Search Unity

Assets Stylized Fantasy Village

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Elzean, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Elzean

Elzean

There is a good amount of fantasy village pack out there, but i'd like to make one too. Do you guys think you would still be interested in buying such a pack ?

Here is what i have so far it's just a simple test in unity to see how it would look:
    upload_2017-4-24_23-4-15.png

Some of the piece used for this house:
    upload_2017-4-24_23-6-4.png

Im making the texture with a substance so i should be able to offer some customization options:
    upload_2017-4-24_23-7-2.png

A lot still need to be done to have a pack but let me know what you think and if its worth continuing :)

Thanks!

tylerguitar75, judah4, yaezah and 3 others like this.
  2. Elzean

Elzean

Another shot with a bit more stuff:
    upload_2017-4-25_1-26-48.png

tylerguitar75 likes this.
  3. roykoma

roykoma

I love what I am seeing. There are many of those sets around, but none with that style.

Exactly what I am looking for currently.
    What price are you thinking of? And what will the pack contain? A diversity like this pack would be really nice and an initial go-buy for me: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/76043

Keep us updated. Great work!

BobOfTibia and Elzean like this.
  4. Elzean

Elzean

I don't know really know for the price yet, will have to see once i near complete and compare with other package.

Here is some addition with a stone texture/models:
    upload_2017-4-25_18-32-3.png

5. roykoma

roykoma

Looks great too! How are the doors going to look like? On most packages the doorknobs are only painted/textured on. Are yours going to be 3D? I'd really love this, as it would make this so much more useful for first person.

Multiple versions (LOD) would be cool too of course, but thats a lot of work.

If you are looking for a tester at one point - I'd gladly do that.

Greetings

6. Elzean

Elzean

Door should be 3d object yes. I could add LOD for objects that have high polycount.

I have lot more objects to make for this pack. Later i would like to make additional packs like Graveyard/Market/Interior that could fit this one.

Here is another screen, right now i dont have anything to create a landscape (trees, grass, bush, etc) so its like an island(water is from standard unity assets), but i would like to make another scene with landscape later.

upload_2017-4-27_18-59-54.png

tylerguitar75 likes this.
  7. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Reminds me of the style of the visuals in Runescape, I like it!

tylerguitar75 and Elzean like this.
  8. Elzean

Elzean

Here is a first simple door, i will make more:

upload_2017-4-28_11-6-30.png

Right now this is one side only, so you can't really open this door, i will probably make another version with both side at some point later.

It is possible to make interior mix with the exterior part but its kind of difficult, but i'd like to keep it "possible" but i would suggest a system more like in Skyrim where you click a door and enter a house which simplify your life by a lot, not only about building the house itself but managing lighting too.

Farelle likes this.
  9. Elzean

Elzean

Here another 2 screens of the demo scene:

upload_2017-4-28_12-57-50.png

upload_2017-4-28_13-1-34.png

I may release a first version of the pack once this scene is done, and then update the pack with some trees/bush along with fixing stuff depending on feedbacks.

I'm still not sure about pricing :/
    For moment there is about 75 models and around 10 substances (some packed into small atlases)

Im working on adding more models for buildings and a few props such as crates/barrels and few other smaller details.

alexanderameye likes this.
  10. roykoma

roykoma

I love the door!

I think an interior could be just in another scene just like skyrim - as you mentioned. Something containing walls, furniture, doors windows(people will love you if they can choose between transparent and not transparent windows), stairs, a few props for decoration and stuff like this. But first concentrate on making this one really good!

Will it be possible to change colors? (Walls, roofs, doors etc) .

A few street signs, shop signs and street lights/lanterns would be cool too

11. Elzean

Elzean

Yes i will try to keep the possibility for interior so i will try to make variation for transparent window too (and i i forget some i would add them then)
    For interiors props and furniture i think i would do a separate package as it sounds like a lot more models/textures would be needed :p

Yes colors can be change, i still need to work on the substance a bit but then not only colors but a few other options like shape of roof tiles a bit and brick walls too. The plaster wall have a "age" option that add a bit of dirt on it for example.

Yes i plan to do street signs and light/lanterns within this package to have at least some basics stuff to decorate a bit.

12. Elzean

Elzean

About the substances, here is an example on one i'm selling on the store:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/88394

As you can see with 1 substance you can achieve many looks, the substance i currently have in the village pack are not as complex as the ones i'm selling separatly but they will still offer some degree of customisations.

I'm also testing a way so that you could easily replace the texture that are in the atlas with your own tiling texture or with my other separate substance, lets say you want a complete different roof which currently is part of an atlas then you could input another tiling texture which would just be replace correctly in the atlas. But i still need to test if it can work the way i think, so will see if that possible :p

13. kkrac

kkrac

Nice!
    What tool have you used? How much time did it take to create this?

ahhh you 3d modelers... I'm so jealous... I can't understand how you do those kind of things. I can barely draw a circle.

Elzean and alexanderameye like this.
  14. Elzean

Elzean

Hey thanks, it's been about a week i think. I use blender for modeling and substance designer for textures. I have a technical background, substance designer is great to make texture even for "non artist".

You should try 3d, in some degree it's easier than actually drawing :p Actually a lot of artists make some basics shapes in 3d and draw on top of it it it helps a lot with perspective.

15. Elzean

Elzean

New WIP screen with a few new models :)

upload_2017-4-29_10-50-43.png

16. Elzean

Elzean

Few more things like the chimneys:

upload_2017-4-29_18-44-11.png

17. Elzean

Elzean

Something great with substances, is that this entire package (models, textures, scene...) are about 11MB, it's really nice for my hard disk first but also when i push to git (my connection is not super fast) :)

In some other projects i worked on a single texture could be more than that :p

18. Elzean

Elzean

You will be able to create some large buildings like the one in the background here:

Capture3.JPG

Capture2.JPG

19. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

I think the moss between the stones is a bit too present. Buildings look good though! I bet if you try out this asset on it, it will look magical!

20. Elzean

Elzean

You will have an option to adjust it :)
    upload_2017-5-1_19-54-54.png

In this scene i use lots of floor square plane, it should be easier to blend grass/pavement on a terrain

21. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Oh alright, awesome!

22. Elzean

Elzean

I tried to reduce it a bit in some area, i will see once i have some more objects around :p

upload_2017-5-1_20-14-29.png

23. Elzean

Elzean

Yes Ivy in this environment would look pretty cool :)

24. Elzean

Elzean

Speaking of substance, you will also get the one i use for create the smoke particle texture:
    upload_2017-5-1_20-24-54.png

upload_2017-5-1_20-25-16.png

It's not too hard to use you will have to experiment with the values you can end up with some interesting shapes :p

25. Elzean

Elzean

Testing at night, right now all widows lights are on, i will try to adjust so you can have options to turn some off:

upload_2017-5-3_17-3-35.png

upload_2017-5-3_17-4-6.png

upload_2017-5-3_17-5-37.png

Should look better with something like "time of day" or other sky asset out there my current skybox is pretty ugly and unity doesn't have a default night skybox as far as i know :/

26. Elzean

Elzean

since you cant really see much on the night screens here is one during daytime with the current progress:

upload_2017-5-3_17-22-30.png

27. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

I like the fog and the smoke! Looks great! I think the white parts of the walls look a bit too 'clean' though, some variation (stains, cracks,...) would be cool! Also, maybe add some barrels, crates,... on the docks?

28. Elzean

Elzean

I have a basic age slider for this wall:

upload_2017-5-3_19-17-20.png
    upload_2017-5-3_19-33-35.png
    upload_2017-5-3_19-35-10.png

but its not really nice i will have to work on those texture options, may be after first release as i would like to have some feedback about overall usability too.

Need less horrorish look and some cracks :p

Attached Files:

BobOfTibia and alexanderameye like this.
  29. Elzean

Elzean

Something else i talked a bit about before is the option to input your own textures.

here is the original atlas:
    upload_2017-5-3_20-52-15.png

And one of the walls in game:
    upload_2017-5-3_20-53-13.png

then you select the option to "customize material 4" in the substance and drag your own textures in the new slots:
    upload_2017-5-3_20-50-43.png

the atlas update (bottom right part here):
    upload_2017-5-3_20-51-18.png

And the new wall with your texture appear:
    upload_2017-5-3_20-49-24.png

In this case i was using one of my other substance, i exported the output as bitmaps and drag them to the inputs.

It still in progress i will try to add this option for the main parts of the atlas (walls / roof tiles)

BobOfTibia likes this.
  30. Elzean

Elzean

Some more progress, i hope you dont mind those small updates, i like to go back to earlier post and see how it changed :)

upload_2017-5-3_23-32-12.png

BobOfTibia likes this.
  31. Elzean

Elzean

i think im finally getting some decent night time shots:

upload_2017-5-4_1-6-25.png
    upload_2017-5-4_1-8-30.png

BobOfTibia likes this.
  32. Elzean

Elzean

Finally some barrels :)

upload_2017-5-4_23-18-18.png
    upload_2017-5-4_23-19-18.png

33. Elzean

Elzean

New screen of a wood house :)

upload_2017-5-5_23-40-47.png

34. BobOfTibia

BobOfTibia

This pack is awesome so far, and excites me greatly.

I'm thoroughly going to be watching the progress you make, so when you're done, I can grab this up.

Elzean likes this.
  35. Elzean

Elzean

Here is another wood house example:

upload_2017-5-6_23-10-40.png

alexanderameye and BobOfTibia like this.
  36. BobOfTibia

BobOfTibia

That looks really neat, are the houses and bridge parts interchangeable?
    Also, do you plan on adding animals hides/have an animal hide pack?

37. Elzean

Elzean

I tried to "explode" the house a bit so you can see some pieces:
    upload_2017-5-7_1-8-13.png

It will take a bit of learning to use the pack i guess, but i try to give a good scene as example.

I will see about animals hides and other props(wanted to add some fishes or something). At first i wanted to focus on modular houses i ended up doing more than i expected XD

I will add some more props, but i also plan to create separate assets later on that focus on particular sets (market, graveyard, ...).

I would like to be able to put this pack online soon to help me keep on going and to get feedbacks to improve the next stuff i do :)

BobOfTibia likes this.
  38. Elzean

Elzean

Same house at night:

upload_2017-5-7_1-49-26.png

BobOfTibia likes this.
  39. BobOfTibia

BobOfTibia

The picture pretty much summed up what I was hoping to know, haha. That's quite awesome, and several of the parts from your pack, currently match up almost for a 1 for 1 of what I was seeking out.

And I'll definitely help support the pack as soon as it's up.

By the way, do you plan on taking commissions at some point? Maybe piece per piece work, or smaller packs?

40. Elzean

Elzean

I'm glad you like it.
    I didnt think much about commissions, may be for some small pieces. If it was an object that doesnt require much i could simply add it to a pack.

I would like to make more assets if this one work out.

About this asset price, i tried to research the asset store for similar packages. There is all sort of prices, i was thinking 50$, does that sounds fair to you guys ?

Right now there is about 220 models, there is a prefab for each but then some more prebuild prefab stuff. I will also add some full houses prefabs.

theres is 3 2k atlas, made with substances. most textures that appear in the atlas can also be use by themself. Most textures have at least a few options to customize some things such as color, roughness.

Obviously you will also get the scene i keep showing on this thread.

I'm will add some more models but i would like to submit the first version for review soon, so let me know what you think :)

41. BobOfTibia

BobOfTibia

Absolutely, 50$ sounds extremely fair for so much hard work and such a quality pack. Not to mention the style is vastly different from all the other fantasy type packs out.

As for what I was hoping for in commissioning, or even seeing added to the pack was a Draw-Well, such as this attached image.

Can't wait to see your pack!

Attached Files:

Elzean likes this.
  42. Elzean

Elzean

Yes i should be able to add a well probably with an optional small roof thingy they often have.

BobOfTibia likes this.
  43. roykoma

roykoma

50$ sounds totaly fair for me too! I'll buy as soon as its June and you release it (no money this month)

Keep up the great work!

Elzean likes this.
  44. Elzean

Elzean

I will send a first version for review tomorrow, after release it should be followed by an update as i have a few more things i would like to add :)

s05.JPG
    s10.JPG

45. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

None of the buildings are enterable yet right?

46. Elzean

Elzean

The few prefab houses i made and any of those in the scene are not, but it's not completly impossible even with the current state. I will try to add some stuff to have more option for transparent windows cause currently most of the windows are just mesh you can put on any wall (more convenient).

The main reason is i wanted to be able to make "original" houses, and its nearly impossible to make a house such as the wood one, being modular and have interior. Lots of stuff passing throw. You will notice that most package that have this feature are very "geometric" and for good reasons :)

But with some work it is possible to do it, you will have to be carefull of shape and inventive to hide some parts. Also you will be a bit more limited because of it.

Here is an example:
    upload_2017-5-9_2-7-53.png

upload_2017-5-9_2-8-26.png

I don't want to block you guys from doing so i will try to add a few more window that can be transparent, a few are already. I just also don't want to call it a feature of the pack to avoid angry customers :p

Also if you try the pack and you feel you need another type of wall shape / size for example it should be fine to add it in. As long as it's not something crazy and doesn't require a new texture.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  47. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Even if it's not that modular, just enterable is awesome!

48. Elzean

Elzean

Here is the shot of the pieces, 237 raw pieces for moment (there is more prefabs):

upload_2017-5-9_2-41-48.png

49. BobOfTibia

BobOfTibia

Man, I'm super excited for your pack, and agreed, even if not completely modular by design, being able to jimmy-rig it is still nice, as more than likely, I'm going to mix and match with some other assets as well.

Also, quick question, do you have any lesser roofs included? Such as one with Straw/Thatch? Most roofs included seem to be higher quality roofing, if not it doesn't degrade the pack in anyway, it's still going into my library of course.

50. Elzean

Elzean

I have a space in the house atlas for a secondary roof within the same atlas, right now its a copy of the same blue roof there but i plan to add another type of roof with a different type of tile. I also need to uv map a copy of all the roof object on it.
    I had so though about the type of roof you are talking about when i made the wood type of houses, i will have to try to make a texture and see how it looks when map on those roof pieces. So i may give it a try at some point.
    Also i was wondering about making a more "country-side" / farm village pack later where this kind of roof would fit well.

Right now i have a few things to add / fix, i need to make a few more models like the draw-well, different doors and adjust the substances to expose more options :)