Search Unity

Static object too reflective after baking

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by shakozzz, Jul 21, 2017.

1. shakozzz

shakozzz

I have some trees in my scene that are simply too "emissive" when baking. I stripped the scene down to a single tree to accelerate the bake for testing purposes. As you can see from the images, the tree forms a very visible green circle around itself with a much darker and smaller green circle directly underneath it. These are not shadows as I have shadows currently disabled. Furthermore, it stains the cliff behind it with the same green color.

upload_2017-7-21_15-8-39.png

upload_2017-7-21_15-9-21.png
    My settings can be found here. What do you guys think is causing this?

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Looks to me like you have too much light in general.

3. shakozzz

shakozzz

I have one directional light source. I know it looks very bright, but that's only in the editor. Once I deploy to Android the brightness is normal.
    I'm developing for the Gear VR.

4. Amitgp

Amitgp

Did you create your own UV for lightmaps? Did you make sure they don't overlap? Did you click preserve UV? Did you generate the UV through Unity? They look similar to the black spots which often is related to UV mapping issues. So please take a look and confirm.

5. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

These are Indirect Shadows and Indirect Light(GI) affects from skybox/ambient light source

upload_2017-7-21_15-9-21.png

6. shakozzz

shakozzz

Lightmap UVs are generated by Unity.

7. shakozzz

shakozzz

Is there a way to disable those effects completely or lessen them?
    Also they seem to disappear when shadows are turned on in the light source. I had shadows disabled so far.

8. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

Set indirect intensity to 0 from Lighting Window. Also id you have lights, set bounce intensity to 0 too

9. shakozzz

shakozzz

Doing that turns the whole scene black.
    upload_2017-7-27_9-27-5.png

10. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

So you can clean your lightmap data and use Color as ambient source without baking.
    We need Baking to add GI and Indirect Shadows affects into the scene

11. Amitgp

Amitgp

Yes, but you are better off creating your own. Custom made are more reliable and superior in their quality. You will avoid black spots more, black unclear shadow, and you can use lower quality settings to get better quality.

12. shakozzz

shakozzz

So you're saying that to get rid of the effects I would need to forgo baking altogether? In that case my scene wouldn't have shadows since I have Realtime Lighting disabled. I have also noticed previously that not baking the scene when the light source is mixed or baked causes low fps.

13. shakozzz

shakozzz

Well the models in my scene are imported from the asset store so I assumed the UV maps were to be used as is. Can I still make the UV maps myself if I haven't made the objects myself?

14. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

If you have direct light source, you must bake the light for higher performance.
    If you don't have light source, you don't need to bake lighting if you don't want GI or Indirect shadows.
    If you want to disable GI and bake only direct light source effect, I think it's not possible in unity 5 settings window

15. shakozzz

shakozzz

Thank you very much for the insight :)