Search Unity

[SOLVED] Unity 5.1 Crash in Playmode

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by S_P_S, Jun 9, 2015.

1. S_P_S

S_P_S

Hello,

just downloaded the the new Unity 5.1 release.

I opened my project (previously created with Unity 5.1 (Beta)) in Unity and by hitting Play, the Editor crahshes. Both the 32-bit and 64-bit Version crashes. I am using Windows 7.

Help would be nice.

Regards

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Do you have any meshes without materials assigned? Regardless, post a bug report please.

3. Bennett-Lynch

Bennett-Lynch

Same problem here. Error-free project in previous version is freezing the editor every time I try to play in 5.1. Will submit a bug report but I'd caution anyone considering upgrading to wait to see how widespread this problem is.

4. greg-harding

greg-harding

Error-free project from 5.0.2f1 also not working in 5.1.0f3 - missing behaviours and currently appears to have some missing defines in the script projects as well so they're not compiling correctly. Trying to track it down now...

Edit: Missing defines was Xamarin/MonoDevelop switching to Release mode where no constants are defined. Switching back to debug fixes that. However, the initial re-import that 5.1.0f3 performs on the older project still breaks a few behaviours (they go missing).

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  5. S_P_S

S_P_S

This problem even occurs if I build a new project with the new 5.1. But I also found out that it mostly only occurs if "Virtual Reality Supported" in PlayerSettings is checked. And I think it also occurs if "Virtual Reality Supported" is unchecked but you have "VRSettings..." Code that run.

Regards

tessa101 likes this.
  6. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

When you have done a little more digging and sent over a bug report, please post the bug number here.

7. S_P_S

S_P_S

Case 702920

Regards

Aurore likes this.
  8. Aurore

Aurore

Can you try to remove any previous Oculus plugins and assets from your project, or update to the latest version that supports 5.1 as advised in the release notes.

9. Bennett-Lynch

Bennett-Lynch

Mine randomly started working after having to force close it a few times. Really didn't change anything so not sure what more information I can provide. I'm now having a problem with some sprites I use for buttons randomly disappearing (that was not present in the previous version). Case 702918 but my project folder was far too large to submit.

10. Aurore

Aurore

Please try to keep different issues separate as this is a thread for a VR issue, please make another thread in the appropriate forum.

11. S_P_S

S_P_S

As I said I build a complete new project so there are no Oculus plugins (not even any asset) and in the other project I removed every oculus Script, Plugin and Prefab.

What I did:
    created a new project > imported nothing >went to Project Settings > Player > checked "Virtual Reality Supported" > hit play > Unity crashes

Dont know what to do.

EDIT: The issue is the same, whether I have a Rift connected or I have not.

Regards

12. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Do you have the 0.6 Oculus runtime?

13. S_P_S

S_P_S

I think my problem is solved. The Oculus runtime was the problem. I forgot that I downgraded the Runtime a few days ago, because with the Unity 5.1 Beta you should use the older Runtime.
    Now I have the 0.6 Runtime installed and it seems to be working.

Special thanks to you, LennartJohansen! Also thank you Aurore that you took care!

Regards

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    Aurore likes this.
  14. gangafinti

gangafinti

Hi guys, so I have a oculus DK1 and unity 5.1 and I installed the lates oculus runtime SDK. The problem is that one I start up my build it crashes one 100% of the time. First it wouldn't detect a HDM but this page fixed thathttp://thenappingkat.azurewebsites.net/oculus-headset-unity-error-no-hmd-detected/ so now I put it on extende and run the oculus on the second screen which is my main screen. Does anyone have any idea why my build crashes 100% of the time? I exported my simple unity project whith Virtual Reality Suport on in the player settings. I have a deadline today and if someone knows the awnser to my problem I would be so insanely happy! :)

15. thep3000

thep3000

Unity Technologies

0.6.0 runtime has known issues with DK1 which Oculus is working on fixing. In the meantime it is recommended to use the legacy Oculus Unity Integration package and keep the "Virtual Reality Supported" checkbox unchecked for DK1.

16. boxatom

boxatom

Hi, I received a DK2 this week, I installed the 0.6.0 runtime. If I build a project it works with the Unityplugin from oculus on oculus website. But when in editor, with the VRSupported... unity crashes as soon as I hit play.... By the way its unity 5.1. What am I missing?

17. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

Make sure you are using gamma lighting and that no objects in the scene reference the legacy Pluging. Linear lighting will be fixed in the next 5.1 patch. Are there any errors in the log? Is Unity crashing or just exiting Play mode? If Unity is crashing, have you submitted a bug report?

18. boxatom

boxatom

Found out the problem.... on the unity's documentation for VR, read something about demo scene should work on oculus config.... I got confused because some apps did work and some did't, I had to set it as Extend Desktop to the HMD for it to work.... Then I launched Shoot Hero that was designed for mobile and desktop, and it worked automatically in the oculus... there are some stuff that needs to get fixed but could play it instantly... and it was nice, now can see the game from a new perspective.

19. VegetarianZombie

VegetarianZombie

Just an FYI ... I'm running into this problem. If I check Enable VR Support, and then run the game, the editor will crash to the desktop. I'm guessing this is because I've unhooked my headset from my computer. It's not a big deal because these are just sample projects and I'm sure if I plug in my headset, the problem will resolve itself.

Just for the sake of info, do you need to have your headset plugged in when VR Support is enabled?

Thanks

20. RedSaturnSix

RedSaturnSix

I'm having this issue now too. My DK 2 is plugged in.

21. gamegirl1984

gamegirl1984

Anyone fix this? I just downloaded unity 5 and I have the box checked for VR but after I exit Play unity crashes. I have the new runtime...

22. thep3000

thep3000

Unity Technologies

23. 2cuppaDay

2cuppaDay

Thanks @thep3000, disabled Anti Aliasing in Quality Settings solve Unity crash when exit play mode with VR support enabled. Using DK2, runtime 0.7.0.

24. jayseaCODE

jayseaCODE

Thanks @thep3000 that worked! I am using DK2, Unity 5.1.3f1, Oculus Runtime 0.6.0.1

25. dovoto_

dovoto_

Had similar issues...

Win 10, DK1 with newest SDK/utilities from Oculus (as of today) and newest unity (5.3.0f4 personnel).

Scene was working fine yesterday, left unity on overnight, sat down and pressed play to remember where I was at and Unity crashed. If I deleted my Oculus camera rig it works.

Unchecking the VR support in player settings seemed to have no affect on running it from within unity.

This appears to be an Oculus runtime issue not a unity issue (just adding it here because there is a seemingly simple fix for others that might look here first). If you just restart the Oculus runtime service in windows it seems to fix the issue. At least, this fixes it for me.

26. indrajith

indrajith

For some reasons, none of the above said methods fixed my issue. But my issue got solved by following the steps said here .