around on the terrain until you restart.

45. twobob

twobob

Bug found. sent you email. Should shave about 50ms a frame, possibly more. during each of the current Garbage surge events.

Basically it should fix this frame rate issue.

46. nipoco

nipoco

Man release the Mac demo already! I want to see all the glory by myself :)

47. elias_t

elias_t

ok chingwa.

The 3 fps problem is related that I am on 64 bit and your demo is compiled for 32 bit.
    Now I get 60-160 fps on an ati 5870 card.

Good Job!

I found some time and downloaded from your site the 2.0.3 version and made some quick tests in the editor (4.6.1p2)

I see a lot of resources are eaten by SuimonoObject.PresetUpdate() and fx_buyoancy.SetUpdate and fx_EffectObject.SetUpdate (see screenshot)

suimono.jpg

48. chingwa

chingwa

twobob - thanks looking into all these surges...

nipoco - yeah, I should have it updated tomorrow for mac. :)

elias_t - You and twobob and I should get together and throw a profiler party. :D Glad to hear the 3fps issue is sorted... not sure why the 32/64 bit would have such an impact though... I'm running 64bit here myself. mysteries. twobob has noticed the profiler issues as well and I'll be looking into some of these spikes and try reworking things asap. Thanks the profiling!

49. twobob

twobob

Yup, he's on that one. :)

I run 64 bit also. Did that the other machine you tested have either a) slow spinning rust, or cache/garbage cleanup issues. That is the most likely culprit so far for tiny FPS I can see :)

50. Teila

Teila

Okay, this demo is even better. Thank you for adding the dx9 mode to the demo. It looks great! I am in love with the Caribbean blue water. I could spend all day just sitting her listening to the sounds and watching the waves....and get nothing done at all. :) Very immersing, just want I need. It makes a great stress reliever!

I am going to try it later on multiple computers but I think with setting changes it will probably work.