Search Unity

Suggestions for game setting?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SeanGause, Jun 25, 2017.

1. SeanGause

SeanGause

Im making a survival game. Should I set it on a very large island? a peninsula like The Forest or just a large area surrounded by mountains (which is hard to make look good).

Ideas? Its not a fantasy game, so I want the environment to at least be a little realistic.

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

Without more information, it's nearly impossible to make a suggestion. You could set it on a cruise liner, I guess.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  3. SeanGause

SeanGause

Its a survival game, as mentioned before. Wilderness would be best, but survival on a cruise ship would also be interesting.

4. neoshaman

neoshaman

What about in space?

5. SeanGause

SeanGause

Interesting. Thats been done by No Man's Sky and though its a great idea, players would be hesitant to play another space-themed survival game.

6. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

No Man's Sky is not really your typical survival game. Osiris New Dawn is a better example (and seems popular)

If I were you I'd pick a different setting than the same one everyone else uses, which is a wilderness.

Outside of that I really have no recommendations for you--most people's "survival games" have a small amount of world interaction, and further, unique and active agents in the world. I would recommend something that incorporates that, so you could move to more populated settings (like a cruise liner). But I understand that's uncommon.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  7. Billy4184

Billy4184

Whatever floats your boat, I'd say. Personally I can't imagine not already having a strong motivation to do a particular kind of setting for a game. A lot of the mechanics and content will be tied to this choice so I think it's best to pick whatever you enjoy the most.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  8. thelebaron

thelebaron

While that may be a throwaway comment, to my knowledge that setting hasn't been done in games and could be rather interesting. I think actually with further thought it could be excellent, you have a perfect excuse to shunt off damaged/unreachable areas that are either yet to be developed and added later or for game progression-wise. A cruise ship is big enough for a good amount of explorable space while also having limits(which I think are a good thing in development).
    Lastly you wont have to rely on unitys terrain, which in my mind is one of the biggest anchors in trying to achieve a good looking game and breaking away from yet another unity engine game syndrome(compared to alternative solutions).

theANMATOR2b and Martin_H like this.
  9. neoshaman

neoshaman

What about inside a black hole?

10. Ryiah

Ryiah

People seem more than willing to play one zombie survival game after another. :p

Your idea reminded me of the movie The Poseidon Adventure. It would definitely be an interesting change of pace.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Poseidon_Adventure_(1972_film)

Martin_H likes this.
  11. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Agree - wilderness and jungle island settings have all been done and largely look/play similar.
    I think adding additional theme/purpose to the standard survival game is important for any 'survival' game to be successful at this point in time.
    Maybe survival with supernatural, space, extreme adventure, or some other theme that pushes the core survival game will help determine where the game setting should be.

EternalAmbiguity likes this.
  12. Teila

Teila

Just please...do not do zombies. :)