Search Unity

Sprites disappearing when zooming in, clipping problem?

Discussion in '2D' started by Drawtek, Mar 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drawtek

Drawtek

Hello community! Here's a recording of the problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ6U5qN47WQ

I'm pretty sure the problem has to do with clipping, if I have several objects at different Z-values they dissapear one after another. I've been searching for a solution to this problem and the best I can get is from this link:

https://www.3dbuzz.com/forum/threads/54000-When-i-zoom-in-objects-in-scene-disappear

"When I move around in a scene or zoom in, the objects/models disappear..."

"Right click on the viewport name and choose 'viewport clipping'..."

I can't find this, I honestly don't even know what a viewport is despite trying to find that out. I'm pretty sure this has a simple solution but I've been sitting here for one and a half hour going through every menu and I just can't find it. I can't remember changing any settings, I started Unity today and this problem just came out of nowhere. If anyone could help that would be very nice.

_protagonist likes this.
  2. Invertex

Invertex

The thread you link to is for 3DS Max... Not Unity, which is why you can't find the option. But for future reference, a "viewport", is the "port" you "view" things through. i.e: The Scene View.

As for the problem, I'm not aware of how to fix it other than to make your scene scale bigger.

3. MDragon

MDragon

The clipping planes itself is on your camera. By default, it's 0.3 (for the near clipping plane). Feel free to adjust it.

no1siddharthsharma likes this.
  4. Drawtek

Drawtek

Haha ok that explains it XD
    Adjusting this value does not remove my problem, I am not looking through the main camera I'm looking through the scene view, adjusting the main camera does nothing.

Edit: I just found a solution and because of it's nature I'm pretty sure the problem I had was a bug. To solve it, I simply pressed F when having an object selected. The camera would zoom in and show it to me, and the problem is now gone. I can scroll as much as I want there is no clipping for the scene view now. Sounds like the original problem was a bug to me.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  5. MrStanaland

MrStanaland

Fixed it for me too! Wow, definitly seems like a bug. I'd report it, but I don't want to be known as "that guy who keeps reporting minor issues".

6. VotaVader

VotaVader

Indeed it seems like a bug! Using 'F' to focus on one of the disappearing objects also fixed this for me, but it's definitely a strange behavior...

7. josessito

josessito

I know this thread is dead and old but this keeps happening, I wonder if someone in unity is aware of this

8. drothrock

drothrock

Just wanted to say that I was experiencing this as well, deleted all my models, reimported them, nothing fixed it.. then looked online, found this, pressed F, and boom. Everything is back to normal and magical. Thanks.

Trambulin and Stef_Morojna like this.
  9. Nillasarie

Nillasarie

Thank you guys so much I had a dead line And this just fixed my problem

10. srmols

srmols

Still happening, but the F workaround works. Thank you guys.

11. Stef_Morojna

Stef_Morojna

Thank you! That bug is so annoying.

12. sandboxed

sandboxed

Unity Technologies

If you move in too close to any sprite in the scene view it will be clipped (same concept as the camera near plane, except that the camera near plane affects the game view only).
    Pressing F with object selected, or double clicking the object in Hierarchy will place the scene viewing position such that the sprite is visible.

JoeStrout and Stef_Morojna like this.
  13. krisventure

krisventure

Awesome! Focusing on any object also fixed it for me! I've been using Unity for more than a year every day but this sometimes (rarely) happened and got worse and never noticed how it went away! It's definitely a bug as the 'clipping plane' grows unnaturally far at times without any reason so in the beginning I notice everything disappears already beyond an inch from my scene view edges. Then I keep working, a few hours later it's already 2 inches, regardless of what object I'm trying to look at, a 3D model or a particle. It never occured to me that I just have to randomly press focus on an object and the bug resolves itself and clipping plane is back to normal. I just got so frustrated today that I ended up looking it up and I'm glad there's a quick fix. Even though this seems like an age old issue and still not fixed by Unity.

14. Olink9

Olink9

Using Unity 2017 - this bug is still happening. The fix in this thread worked though.

gdbjohnson3 likes this.
  15. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

It's not a bug (as @sandboxed explains above). It's just how 3D graphics works.

16. JDAmador

JDAmador

why would the editor view not be so optimized or intuitive enough to not display, all objects, not set to hidden, in the editor as you zoom? seems unwarrantedly undefensive if not borderline inconvenient/unusable...what is benefitted or lost by allowing this to persist unimproved...just curious if there is a greater benefit that I can not see.

17. FLOOFYBEAR764

FLOOFYBEAR764

Its been almost 10 years later and this bug still hasn't been fixed.... I'm just glad the answer to the problem is simple. Anyway, I just want to say that this also helped me fix my problem of the sprites disappearing when I zoomed in, so thanks! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.