Search Unity

Sort animation dropdown list

Discussion in 'Animation' started by v2-Ton-Studios, Jul 18, 2017.

1. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

Is there a way to sort the animation dropdown list?

It currently seems to be done using "date added" with the oldest at the top, but I'd really like it to be alphabetic.

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Sounds like a feature request. ;)

Are you still doing 2D character animations?
    I wanted to inquire about the animations you were having issues with - Animation panel causing slowdowns when the animations were quite long, as I recall.

3. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

Definitely a feature request :)... I was hoping there was a way to "hack" around it by editing the animation window's save state or using reflection to force a sorting of this guy through an editor add on.

Yes, still doing 2d character animation, in unity, using a 2d rig approach. Example of work here...

"I wanted to inquire about the animations you were having issues with - Animation panel causing slowdowns when the animations were quite long, as I recall."

Seems like something for a different thread :), PM me here or message me on Twitter.

Cheers.

Mecanim-Dev and theANMATOR2b like this.
  4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

No bother if it is solved now. I think it seemed to be a version issue back in the middle 5x versions.

Glad you are still on track - and by the way - can't wait to play that AWESOME looking game!! :eek:

Gotchya on twitter - will follow.

5. nickfourtimes

nickfourtimes

Bit of a bump here... formerly (before 5.6/2017), I could use an editor script to reorder the list of animations in an Animation component (not Mecanim Animator). Then, in the drop-down list in the animation window (shown out-of-order in the original post), the list of animations would reflect the order in the component. Thus, I could order them alphabetically in the component list, and see them alphabetically in the drop-down.

However, currently on 2017 (2017.1.0f3), I can reorder the component alphabetically, but the drop-down seems completely arbitrary. This does indeed make the drop-down difficult to navigate when we have GameObjects with many animation clips attached (200+ in some cases).

Is that a known regression, a will-not-fix, or otherwise?

6. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

v2-Ton-Studios likes this.
  7. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

Most excellent! Thanks a ton!

8. JonnyHilly

JonnyHilly

what if I cant upgrade to 2017, any way I can do this via script in 5.6 please ?

9. JonnyHilly

JonnyHilly

for those of you stuck with this before 2017, you can still re-order the list via script... in an editor script like this...
    Select the gameobject with the animator in Hierarchy, then run your editor script... startign off with something like this..

Code (CSharp):
    1.         var selected = Selection.GetFiltered<GameObject>(SelectionMode.Editable).First();
    2.         var animator = selected.GetComponent<Animator>();
    3.         var controller = AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath<AnimatorController>(AssetDatabase.GetAssetPath(animator.runtimeAnimatorController));
    Once you have the controller you can dig down into the Statemachine hierarchy until you find arrays with motions, then sort by motion name.

10. iprogrammer

iprogrammer

Still nothing?

11. playemgames

playemgames

Would be even better to have a search filter at least to select an animation clip on an animator with hundreds of clips, I hate the dropdown so much these days because of that. Been wanting this for years now.

Strance likes this.
  12. unity_TEkEHKcvu5sRAw

unity_TEkEHKcvu5sRAw

just found this, think it is weird there is still no possibility to search something in here. would be very helpful.
    note how i cannot see the top or the end xD

upload_2024-3-3_14-39-59.png