Search Unity

[ Solved ] Graphics Glitch

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Cody-Rauh, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

Answer: Turn off mipmaps.

Currently I have the error below. It moves with character camera depending on angle.

I am using point filter not bi or tri linear as those blur the edges of my voxel items.
    I suspect the error is related, but need to resolve it while still being able to use point filter.

1. What is the name/term for the issue?
    2. How do I fix it?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  2. bgolus

bgolus

That's caused by having mip maps enabled.

You might also want to think about using something like the RetroAA asset.
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/retro-aa-antialiasing-for-pixel-art-and-voxel-games.412287/

It uses normal bilinear filtering or anisotropic filtering on mip mapped textures and some shader magic to get the look of point sampled texture but with anti-aliasing. You can try my basic unit version of the shader to see if you like the look.
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/retro-shader-problems.464185/#post-3021722

3. Cody-Rauh

Cody-Rauh

I was using point, which gave desired effect except for error.

Bilinear + trilinear doesn't solve problem until >0 on anisotropic filtering textures become blurry.

Unfortunately I purchased the Retro AA solution, imported it, I see scripts are working and running but still blurry on texture on bilinear or trilinear even with aniso. I contacted asset store owner for support, still would appreciated any help through here in the meantime.

P.S. Thanks for the reply bgolus, helps me get in the right direction.

4. bgolus

bgolus

For RetroAA you'll want at least an anisotropic level of >4, or have anisotropic filtering forced on in the quality settings (which sets all textures with the aviso level value set to 1 it higher to at least 9).

Or keep point filtering and turn off mip generation.