Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Some questions about the new Mono compiler

Discussion in 'Experimental Scripting Previews' started by sebas77, Sep 28, 2016.

1. sebas77

sebas77

• Is the official latest mono compiler used? The one modified after Microsoft purchased xamarin?
    • Will it now be possible to use other .net profilers to profile a stand alone windows application?

2. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Yes, the Mono version in this preview build is from Xamarin's master branch in Github from a few weeks ago.

Anything that works with Mono should work, although we've not tried anything here. I'd like to hear about what works and what does not work though.

3. sebas77

sebas77

that blows my mind. If something like dottrace or similar works, it's a game changer!

4. liortal

liortal

I was about to ask the same question. Note that profilers such as DotTrace or ANTS profiler work on .NET assemblies and not on Mono assemblies (not sure mono is supported).

Mono has its own built - in support for profiling, but you have to invoke the runtime using special profiling arguments. Not sure this is something you have control over when Unity is loading the Mono environment.

5. sebas77

sebas77

since MS bought Xamarin, I expect some form of compatibility with the newer tools.

6. liortal

liortal

These things take time. I haven't heard any announcement regarding such a thing yet.

On the other hand- tools that rely on IL only should work since both Mono and .NET produce the same IL. I think that most profilers also rely on support from the runtime itself, so they are not (YET) compatible with Mono, even with this upgrade..

7. joncham

joncham

Unity Technologies

Correct, I believe most profilers use the CLR COM profiler APIs which means they don't work with mono.