Search Unity

[ Solved ][ Bug: DOTWeen ] UGUI editor refresh issues - Unity 5.4.1f1 / 5.4.2f1

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by JDMulti, Oct 4, 2016.

1. JDMulti

JDMulti

I've got a certain amount of editor GUI bugs that come up whenever I try go create a 2d GUI.

Bug 1: strange error messages that show up whenever I start editing some GUI elements. They look like:

SUCCEEDED(hr)
    rc.right == m_GfxWindow->GetWidth() && rc.bottom == m_GfxWindow->GetHeight()

Bug 2: Sometimes GUI elements that are in front of another big GUI element do disappear being this big element. I have 1 single canvas, then 1 big Image which functions as a background with some Text elements on top. However these Text elements do disappear behind the background. I can see a clear z-fighting error happen where elements turn pink.
    As soon when I select these z-fighting elements and move them 1 pixel, the issue stops. However after few minutes it happens again. Inside a game this issue is not happening and the GUI is just fine, but inside the editor this is bugging me for days now.

Bug 3: Text elements are totally destroyed in editor and have random letters appear until I move them 1 pixel. The whole text is messed up unless I move them. This happens every few minutes. Starting the game does have them appear just fine.

I've reported these issues around version 5.3 or something and now they appear again. Why is this happening and how can something that has been fixed bugging me again?

I'm using Unity3D 5.4.1f1.

At the moment working with sophisticated GUI designs this is making me really nuts.

Unity 5.4.1p2
    Reported: 837925

Unity 5.4.2f1
    Reported: 840970 ( actual bug report to be fixed )

Example screenshots:

It went from screen 1, to 2 and 3. I have this every single time I add text to my application using the GUI.

This issue happens a little less, but it seems that sometimes UI Image is z-fighting with the other images lower in stack, while it needs to be on top. Also the image will turn pink out of nothing. Saving or moving UI elements fixes this.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    MrEsquire likes this.
  2. JDMulti

JDMulti

Does someone else experience these bugs or am I the only one feeling to report this? :)

3. dama_kawa

dama_kawa

I also experienced the weird SUCCEEDED(hr) error message. In addition to that, when I start a new project now, objects in the scene view appear normally, but they look completely pixelated and awful in the game view. I'm not sure if these two are related, but I only got the error once the pixelation problem started.

unity-pixel-problem.PNG

4. Jeff303

Jeff303

to dama_kawa*
    Pay attention to the top of your screen there is scale slider in game window and you just zoomed your game so you dont have any problem)

What about topic problem i also have such problems since 5.4(console show these errors) unity but apparently that doesnt affect anyhow on my builds(except that gibberish with each text ui but it solves by changing any parameter of any text ui object((change size for exmpl)) however there is strange problem with rescaling on android devices in some cases ui text doesnt scale properly and stretches in width to wrong proportions EVEN if THEY ARE IDENTICAL containers for exact ui text objects so the target size somehow triggering that stretch, i dont know why its so, but i hope im doing something wrong and i hope for some advices on my problem too)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  5. JDMulti

JDMulti

I've added a screenshot of a piece of text which has display issues every single time I focus another application else then unity editor.

I've tried Unity 5.4.2f1 and this issue still exists and should have been fixed by now. I've reported this issue the last year about 4 times and which 2 times at the account I used for this report. Reported for 5.4.1 and 5.4.2 and still no fix.

It's incredible annoying, so I added a screenshot to show my frustration ( see first post ). Last time people told me at Unity conference to post every bug you encounter to help them fix it. So every single release I'll come back until it's gone. Thanks!

6. JDMulti

JDMulti

Posted another screenshot of UI image z-fighting with other images. All this is happening on a single canvas and every time unity has been minimized or is not on window focus. Saving or moving ui elements will fix this issue.

7. JDMulti

JDMulti

Unity Devs are looking into this issue but can't reproduce it. If any of you have this issue, take a little time to give a short example with screenshot about what's happening. So they take a deeper look into this issue. Hopefully it will be fixed soon! =)

8. JDMulti

JDMulti

Thanks to the fast respond today of some unity developers, they found out the 3rd party plugin DOTween was causing this issue. So case closed!

9. Dreams

Dreams

Can you share the solution, if you found one?
    I depend on DOTween a lot, so I want to keep the plugin, but I'd like to remove the bugs.

10. JDMulti

JDMulti

Remove all .mdb files from the folder of DOTween included all other folders inside there. There is one more folder 'editor', where you need to do the same.

I've had contact with the DOTween creator and a Unity QA person to fill in a bug related to a certain .mdb converter which has a bug that creates .mdb files that will mess around with UGUI elements or something. I don't know exactly the technical specs, but they're working on it.
    Daniele ( DOTween creator ) couldn't fix the problem, but told me to remove all .mdb files. If you want to read it all, read the log of the bugreport ;)

Dreams likes this.