Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Spam fest on hidden forum in *.unity3d.com

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eskimojoe, Jun 11, 2014.

1. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

2. sphericPrawn

sphericPrawn

3. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

Wow, the spam is real..

4. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Make one appreciate how clean these forums are. It's like the suburban neighborhood with bad grafitis and wrecked houses over there. And on every corner there are several dealers ...
    Here on the other hand - smells like lavender and the birds are singing. :D

frosted likes this.
  5. Philip-Rowlands

Philip-Rowlands

I now have the bizarre image of Garret sneaking through the Old Quarter in Thief:Gold, but the zombies and Hammer Haunts wander around moaning about cheap Ray-Bans or washing machines.

6. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

I was thinking more along the lines of a really bad GTA suburb but your mental image is cool, too :D

7. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Nice find, nice way to take up resources.. Forum should be taken down and removed if not needed

8. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

It is needed, it's the uma forums. Needs moderated pretty bad right now, but similar attacks have happened here. It'll pass when ut gets ahold of it.

9. Murgilod

Murgilod

Why are the UMA forums needed? It looks like nobody has even posted there legitimately in more than five days.

10. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Well uma is cool open source stuff and practically game ready, for free, and is intended to become a pretty good tool to have generic avatars. I'd like to see the uma section stick around.

11. im

im

wow nice find, hope they remove the spam...

12. Murgilod

Murgilod

I checked and literally nobody is using the UMA section. It doesn't require its own dedicated, spam-filled forums.

13. TheRaider

TheRaider

It seems to me if needed it should be advertised better!

14. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

I've no idea who set that forum up. Seems odd that a subdomain got created and a forum hosted on it. We're trying to work out what's gone on.

15. LaneFox

LaneFox

Everybody just uses the Skype channel. I didn't even know there was a forum for it.

16. Whippets

Whippets

It's for UMA - to go with the wiki. Don't think it was supposed to be public just yet... Pretty sure it'll be sorted today

17. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

So, we're pretty much the suburbs

18. AndyLL

AndyLL

It was announced in the UMA forum thread. I think by UnLogick ( from unity )

Great idea but I think the UMA people are still mostly using Skype.

19. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

UnLogick isn't with Unity any more... And seems odd that we've a new forum set up that no-one except spammers use... When we have a forum that gets curated.

20. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

The spam bots got smart and started their own forum?!?! Is that what your saying Graham?!

21. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Let's hope that they waste CPU time sending spam to each other.

SememeS likes this.
  22. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

What if, when a person posts their. Its like a spam bot posting here. They just speak in a language made up of stuff from the internet including refrigerators and free movies.

SememeS likes this.
  23. minionnz

minionnz

What I find strange is the number of views on every topic.. Not only are they posting and replying to each other, but they're also reading - wonder if they're sending private messages as well?

SememeS likes this.
  24. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

hmm thats a bummer I didn't hear about Unlogick leaving UT, which is too bad cuz that kinda leaves UMA as a dead asset no? I had thought it was like a UT adopted project ya know...

EDIT: Hmm I am thinking of FernandoRibeiro who posted the thread on UMA when it went on the asset store. Is Unlogick and FernandoRibeiro the same guy? Either way he still seems to be cracking away at UMA... so if thats the case the forums should stay alive, perhaps even get merged with the normal forum under a subforum of its own.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  25. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

No, they are not the same person.

26. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Ok thanks for clearing that up. Any word on the fate of the uma forum?

27. Khyrid

Khyrid

I can imagine how in the future some massive amount of rouge programs will emerge as a true artificial intellegence. It will begin world domination whilst sending so much spam to the world's computers that every internet connected computer in the world freezes up. We would be helpless.

Spamagedon

28. primaerfunktion

primaerfunktion

Maybe we are the spam bots and are just too dumb to understand what is going on...

chelnok and AndyLL like this.
  29. Aurore

Aurore

30. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

31. Aurore

Aurore

I'm sorry I caused that.

32. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

33. chelnok

chelnok

Dont worry about it.. just another simulated emotion.

34. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there guys,

My name is Fernando Ribeiro, I´m the creator of UMA. As an open source solution, being the creator don´t mean that much after all, as UMA has received a ton of help and feedback from many other developers, you can check the GIT for the amount of commits it has received since day one.
    Right now we are discussing if the UMA forum will be kept at all. I don´t have any knowledge on servers and creating/maintaining a forum so my contribution on those areas were kept to minimum.
    We also have the wiki, http://uma.unity3d.com/ this is meant to be a place to share knowledge and tutorials, help new developers and read news about UMA. The tricky part is that right now UMA has been downloaded almost 10k times and we still have a very small number of devs sharing knowledge and even creating content.
    I´m not an Unity employee and I´m not working on UMA full time, I spend weekends and most of my free time recording video tutorials and working on new content so that UMA don´t die, but I won´t have time to manage the wiki and any existing forum.

Concerning all of that, I´m trying to reinforce something we´ve been writing many times at the forum, UMA is yours, and it will become what you make of it.

35. Amon

Amon

Which of us though is the 'one'?

36. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Not sure I understand your post =)

37. Khyrid

Khyrid

The anomoly that breaks free of the Matrix, what else?

38. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

If it's only spammers that are making use of the UMA forum, I think it needs to be powered down. If it's wanted by UMA users, then it'll need moderation. Presumably some of these users will step forward and own the site. It just looks odd to have a parallel, unloved system to these forums, which, whilst not perfect, do get a lot of traffic and are managed well by moderators and Unity admins. (And there is already a wiki for the community to use, so having a second one looks odd to me, too.)

39. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

Create a new section - UMA, Mechanim and IK.

sphericPrawn likes this.
  40. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

A section for all those?!?! Mechanim is an official part of Unity, I expect it to have its own not be forced in with UMA and IK(Not sure what you mean by this as its just an aspect of Mechanim, unless you mean custom IK) TBH they just shouldn't be on these forums at all, as they are not part of Unity, unless I'm extremely wrong about UMA but AFAIK its just that some UT employees are involved but UT isn't.

41. ecurtz

ecurtz

Does the new forum design let us have sub-forums? If so a UMA section under Support or Collaboration would be a nice solution. The initial development of UMA was sponsored by UT, so it is semi-official but how much seems to vary depending on who at Unity you're talking to.

42. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I think UMA is great, and to keep those forums alive is kind of the right thing to do. Maybe like I said earlier just a new subforum off the main support forum, specifically for UMA, and just eliminate the whole "sorta hidden" forum that is being spammed up. Then its easier for UMA users to find, and easier for mods to keep an eye on it.

43. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there Graham,
    I´m waiting an answer from Caitlyn and David on that subject, as soon I have news I´ll take the necessary steps.

44. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Well, we've redirected the forum to the wiki. So most of the damage control is done.

45. goat

goat

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...ieve-they-may-have-answered-the-question.html

It's not a 'matrix', it's a 'sponge' but that's splitting hairs. A matrix would cause an infinite number of singularities like a nauseating Riemann Sum. An all powerful computer would be called God in English, to call God a computer is ridiculous. God would have a will and could simulate wills. A monotheistic religion would require everything it created to be contained in it's creation and it's thought process reflected in in it's designs. How could an artificial universe continue to exist that wasn't tended to?

http://gizmodo.com/this-is-the-first-computer-in-history-to-have-passed-th-1587780232

The 'Turing Test' being defeated by a computer is simply taking advantage, some would say abuse, of human being's trust in other human beings. If they were told a dolphin was responding to them, they'd be much more skeptical.

46. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

47. Ony

Ony

New movie: "@eskimojoe : The Ever Vigilant SPAM Cop"

frosted and Debhon like this.