Search Unity

SteamVR generic rig vs Interaction System vs Vive Input Utility ?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by guru20, Jun 21, 2017.

1. guru20

guru20

I am working on a VR game for Vive, and have been using the general SteamVR rig that came with the initial SteamVR plugin... I notice most online scripts and tutorials are based around that system, so I have been using it to make a homegrown solution by accessing all of the input events and data directly...

However, I noticed that there are other very useful input/interaction tools ALSO put out by HTC / Vive, yet they all seem to be differently-implemented frameworks that aren't compatible with each other:

1) I like some of the built-in features of the "InteractionSystem" that now comes with the SteamVR plugin... BUT I am finding it much more difficult to extend and customize. Has anybody had good success with doing so? It doesn't seem to allow the same methods for accessing the controllers and inputs...

2) The Vive Input Utility seems a little less abstract than the InteractionSystem, but once again does things differently.

Has anybody found a good way to combine or extend these into one full-featured system? (I'd like to allow things like the raycasting/UI features of the Vive Input Utility while also allowing functionality like the bow/archery tool from InteractionSystem, which works very well. Likewise, I would need to change/extend the teleportation tools of the InteractionSystem, as it seems designed pretty much only for designated-destination points/areas, rather than, say, anywhere on a tagged floor. I'm not as worried about the pickup/interact components, as I have already developed a solution for grabbing, throwing, etc., as well as a mechanism for animated hand closing based on trigger input)

Any advice? (or even just links to good tutorials or documentation for Input Utility or InteractionSystem, because documentation for both seems pretty sparse...)

2. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

I'm not sure there are a lot of tutorials or documentation for the sdks you mention. Have you tried VRTK it has good documentation/examples. The only thing you listed above it wouldn't do without adding things is the bow/archery one.

3. guru20

guru20

Thanks... yes, I do also have the VRTK (and I am using a teleport system similar to that one)
    It actually does have a bow and arrow example, which I may end up using, but the SteamVR Interactions plugin one really is top-notch -- was hoping to use that as the base for physics, interface, sound effects... maybe just customize the model(s)

4. jabevan

jabevan

I have a kind of similar question. I've heard others say that the new SteamVR method is to use the Player (SteamVR>InteractionSystem>Core>Prefabs) rather than the CameraRig. But is the Player compatible with VRTK?

For example, the VRTK_Interact Grab (Script) looks for a Rigidbody for the Controller Attach Point. It doesn't seem that the Player controllers have Rigidbody.

I'm using an asset from the store that was previously using the SteamVR interaction system (with the Player) and has now changed to VRTK, but the change broke my ability to grab objects. I'm having a really hard time troubleshooting the issue with all the variables involved.

5. guru20

guru20

That's the problem -- no, it doesn't appear that the new InteractionSystem player is backwards-compatible with the old CameraRig / Player setup. Rather than being a wrapper or extension to extend the functionality of the old rig, the InteractionSystem seems redesigned completely, which is the problem -- it does a few pre-defined features very well, but is very difficult to extend functionality due to the abstraction involved and the way it is designed.

I am finding it fairly easy to do most of what the new InteractionSystem does, but I was really hoping to integrate the built-in bow and arrow functionality (which is far superior to the method including in VRTK); the new Player also would have made things like "help mode" (highlighting buttons and floating text) easier to integrate...

6. byrontik_croomo

byrontik_croomo

Hi did you have any success with this? I'd like this with steam 2
    ...I'd like to allow things like the raycasting/UI features of the Vive Input Utility

7. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

I would stay away from VRTK until it is able to support SteamVR 2.0, otherwise you may limit your ability to integrate Knuckles and other controllers into your game.

I just tried knuckles, and with bow/arrow they are great! so might be wise to ensure you don't use something that will not be able to support all this great new hardware.