Search Unity

[Solved]Minimum Mac OS version required to run a build - How to determine?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by methos5k, Apr 10, 2017.

1. methos5k

methos5k

Update/Edit:
    https://unity3d.com/unity/system-requirements
    Shows both what's required to develop and to run!

Is there a trusted way to know what OS version would be required to run a copy of a game made in Unity for Mac?
    I feel a bit silly asking this, because I'm not using the OS's API directly, but nonetheless.. If there is such a thing to consider, it would be good to know. :)

(can safely assume the newest version is okay, and since Mac OS updates are free, provided people can run it, I can use that until I have a different answer).

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

It's a good question. If I wanted to publish system requirements for my game, I wouldn't know what to put there.

3. User340

User340

4. methos5k

methos5k

Wow, I immediately ignored reading that page because I assumed it would mention only the development side. Bad assumption, and thank-you for pointing that out, @_Daniel_

5. ModLunar

ModLunar

Now it's MacOS Sierra 10.12+

I worry that it'll go up so fast that the first Mac computer I get now will be obsolete in just a few years.. :/
    I need one for testing to support the MacOS platform properly and do QA..

6. elbows

elbows

MacOS Sierra came out 4 years ago and runs on hardware that was released as long ago as late 2009.

So using that as a guide, I dont think 'a few years' is likely to apply in future either.

Apples switch to their own CPUs may shake things up further in the next few years but any issues on that front will go well beyond Unity.

7. ModLunar

ModLunar

@elbows Ahh.. thanks for the clarification.
    That makes me feel better about recently buying a 2015 Macbook Air for MacOS build testing for my Unity game project.

I think I was worried due to a combination of not being familiar with MacOS versions, and the only mac in the house being my dad's which he doesn't want to update haha.
    Thanks!