Search Unity

SteamVR - Quickstart: Expand Camera not working

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Kaibear, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Kaibear

Kaibear

Hi guys,

I started developing in Unity and downloaded the SteamVR asset and tried to follow the quickstart sheet, Valve provided within the asset.

But whenever I add the SteamVR_Camera script to my Main_Cameraobject and hit "Expand" (as suggested by the quickstart), the Main_Cameraitself won't be replaced by the 3 parts hierarchy (Main_Camera/Main_Camera(Origin)/Main_Camera(Head)).
    Instead it creates the bulk "Main_Camera(Origin)/Main_Camera(Head)" while Main_Camera is a separate object on the same hierarchy level. This obviously wrong setup also leads to an error:

MissingComponentException: There is no 'Camera' attached to the "Main Camera (head)" game object, but a script is trying to access it.
    You probably need to add a Camera to the game object "Main Camera (head)". Or your script needs to check if the component is attached before using it.
    SteamVR_Camera.Expand () (at Assets/SteamVR/Scripts/SteamVR_Camera.cs:185)
    SteamVR_Editor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/SteamVR/Editor/SteamVR_Editor.cs:74)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor editor, Int32 editorIndex, Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1235)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

Adding the new bulk manually to the Main_Camera does not work either to fix it. In addition further object information (which maybe are inherited) are missing in the bulk-objects.

Here are some screenshots of that:

http://imgur.com/a/2gYAP

In addition SteamVR_CameraFlip is not loading, as it's to old (is it obsolote?):

SteamVR_CameraFlip is deprecated in Unity 5.4 - REMOVING
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    SteamVR_CameraFlip:Awake() (at Assets/SteamVR/Scripts/SteamVR_CameraFlip.cs:14)
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

Using Unity 5.4.1. and wanted to ask this question in Unity Answers, but for some reason I can't insert topics as my topic selection is always empty even using every character given in latin languages.

2. jvo3dc

jvo3dc

Have you tried just using the [CameraRig] prefab instead? That worked for me, but in 5.3.4.

Kaibear likes this.
  3. Kaibear

Kaibear

Haven't tried it before. But now it's working fine! Thanks for that, wasn't seeing any prefabs for instant usage...