Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Submit Unity games to the Mac App Store!

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Randy-Edmonds, Dec 20, 2010.

1. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

That's strange :/ It worked fine for me. I use Mac OS X 10.7.3 Lion.

Anyway, I love your app :D

2. stanny

stanny

Can somebody update this? I am using latest xcode and the terminal command for 3b in the original thread does not work anymore. It says "--sign" is not recognized. So I can't sign it.

And also, I tired the .pkg and it installed to my Applications folder successfully but the icon is not there. I already replaced the file like in the original thread said.

After trying anyway to upload to application loader, 2 errors came out saying I have to sign with Installer certificate and also I need an icon in ICNS format. I already have that there, I just replace the original with a png 512x512 file renamed to UnityPlayer.icns right? That didn't help.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  3. arkon

arkon

I've just had an app rejected under the heading not sandboxed correctly! What does this mean? I released this app the exact same as the last one that had no problems. I'm using unity 3.5.2 has the procedure changed? How do you make a unity app sandboxed?

4. NomadKing

NomadKing

I gave an explanation of how to deal with sandboxing in another thread you can find Here.

It was an optional thing before, but Apple have made it mandatory for apps now (I remember getting an email about it a few weeks back)

5. ASMach

ASMach

I used the instructions shown here to package a Unity3.5.3 game for the App store, but I have the following problem: when I use Application Loader to send my package to Apple, I get the following error about 15 seconds in:

Code (csharp):
    2. The product archive is invalid. The application bundle does not contain an icon in ICNS format, containing a 1024x1024 image. For further assistance, see the Apple Human Interface Guidelines.
    The problem persists even if I use Img2icns to make a .icns file from a 1024x1024 image. This appears to be a new requirement specifically to cater to Retina MacBook Pro users. Please help, the entire game is finished, the demo is on my site, and all that stands between me and having this thing on the App Store is this image problem.

MachCUBED

6. NomadKing

NomadKing

I know your use a 1024 as input, but are you sure Img2Icons is producing a 1024 version in the icns file? I haven't used the program before, but I'd assume there are settings for what sizes you require as output and by default 1024 might not be part of that (since prior to the MacBook Retina there wouldn't be much use for an icon that size).

I usually use makeicns for my icns files, but it doesn't look like it supports 1024 in it's current version either.

7. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/batchconverter/id456747336?mt=12 --- Maybe this can help? I'm gonna use this for my next game...

EDIT:

I found a cheaper converter: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/super-image-converter/id492235346?mt=12

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  8. ASMach

ASMach

I tried both apps, but I can't seem to find the outputs when the output is set to .icns. This is despite being able to find them if the output is .png or some other format like that. My source images are.psd, for the record.

9. mindlube

mindlube

Can you find the .icns file? An icns file contains all the icons @ all sizes. Preview.app can preview it. You can also export individual bitmaps from preview app.

10. ASMach

ASMach

I can't find my .icns file. This is despite looking in my target directory for file output. If I set the output type to another format like .png, I can find my output files.

11. mattSydney

mattSydney

Yeah super image convertor doesn't seem to convert icns files properly. Did you have any success in getting your 1024 icns image?

12. ASMach

ASMach

Unfortunately, I didn't have any success :( I guess we'll all have to wait until Unity adds native support for 1024x1024 mac icon images.

13. cherub

cherub

I was able to use the latest icon composer. there is a button for 1024. the application loader error went away but there was no icon after the install test. I am guessing icon composer isn't adding the other sizes when you use the 1024 option.

...this unity/Mac app store thing is crazy screwd up.

14. ASMach

ASMach

The problem is that if I try to make and ICNS image, the ICNS file doesn't show up in the destination folder at all, nor does it show up anywhere else. Will try a clean build with 3.5.4 and see if it makes a retina image by default...

15. goodhustle

goodhustle

16. ASMach

ASMach

I think I'll just wait for Unity to catch up and focus on making a new iOS game in the meantime. Thanks for the link anyway, although it seems like all the textures will have to be redone at 2x resolution as well.

17. deepaknw

deepaknw

Hi did anyone came to solution for the 512x512@2x icon image for mac app store submission. I am struck at uploading the application to mac app store due to icon required for mac retina displayhttp://www.nextwavemultimedia.com/images/01.png

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  18. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

I'm going to try this now and return with my results.

this is the relevant information form the link provided by goodhustle above:

------------------

also read this:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  19. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

Yes! The iconutil worked a treat. My mac app is built signed and delivered to Apple. :)

Now we play the apple approval waiting game.

20. deepaknw

deepaknw

Hi antony we have created 512x512@2x icns file using iconutil but dont know how to add in the info.plist. can you please guide us to do the signing with the apple submission process.

21. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

I've set up a script that copies it over the top of the icon produced by unity. You can do this manually though.

Locate your built game from unity.
    Right click and click show package contents.
    Locate the icns file created by unity and simply name yours the same and paste it over the top.

Hope that helps.

22. deepaknw

deepaknw

Thanks alot... We are adding both icns file as 512x512.icns and 512x512@2x.icns. Now we have replaced with single 512x512@2x.icns and we are able to upload to mac app store. Once again thanks

23. ASMach

ASMach

I've just submitted my game to the App Store, but it says "Invalid Binary" on iTunesConnect. My .icns file has a 512x512 image and a 512x512@2x image in it. What's causing the "Invalid Binary" thing to show up in iTunes Connect, even though Application Loader seems to be able to upload it ok?

UPDATE: It was a signing problem. I will find the links that showed how to fix it and post them later.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  24. ZowPac

ZowPac

Hey - does anyone have a solution for making a 512x512@2x .icns file on OSX 10.5?

25. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

And finally approved... It took about 3 weeks to get into review and 3 hours to get approved... I think apple need to do something about the submission process soon, it's getting ridiculously long.

26. deepaknw

deepaknw

Antony Blackett, Did you sandboxed application using entitlements? Can you explain procedure to sandbox.

Thanks in advance

27. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

For anyone who has problems with the 1024 x 1024 icns files, here you go, I found a free app on the App Store, that can convert any image to an icon, and it works with 1024 x 1024: https://itunes.apple.com/si/app/retina-icon-binder/id554585050?mt=12 I have tested it, so far I did not come across any problems with it. Drag an image in, and drag it back out as an icns file. Good luck!

28. francksitbon

francksitbon

Argh does not work on Mac Os 10.6.8!!

I can't find any way to create .icns files without having to upgrate to lion!

Don't want to do it just for an icon!

29. francksitbon

francksitbon

Were can I find this iconutil prog ? I'm under osX 10.6.8 and Xcode 4.2
    I've searched all over google, did not find anything working with my os :-(

30. Ferazel

Ferazel

Ok, I spent too much time on this, so I just wanted to warn anyone else who is having problems.
    You can create the icons using the iconsutil terminal (if you have 10.7 or later) however be sure that you actually set your @2x images to be 144 DPI using preview size tool. Simply renaming the 1024 image as 512x512@2x wasn't good enough and kept stopping me from uploading. You need to actually set up all of the icons and make sure that the DPI on the icons is set to 144 for those that are going to be 2x. I hope that saves someone a headache. Good luck!

31. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

I use several of Prime31's plugins one of them for Mac came with a signing tool that makes it easy to add entitlements etc. Sorry I'm not more help but I'm sure it's documented in the apple docs. Most things are handled via terminal commands and c# + Unity makes it easy to script these into the editor as a simple menu option after you make a build.

32. deepaknw

deepaknw

Thanks Antony.. Will try with Prime31 plugins.

33. josemauriciob

josemauriciob

thanks you ... but
    I use unity 3.5.6 and sandboxing, code singing etc , etc etc ... I need please how ( step by steep ) to make and add the right icon please.

i use the free @2x free macstore app, and replace the icon.icns and try to submit, i am using OSX 10.8.1.
    i make the pakage with the terminal, etc etc ... and my unic problem for 5 days is this: ( picture )

please help, i will apreciate that.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  34. Ferazel

Ferazel

If you're running on OS X (10.7 or 10.8) with the later versions of XCode installed you should have a terminal command called iconutil. What you need to do is as described in the Apple developer document. You make a folder called "icons.iconset" and in that directory you need to make the names of the images (and DPIs) as described in that document.

http://developer.apple.com/library/.../HighResolutionOSX/Optimizing/Optimizing.html

Make a folder named UnityPlayer.iconset (or whatever your info.plist is setup to show) with the following image names inside. Make sure it has the iconset extension.

icon_16x16.png
    icon_16x16@2x.png
    icon_32x32.png
    icon_32x32@2x.png
    icon_128x128.png
    icon_128x128@2x.png
    icon_256x256.png
    icon_256x256@2x.png
    icon_512x512.png
    icon_512x512@2x.png

Make sure that the @2x images are sized 2X the image the name says. So 512x512@2x is actually a 1024x1024 image with 144 dpi.

From terminal navigate to the directory where the .iconset directory is located and perform the following command:
    iconutil -c icns UnityPlayer.iconset

This will output a .icns file. Replace this .icns file inside of the Unity exported package (right-click Show Package Contents) Contents/Resources/UnityPlayer.icns

Then perform the signing and sandboxing commands needed for your app. Then upload to the App store.
    Hope that helps.

35. mattSydney

mattSydney

I have to say that preparing an app for the Mac App Store using Unity is a very frustrating and difficult process. How can something that appears to be simple be so damn hard

36. colargol

colargol

37. cobaltBlue

cobaltBlue

Hi I'm about to submit my game to the mac store for the 1st time, just wanted to ask how much of the info posted in the 1st post is still relevant (it is about 2 yrs old) thanks in advance... to the kind soul that replies :)

38. LukaLi

LukaLi

Hi Antony,

I managed to create the .icns files and it does contain 512x512 and 512x512@2x icns file . But we still get the error "the application bundle does not contain an icon in ICNS format, containing both a 512x512 and a 512x512@2x image."
    Need we do some extra steps to connect these icns files with Xcode bundle? Really need your help~

39. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Have you renamed the icns file or are keeping orignal "UnityPlayer.icns"? If you rename it you should update Info.plist accordingly.

40. LukaLi

LukaLi

Hi Mantas, we renamed the icns file and also updated it in Info.plist with the key CFBundleIconFile, is that right?

41. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Hmz, please post your icns file here if not a super secret project (or drop a link via PM).

42. LukaLi

LukaLi

Hi ,
    Thank god it's ok now. I put only 512x512 and 512x512@2x into the icns file, instead of all the other sizes.Then it passed the validation...too strange, I haven't heard of such kind of problem before

43. LukaLi

LukaLi

Hi,

Is there anybody meeting problem for sandboxing about the services?
    There's a path under the sandbox container named services(~/Container/Services) where you can put your own service file.
    But seems these files did not take effect for our app. We meant to have some right-click services options with these files.
    Do anyone know is it possible to make these services into effect?

44. goldbug

goldbug

I did all the steps, the binary installs properly in my computer, the icns has a 512x512@2x texture, application loader does not report any problem at all.

and yet, itunesconnect immediately reports "Invalid Binary", no details whatsoever on what makes it invalid. Anyone has any clue what this means?

Update: It turns out they sent me an email explaining why the binary was invalid, but gmail put it in the spam folder. So if you get the same thing, check your spam folder

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  45. CompostForMe

CompostForMe

i have followed this tutorial and everything has go smoothly. But i didn't know that know all apps have to be sandboxed for the mac app store, so it rejected my app bundle. can anyone help me!?

46. oinkoinkflapflap

oinkoinkflapflap

i've put codesign -f -v -s "3rd Party Mac Developer Application: (name)" "/temptemp/Applications Zombo Defence.app" but it says no such file or directory, what am i doing wrong? because it is there!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  47. handsgame

handsgame

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  48. oinkoinkflapflap

oinkoinkflapflap

hi all, i tried signing my 'libmono.0' but terminal came up with: object file format unrecognized, invalid, or unsuitable

has something changed? i gave up trying to get my long project of a mac app game online, spent all that time making a game on unity to be stuck at this last hurdle, gave up a few months ago now trying again, my original problem was that application loader was saying: Invalid signature - the main app bundle ${bundleName} is not signed. but it is! or i signed it! any help would be great!

49. iossif

iossif

i need to revive this thread...

did anyone of you implement gamecenter into the submitted apps? i am in code signing hell and the application loader won't accept the gamecenter entitlement :(

50. vik111

vik111

Hello Rendy.

I have done all the steps but i am getting the error like "Your application bundle mush install to '/Application' ".

Please Help how can i sort it out please somebody help me.