Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Standard shader just washes out textures. I want no effects on my shader like 2d sprite

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by JDVDeisgn, Jul 17, 2017.

1. JDVDeisgn

JDVDeisgn

I'm creating an n64 style game and the standard shader is just totally awful and I don't know why they'd have such an awful standard shader. I just want the texture to appear unadulterated like they were in old n64 games. the 2d sprites have no stupid default effects on them, how do I make it so my 3d textures can just appear as they are, without unity's awful shader washing it out completely?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Try an unlit shader? Or a legacy one?

3. JDVDeisgn

JDVDeisgn

unlit makes it way brighter than the actual image and none of the legacy shaders perform the simple task of not manipulating the image... it should be the most simple thing but no...

4. bgolus

bgolus

An unlit shader, assuming it had no tint color setting, will display the texture exactly as it is. As it truly is. If you're comparing your image to what you see in something like Photoshop or Illustrator, those programs are not actually showing the image exactly as it is, but rather applying additional color management which by default increases the saturation and contrast making the image slightly darker.

If you want then to match look up disabling color management. You probably also want to set your Unity project to use Gamma color space which will better match the N64.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm surprised you think Photoshop's color management could be dramatic enough to explain this post. I also haven't noticed this, but I use GIMP for image processing.

OP, post side-by-side print-screens so we can see what shading you're seeing. That said, the unlit shader in my experience works as described here.

6. bgolus

bgolus

Could also be the OP is using two monitors that aren't calibrated to eachother, or the other issues I mentioned, but I've seen this issue in person and seen others complain about in the past on these forums a few times that color of sprites are wrong in Unity and every time the user has been authoring the content with an Adobe product.

Gimp does also have color management, but it defaults to "do nothing", ie: just display the colors as is. Photoshop (and Adobe products in general) doesn't have "nothing" as an option and will always do some amount of color correction. It's usually subtle enough to not be an issue, but if you're trying to perfectly match 1:1 with an Adobe product you're in for a world of pain.

The issue can be replicated pretty easily if you're using Photoshop by just taking a screenshot of the application (Alt+PrtScn) and pasting the image you're working on back into itself. Keep doing it a few times and the colors will be clearly altered. Do the same in Gimp and nothing will change.

Color swatch created in Gimp:
    ColorManagementTest - gimp original.png

Color swatch screen grabbed and pasted in Gimp 10 times:
    ColorManagementTest - gimp 10x Screengrab & Paste.png (it's identical, apart from the marque)

Color swatch opened in Photoshop, screen grabbed and pasted 10 times:
    ColorManagementTest - photoshop 10x Screengrab & Paste.png Going wonky ...

And it has nothing to do with pasting in Photoshop, it does no color management to images from the Window screen grab, doing a screen capture and pasting into Gimp and then opening that back in Photoshop shows the same color alteration.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Enlightening, but all the more reason I don't think of colors as specific colors but rather points in a vague range in some continuum. I select them based on their relationships to each other, and hope that the display can represent roughly the range I've chosen.

I also use a low-fi pallet though. You can't do that when you have more than like 6 colors.

And yeah, part of why I use GIMP in the first place for "image processing" is that it kinda just does not a lot at all, which is what I want.

8. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Unlit shader seems to colour match pretty good to me (for this sample I didn't worry about aliasing artifacts just brightness/colour) ...

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 9.01.08 PM.png