Search Unity

[Solved] two Q's: SLA and self-hosted ?

Discussion in 'Unity IAP' started by hello1111, May 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hello1111

hello1111

howdy -

we're considering using Unity IAP as part of a new app, and have some questions. hopefully someone has the knowledge & time to fill me in.
    1. What's the SLA like ? One thing i worry about with free services is there IS no SLA. I don't see any complaints in some searching, but would like to see more. The unity IAP service doesn't seem to appear on the Unity Cloud System Status Page.

2. Is it possible to host the backend of the IAP API ourselves ? ie, write and/or host our own backend for this.
    thanks,
    Orion

2. Nyankoooo

Nyankoooo

Unity IAP is not a real service, but only a wrapper to handle the different IAP workflows.

3. hello1111

hello1111

Thanks for the reply.

I would love that to be the case.
    But then why does it require adding your project to Unity Services ?
    Is that just for reporting ?

4. Nyankoooo

Nyankoooo

As far as I know, yes.
    You can even download the IAP package from the asset store, eg. when you can't use the service because there was/is a bug with a previous version of Unity.

5. hello1111

hello1111

ah, thank you.

do you know what mechanism enables this functionality: ?
    "When returning Pending, Unity IAP keeps transactions open on the underlying store until confirmed as processed, ensuring consumable purchases are not lost even if a user reinstalls your application while a consumable is in this state."

looking through the iOS source from the asset store, i don't see it persisting anything locally.
    maybe i'm missing it.

6. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@hello1111,

Unity IAP is a pass-through API. However, all IAP reporting is done through the Analytics service, which is required to enable Unity IAP. And Analytics is listed in the Cloud Status page.

As you mentioned, Unity IAP (and Analytics, Ads, etc) are free services, which we strive to ensure are reliable and available consistently. However, there is no formal SLA in place for our Analytics service.

Other than the reporting feature, there are currently no backend features for Unity IAP. There is no inventory management built into the system, so all of that would be the responsibility of the individual developer.

@MardukCorp

The IAP package from the Asset Store still requires Unity Services. It is just an alternate way to discover IAP.

Unity Purchasing keeps a transaction log on the device. (The location and mechanism depends on the platform). It likely isn't in the IAP plugin; it will be handled in the part of IAP that is integrated into the engine.

Are you having issues with that specific functionality?

7. hello1111

hello1111

fantastic, this is great info.
    thanks for the reply.

no, i'm deciding whether to use the unity IAP framework or to roll our own,
    and it seems clear that we should start with the unity framework.

thanks again.

ap-unity likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.