Search Unity

SteamVR (Vive) deferred without reflection probes (Unity 5.3.4) (Solved)

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by jvo3dc, Oct 20, 2016.

1. jvo3dc

jvo3dc

I have a bit of a specific issue. I just did a little test with Unity on the Vive. Very easy to set up, so that's great.

The SteamVR plugin advises to use forward rendering, but I want to use deferred instead. (So I can match the deferred reflections from Unreal.) So I put everything to the advised setting, except the rendering path, which works fine on the Vive. Reflections don't show up at all however. They do show in the scene view and when running in the editor, but fully reflective objects just appear black on the Vive.

Has anyone experience the same issue?

2. jvo3dc

jvo3dc

I'm guessing the rendering path might get forced to forward, but that might be because of the lacking OpenVR support in 5.3.4. I'll continue with 5.4 and see how that goes. The SteamVR plugin makes a clear difference between 5.4 mode and pre 5.4 mode, though it does not seem to override the rendering path.

3. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

It is advised to use Forward rendering so you can use MSAA(X8).
    Antialiasing is a big problem in vr and if you do not have a good solution for it, it will show.

4. jvo3dc

jvo3dc

Yes, I know, but it's not an option to lose deferred reflections. In terms of AA my intention is to use TAA. I'm working on getting that set up correctly for VR.

I upgraded the project to 5.4 now and the reflection probes seem to work. Now working on getting TAA and planar reflections separated for a stereo camera.