Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Stereoscopic with 5.6 Video Player?

Discussion in '5.6 Beta' started by Egil-Sandfeld, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Egil-Sandfeld

Egil-Sandfeld

Hey all. I didn't catch if the new Video Player in 5.6 Beta has the possibility to run stereoscopic 360 video?

If it's possible, I know how to run monoscopic video in VR, but am looking for a solution on how to force the video player to stereoscopic, or how to set this up? Use two spheres and two cameras? It's for a GearVR project.

If the video player currently doesn't support it, do you have any idea when it will be possible?

I know assets like AVPro and EasyMovieTexture can set it up, but I am hoping for support of stereoscopic material by Unity self :)

Thanks in advance!

2. RobBrooks

RobBrooks

Yes. 2 spheres and 2 cameras is the way I'm doing it right now.
    Obviously each sphere has to be appropriately uv mapped to the appropriate part of the video texture OR you can use the your Material's Tiling and Offset settings to reposition the sampling to the correct half ( I'm using over/under ) of the texture.

3. Egil-Sandfeld

Egil-Sandfeld

Hi Rob. Thanks for your answer!
    But isn't this very taxing projecting the same video clip on to two spheres?

4. rahuxx

rahuxx

then suggest better option sir.
    rahu

5. Egil-Sandfeld

Egil-Sandfeld

It could be that there was a special way to "send" the video from just one Video Player to two spheres, instead of triggering two Video Players on two spheres to run each half of the video?

6. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Maybe you could set a single Video Player to render to a Render Texture and use this texture on both spheres?

7. Egil-Sandfeld

Egil-Sandfeld

Yes exactly, LeonhardP! I figured this as well, and thanks for confirming. Then we just need video player to work with Android and I'm good to go :)

8. rahuxx

rahuxx

can you put example video or project?

9. Egil-Sandfeld

Egil-Sandfeld

Create a Render Texture, create a material for the left sphere and one for the right sphere. Apply the render texture as texture to the left and right materials. Add left material to the left sphere, and similar for right. Adjust tiling and offsets on both materials to properly displaying the content in each sphere.
    In the single video player send the content to the Render Texture you have created which now set on both materials.

That's roughly it

rahuxx likes this.
  10. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

material tiling and offset working fine for me. but if unity give native support then would be awesome. also HTTP streaming would be great.

11. Wim-Wouters

Wim-Wouters

Building for Gear VR (Android)
    There seems to be a problem in the build with 2 camera's (Left-eye / right-eye). Only one eye renders the camera, the other one just flashes the unity splash logo...

If I do exactly the same setup with Unity5.5 everything is OK.
    Bug reported...

Edit: Tried the same for cardboard build in 5.6... same problem, only one camera renders...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  12. izm1252

izm1252

13. pojoih

pojoih