Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

[Solved] What does Unity do with Archived projects?

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by artician, Jul 8, 2017.

1. artician

artician

Noting that there is no way to actually delete what has been uploaded to Collaborate, for what purpose does Unity retain this data?

2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @artician! Our new archiving system is essentially a recoverable delete button. If you archive a game it will be removed from your dashboard and will not connect to any of the services. We feel that this way it is safer for you, in case you change your mind and want that game back, you can easily unarchive it. If you never change your mind, then it will just remain on our system but not on yours.

3. artician

artician

Thank you for your reply.

Those are potentially wonderful sounding benefits for the user, but I was mostly curious how Unity was benefiting from retaining all their customers past projects seemingly indefinitely. Given today's common business models I would expect a company to use this data to generate additional revenue via other channels, and Unity has moved quite a ways in that direction in recent years. Is that actually not the case here?

Thank you again.

4. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

https://unity3d.com/legal/terms-of-service/collaborate Section 5 details how you can request to have your project deleted. Keep in mind that once it's deleted, it's gone from our servers forever. We have no way of recovering that deleted project (hence why we typically only offer archiving as an option, which can be undone). But you do have the option to have it deleted whenever you want.

5. hazeezet

hazeezet

Achieving a project does it remove my revenue also.