Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Stack traces not showing up on crashes in deployed (App Store) iOS builds

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by adamt, Aug 15, 2017.

1. adamt

adamt

We use HockeyApp to distribute our iOS and Android builds. When we deploy a new version via HockeyApp, we upload the .ipa and .apk files, respectively, alongside the .dSYM.zip file for iOS builds. When viewing exceptions or any code that issues a Debug.LogError statement generated in development builds (with these BuildOptions:
    BuildOptions.Development | BuildOptions.AllowDebugging | BuildOptions.StrictMode | BuildOptions.CompressWithLz4), we get stack traces in both HockeyApp and Unity Services' Performance tab. There still aren't any line numbers, but beggars can't be choosers.

However, when we deploy a production build, we lose out on those stack traces. Is this by design? Our production builds are built with simply
    BuildOptions.StrictMode | BuildOptions.CompressWithLz4, and are then uploaded directly to Apple for submission, but we still upload both the production .ipa and the .dSYM.zip files to HockeyApp for the express purpose of capturing exceptions. We build both our development and production builds using "Slow and Safe" script optimization.

Without the stack trace, it's pretty tricky to figure out where an exception is occurring, but this is crucial information in production builds, as I'm sure we can agree.

This issue has plagued us for as long as IL2CPP has been around, but I could've sworn I'd seen a note about it being fixed in 5.6 or 2017.1. We just switched our Android build to IL2CPP from Mono2x, so while I used to be able to reasonably rely on the stack traces we'd see in HockeyApp/Unity Services for the Android build up until this point, we might lose out on them entirely from now on.

Am I missing something simple here?

2. andymads

andymads

So for production builds you don't get a stack trace in Performance Reporting? If that's the case you could try reporting the problem in the forum.

I use Performance Reporting and get stack traces for exceptions in my App Store iOS apps.

I don't use a custom build and I have been using Slow and Safe although I'm switching to Fast but no Exceptions as I found out that it works in 5.6.

3. adamt

adamt

Thanks, @andymads. It looks like there are a few people out there with a similar issue -- not sure how I didn't find those posts when I searched the forum before posting this. I'll see if any of their feedback helps.